• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Iron Butt

Leavin at 3 A.M. in the morning for Van Horn and back.
Sunday I'm gonna get up and ride to Clarendon and back.
1500 miles in 36 hours is my plan. Wish me luck.:rider:

L

lonestarrider

Good luck and have a good ride. Don't forget to look at your receipts for proper time stamps.

M38A1

Admin
Ride safe!

We MIGHT cross paths. I'm leading five guys on their first Ironbutt run Saturday as well. Austin/San Antonio/Sierria Blanca/Midland/Big Spring/Ausitn

Van Horn maybe 11am ish??????

~m
IBA #7916

KenH

Inactive Member
Forum Supporter
I know well the agony of deseat. I hope yours is much more comfortable than mine. I did a SS last year. I'll be doing a IB1500 soon, maybe next week. I expect the IB will be easier on the new bike than the SS on a TW200.

If your route is all interstate and you make stops quick, you can actually average 70mph. You are only looking at about 21.5 hours of actual ridng, counting gas stops. That leaves 14.5 hours for a rest period. I intend to plan on a good night's rest between two days of riding. It is much safer that way.

Valker

Forum Supporter
Leavin at 3 A.M. in the morning for Van Horn and back.
Sunday I'm gonna get up and ride to Clarendon and back.
1500 miles in 36 hours is my plan. Wish me luck.:rider:
Sounds like a nice ride. Be very careful on the Clarendon leg...lots of deer in the area. Do NOT speed through Estelline!!! There is a Shell station in Clarendon that had accurate time stamps when I was there a few weeks ago, but the Allsups pumps were off with the time.
Have a good time.:rider:

Last edited:

M38A1

Admin
That is about the time we'll be there.
Will you be on the Beemer in your Avatar?
Yes. The Mandarin Pig will have in tow two Goldwings, a Wee-Strom, and two HD alphabet soup names. We'll buzz in I10 to Sierria Blanco, backtrack and take 20 up to BigSpring. What are you on?

Do NOT speed through Estelline!!!
My good friend is the sheriff of Motley County (......but he's in shreveport this weekend :trust: )

Valker

Forum Supporter
My good friend is the sheriff of Motley County (......but he's in shreveport this weekend :trust: )
Local guy is the one who you need to watch out for....Tickets are the largest revenue source for the town.

Yes sir, thanks.
I left Justin at 2:30 A.M.
Arrived in Van Horn at 11: A.M.
Fought a 35 MPH crosswind all the way home.
Got back to Justin at 8:30 P.M. 1027 miles/18 Hrs.
It was not fun. I would suggest anyone thinking about an Iron Butt to do point A to point B. That round trip stuff is a little tiresome and boring.
I am wore out.
I surrender.
Calf-rope.
Uncle.

Local guy is the one who you need to watch out for....Tickets are the largest revenue source for the town.
My wife Martha is from Matador. Her Uncle was County Judge and Church of Christ preacher there for years.Martha still owns a ranch there. I think there is less than a thousand people in the whole county.

M38A1

Admin
Heck, NO!
Just wishful thinkin on my part.:giveup:
I finished my second saddlesore yesterday and I was thinking about you and your comment of going for the 1500. I was ready to get off that pony at 1075 wondering how you go 1500. lol....

Matador county has about 1400 in it now according to Michael Crutchley, the sheriff. I think it's 400 each or so between Matador and Roaring Springs with the rest spread throughout.

I finished my second saddlesore yesterday and I was thinking about you and your comment of going for the 1500. I was ready to get off that pony at 1075 wondering how you go 1500. lol....

Matador county has about 1400 in it now according to Michael Crutchley, the sheriff. I think it's 400 each or so between Matador and Roaring Springs with the rest spread throughout.
I believe Matador is the County Seat of Motley, County.
Not trying to be picky.
My bad.
http://www.co.motley.tx.us/ips/cms

I expect the IB will be easier on the new bike than the SS on a TW200.
By the end of my MSF class last weekend, I really liked that little TW200, but I can't imagine riding one for 1000 miles, especially in 24 hours. You have my respect.

Ken,

It is only 14 miles of cushion. Leaving toward Union City adds another 6 miles without adding any time but you would then need receipts at the start and again in Union City. The rest of the route looks pretty straightforward.

Good luck and ride safe.

drfood

Forum Supporter
FinalBags--Congrats! I'm thinking about doing the IB in the Spring. Definitely will take your advice on a 1 way thing. Maybe a loop vs backtracking.

M

Mike in Clear Lake

How many of you guys put on auxiliary lighting like the IBA site recommends?

M38A1

Admin
I've added a set of PIAA 520???? to my R1150GS simply due to the woefully inadequate stock lights. The difference in riding at night with the PIAA's vs without is literally night and day. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to ride at night without aux lighting, especially for the longer distances. That and trying to minimize the amount of dark on the front and tail ends makes the ride easier.

On the ST I had PIAA 1100x's and EC fork lights. On the Wing, I just replaced the standard bulbs with Silverstar Ultra's and have fog lights. The lights on the Wing are amazing... click "brights" and it's daylight. :sun:

M

Mike in Clear Lake

Did you guys do anything for the rear, like the LED license plate holders?

FinalBags--Congrats! I'm thinking about doing the IB in the Spring. Definitely will take your advice on a 1 way thing. Maybe a loop vs backtracking.
I'm thinking Houston, NOLA, Dallas, Houston.
I think that is around a 1000 miles.
I may have it wrong.

I'm thinking Houston, NOLA, Dallas, Houston.
I think that is around a 1000 miles.
I may have it wrong.
I would pick a trip out west instead if it were my first.
Past weekend I rode I-10 to I-12 to I-55 to McComb Miss on the KTM and be warned there is a lot of road construction. On the way to McComb Baton Rouge rush hour traffic slowed my overall average to 59 mph. Took a slightly different route home, stopping in Orange and Beaumont for courthouse photos slowed my overall average to 56 mph.

Look at Hyper-Lites for rear brake lighting.

A loop is a bad idea... you have to stop a each turn for a receipt :doh: Straight out and back would be the best. And as Dave said, after all the Hurricane Ike stuff, and previous hurricane damages... head west (plus the 75mph limit in your favor) :trust:

Out and back sucked for me.
The perfect deal would be a straight shot toward California. Ride till you get the 1000 miles then take 2 days to come home. Might even be able to get a Bun-Burner in there.Having done the out & back deal, I would recommend a 3 day trip to get it done.
That is the opinion of this old man.

M

Mike in Clear Lake

Out and back sucked for me.
The perfect deal would be a straight shot toward California. Ride till you get the 1000 miles then take 2 days to come home. Might even be able to get a Bun-Burner in there.Having done the out & back deal, I would recommend a 3 day trip to get it done.
That is the opinion of this old man.
Houston to Cocoa Beach, FL is almost exactly 1,000 miles (with a small overage buffer).

L

lonestarrider

First congratulations on the successful SS1000 guys. I did my first Saddlesore on secondary highways from the panhandle to Fredricksburg on a loop route. It was very scenic and actually fun. How about looking at this route for your next SS 1000 ride:
SS10004finalbags.jpg

Yes sir, thanks.
It was not fun. I would suggest anyone thinking about an Iron Butt to do point A to point B. That round trip stuff is a little tiresome and boring.
I am wore out.
I surrender.
Calf-rope.
Uncle.
It will take the startch out of ya :giveup: Congrats..... now you get to wait forever to get your cert.

voyagerrider

Forum Supporter
Yes sir, thanks.
I am wore out.
I surrender.
Calf-rope.
Uncle.
Congrats on your finish! Kathy and I did ours last year. We did 1123 miles in 22 hours before stopping for about 3.5 hours then back on the bikes again. We rode all the way to El Paso before turning around then we stopped in Sonora. The reason it took us so long for that distance was we were doing another ride for TMRA and had to get a checkpoint at Gualupe Peak & the Aerial Tramway in El Paso. We were trying for a BB1500, but made a bad route choice coming out of San Antonio on US281. Nice ride, but going through all of small towns slows you down. Then we hit bad thunderstrom which stopped us for about 1 and half hours. We missed the 1500 by about 1 hour.
We will try again soon, I have been talking to her about doing a RAT(Ride Around Texas). I think she may be more interested in doing that then a BB1500 Gold. Although she thinks it kind of neat when people ask her about the Iron Butt license plate frame on her 1100 VStar. Not bad for a little Grandmother & Great-grandmother.
Marty