• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Is GoPro still the way to go?

kubotamiketx

Forum Supporter
I have a really old GoPro Hero 2, that works ok, but you can never tell where it is pointed until after the ride, so many times I end up with a shot that is too low, too high, left, right, etc.

Not that I want to add yet another new battery device to my pre-ride preparation but what is the best way to go for ride recording?

GoPro Hero 4?

kubotamiketx

Forum Supporter
I have LOTS of tractor work, cutting cedars, burning huge piles of cedars and some mountain biking, nothing on the motorcycle yet.

garfey

Forum Supporter
Have you turned any of that raw footage into a presentable video? Links? :deal: :-)
I also have an "older" GoPro, a never-used Hero 3 Black. After reading a bit, the whole "turn any of that raw footage into a presentable video" process struck me as too much like unpaid work to be enjoyable, hence, never-used (though I keep the batteries charged and ready).

I had an older go pro and didn't like it. I used a Contour and loved it. I now have the new one touch Go Pro and it does record nice. They are easier to mount in places as well.

thrill-billy85

Forum Supporter
I've got the app for mine so I can turn on the blue tooth, and see what angle and fov it's recording, on my phone. The BT drains the battery quick so when I'm satisfied with the angle, I turn it off and start recording.

Everide uses the Sony action cam. I like it better than the gopro

I also have an "older" GoPro, a never-used Hero 3 Black. After reading a bit, the whole "turn any of that raw footage into a presentable video" process struck me as too much like unpaid work to be enjoyable, hence, never-used (though I keep the batteries charged and ready).
Man, that's some pricey farkles to be layin around idle...

garfey

Forum Supporter
Man, that's some pricey farkles to be layin around idle...
Fits, though . . . I'm a pricey farkle and I'm lyin' around idle much of the time. :rofl:

(I'll be here all week, Folks; tell your friends and neighboogers!)

Last edited:
The Hero 3 or newer all come wifi enabled and can be controlled from a smart phone with the GoPro app. This to me was a HUGE improvement. The on camera controls are a pain. But with the app you can control all settings from your phone and get a preview of where/what you are shooting. I think the Hero2's you have to add a wifi backpack to them.

A BIG advantage of the GoPro is that mounts and accessories are easy to get, and loads of options. I bought a bundle of mounts and accessories from amazon for like $30!! They're knock off's and fit in finish isn't as nice as GoPro brand, but they work and were cheap.

GoPro is like the ipod when it came out. An amazing marketing team put it at the top of the market. I think Dell actually had a better MP3 player, but I couldn't find accessories for it ANYWHERE. Ipod stuff was all over the place. Same goes for GoPro.

My Dad recently did a lot of research on cameras for their ADV ride from Colorado - Alaska - Colorado. He chose the Sony Action Cam. The main reason was it had image stabilization which the GoPro's do not. Other things he considered pretty even. Stabilizing the image was what made him go with the Sony.

garfey

Forum Supporter
... My Dad recently did a lot of research on cameras for their ADV ride from Colorado - Alaska - Colorado. He chose the Sony Action Cam. The main reason was it had image stabilization which the GoPro's do not. Other things he considered pretty even. Stabilizing the image was what made him go with the Sony.
Sony cameras are Kick-A**!

The lens may not be quite what a Nikon's is but the menu is intuitive and the Sonys are really, really easy on the batteries, the Nikon isn't. Almost all my pics were taken with a Sony DSC-T9, half the size of a pack of cigs, <$200, and I recently bought a W30, a step or two up from the T9, for $45.

NEVER buy the latest & greatest; go for the just-outdated model that retailers will be almost giving away!

IMO, of course.

NEVER buy the latest & greatest; go for the just-outdated model that retailers will be almost giving away!
+1

Plus you can shop EBay and Craig's List for the myriad of "slightly used" GoPros in drawers all over America, bought by once enthusiastic and budding videographers who recorded an hour of helmet cam and then put the unit away permanently.

kubotamiketx

Forum Supporter
Guess since I already own a GoPro and have several mounts, its worth staying within the family. I did use my Hero 2 to record how the bikes ride while in the back of the new trailer. Pretty cool actually finally understand what they go through.

I replaced the cheap wheel chocks with some new Lock and Load chocks that use a strap to tie the front tire to the chock instead of hammering down the front forks to hold it in place. I did put a pair of straps on the rear of the bikes, those I tighten up a bit, then I had to go ahead and put some straps on the front too, but didn't tighten a all.

Bikes rode amazing well...

Thanks for the input.

Should I even ask what you use to make "movies" out of the gopro footage?

For Windows, the simple answer is Windows Movie Maker

For Apple, it's iMovie

Of course, a Google search for both platforms will reveal a host of alternatives at the free level

Really what folks need to do is simply learn to chop footage down to the tasty bits and rearrange clips to make an interesting short video.

What will come with time - if you can get past this point at all - are more easy stuff like transitions and titles and sound tracks.

This all said, there's no infamy in the endless helmet camera drone video that most people get stuck on. However the viewer will fast forward through this "to see what the ride looked like" and move on.

The good news is most of the learning curve is up front and you can get past it. Then you can cherry pick the bells and whistles to suit your fancy.

Here's a tip: being able to employ the "Ken Burns Effect" in your movie is a sure marker that you know you're truly on you're way :trust:

kubotamiketx

Forum Supporter
TriceP thanks again, always killer info.

Hey I forgot, what about audio? I have a Sena 20s but I don't think there is anyway to hook that into the GoPro audio is there?

A hundred years ago I used something called Pinnacle Studio to convert old Video to DVD. I sort of remember it and they just sent me a half off offer to get the latest version for $64 bucks. Maybe its worth it.

Hey I forgot, what about audio? I have a Sena 20s but I don't think there is anyway to hook that into the GoPro audio is there?
Yes there is - all you need is a GP10 GoPro "Backpack"

Here's a video demo of a rider using it:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxVgmovTYjQ"]Sena 20S Bluetooth headset - paired with GP10 GoPro Backpac - YouTube[/ame]

thrill-billy85

Forum Supporter
Fwiw,

I've heard nothing but good things about the Chinese knockoffs. The ebay "4k action cam"

Plus, most have a preview screen. Theu all work with gopro bases. $49 shipped

kubotamiketx

Forum Supporter
Aaron, so you are selling your baby !!! Didn't you just lecture me to never sell mine now that I have the AT !!! LOL Hope it sells quick!

garfey

Forum Supporter
lol - first I heard a couch tater elevated to farkle status... ;)
You noticed, I trust, that I did the elevatin' my own se'f. :oops:

A certain couch tater is heading out Friday morning, bound for CADVR in/at Dang-Near-Canada, WI, then West to Deadwood for the KTM Adventure Rally, then ?????? but with time built in to spend a couple days in ColoRAD-O on the way home. I figure it'll be between 4 & 5Kmiles, total, before I have to come home to take a nap.

Wanna ride along, 'tater?

I've had a few skin flints from some of my other forums profess love for some cheap chinese Go-pro knock-offs but there always seems to be some catch 22 with them in the grand scheme (or they are so cheap they won't tell me for fear of someone ruining their good deal). They are getting there, but if you have to buy one today, I would probably still pony up and go with the GP unit.

Lucydad

Forum Supporter
I have a GoPro Hero+ my daughters gave me for last Christmas. Pretty much sat until about a month ago when I decided to go up the rather steep learning curve. Hardware, data input/output, and then video editing using GP Studio take some learning. At least for an old guy. Here is a video I made a couple weeks ago. Still going up learning curve.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=333nAb3GqD4"]Triumph helmet cam jul27 2016 - YouTube[/ame]

drfood

Forum Supporter
Resurrecting the thread.

Looking at a cheap Chinese knock-off for our trip at the end of June. Do not want to buy GoPro. Some interesting looking cameras on Amazon, just not sure which is the most interesting.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks.

TWTim

Forum Supporter
Resurrecting the thread. Looking at a cheap Chinese knock-off for our trip at the end of June. Do not want to buy GoPro.
Of the knockoffs, the Akaso is arguably best. The image quality in good light approaches GoPro. The audio is lacking and I can't speak to durability. I'd recommend a used or refurbished GoPro 3+ in the 150-dollar range instead. I still shoot all my action cam shots with two GoPro 3s and they're still better than most of the brand new quasi-4K Chinese cams.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb3MU8SJWj8"]The Best Motorcycle Ride In Texas : Three (Twisted) Sisters & Hill Country Roads - YouTube[/ame]

drfood

Forum Supporter
Let's resurrect this thread one more time.

Still looking at buying one of these cameras.

Amazon seems to have MANY MANY MANY more of the Chinese knock-offs than ever before.

Anyone have any updated recommendations?

Thanks.

Lucydad

Forum Supporter
I recently sold my GoPro Plus here on the forum. Truly, they are capable little cameras. However, the tiny buttons, vague icons and incredibly difficult video transfer and editing issues required to make a final product worth viewing is a major obstacle. At least for this old guy, and I am fairly tech savvy. Major time sink, so be prepared. There must be thousands of GoPros sitting unused in drawers. Try eBay?

I've been reading a thread on ADVrider's Battle Scooters where I guy I trust talked about getting a new camera and after his research he went with one of the Chinese ones and seems pretty happy. I'm thinking about picking one up on Amazon and I already have a Contour I don't use anymore.

This camera has four different lens settings from wide to narrower, remote and Wifi to your phone plus many accessories. $119.99

Anyhow, hopefully this link goes to page 39, post 769 if anyone's interested in reading along. CaptnJim is the poster and has several follow ups on the his progress with camera.

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/all-about-scooting.1276440/page-39

Amazon link,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CKV9FRX/?tag=twowhetex-20

There is also the Yi Lite camera for about 120 with a case as well on Amazon. if you look for youtube reviews, there are a number of them that compare the different cheap cameras to each other and even a gopro. The big thing for me as I ride to work at night sometimes is the image quality at night. So far, Sony and gopro seem to be the best from what I've seen on youtube.

Personally, I am saving for a Sony AS50. its not as small as a gopro and would have to go on the side of my helmet instead of as a chin mount, but I can live with that. That Sony is 168 currently.

mitchntx

Follower of Rev. Doug
GoPro ramped through their models pretty quickly in an attempt to fix the user interface.

early models were very user hostile and surprisingly enough didn't chase them out of the market. The later version fell more in line with the mainstream using 1080p and H264 codecs.

Looks great in raw form.

The issue is file size and getting the video hosted. Youtube is a real nazi when it comes to stream rate, file format and overall file size. Vimeo is much more lenient.

A camera that has good audio, takes a common battery for power and has a positive feel on the record on and record off button are the most important features. YVMV

budzrex

Forum Supporter
The Garmin Virb is a cool camera, not in the cheap knock of range but with full 360 views

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSHeRCcezc4&index=4&list=PLZQteomUj15N8JaZpSaAb3vTjPu4XkjMj"]Garmin VIRB 360: Hangtown with Pro Jeremy Martin - YouTube[/ame]

drfood

Forum Supporter
Appreciate all of the input and great links. I've scoured ADVRider and other sites and just can't find a good fit at the right price.

The budget is getting really tight with all of the spends for the trip. New tires on both bikes, Garmin GPS InTouch Mini, potential airbag vests....having fun ain't cheap as they say.

I'd love to be able to afford a Garmin or Sony, but in reality it ain't happening. I don't want or need 4K, it seems overkill. I would like image stabilization if possible. The answer just might be no video camera for this trip either.

I'd love to hear from folks who have or have had experience with the sub--$100 amazon Chinese knock-offs.

morfic

Forum Supporter
If you do get a GoPro, Hero 4 has an easier/cheaper way to connect an external microphone.
My Hero 5 isn't able to pick up my bike unless I have an external mic on me, behind me or in my helmet, but needs a $50 adapter for that.
I'd make sure any Chinese cam does support an external (lapel) mic.

If you can try your camera before a trip it's useful as getting the audio to not suck may take a while.

If I had the $$ to get a camera that can connect to my BT headset for microphone, that would be the least headache I bet.

My dbpower I got as a birthday gift and my (refurb) Hero5 both take equally good video. So at least that part you shouldn't have to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have....had one of the Chinese knockoffs, a SJCAM SJ4000 w/WIFI, It worked ok. IMO the image quality wasn't as good as a GOPRO. I used it a lot to record shooting videos of matches or practice. Audio quality was basically non-existent.

Here is a video recorded with it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3s_QS7vomM"]CHURCH RAISE - YouTube[/ame]

Here is another one recorded with a Contour HD on my commute to work when I lived in San Diego. I don't think these are around anymore except for on the used market. It was a great camera and IMO better form factor than the Contor because it was more of a tube shape than a box shape. And the lens was rotatable 180degrees so you could "level" the video as needed.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5fZgBRktOs"]DAILY COMMUTE - YouTube[/ame]

I recently scooped up a Go Pro 4 Black used with a bunch of accessories for 100 dollars and haven't recorded anything with it other than messing around with it but it's easier to use. The SJCAM just woulnd't power on one day. I tore it apart and found heavy corrosion to the switches. Which is strange because the camera had never been wet just exposed to humid conditions when shooting.

Montejay

Forum Supporter
My son and I have 2 of the Contours. We feel they are the best way to go. They are
easy to use, not bulky and take great pictures. No complaints after 2 years.

As I ride to work at night sometimes, I'm really curious how the Akaso does in low light.

drfood

Forum Supporter
After I get to play with it some I'll post a couple of videos. I'll try to do a "low light" situation as well.

Thread related content

Who has personal experience mounting these cameras on a helmet and how did you do it without it hanging off the side like some kind of weird cactus.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Texas T

Forum Supporter
Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

Texas T

Forum Supporter
"Dashcam" setup?
Sorta, but it's specific to motorcycles. One facing forward, probably under the front nose of the fairing, and the rear mounted under the trunk. I'll have to wait until it arrives to see what will fit where. The central unit will hold up to a 256gb card so it will record quite a bit before it writes over the older recordings.

I have a space under my trunk floor where my SD card MP3 player resides and I think the central unit will fit in there as well.

morfic

Forum Supporter
Thread related content

Who has personal experience mounting these cameras on a helmet and how did you do it without it hanging off the side like some kind of weird cactus.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

e5843085ad0ef4a689cb008c75359075.jpg

532c327d15a414f421c0866ed7986b8c.jpg

That's a blue and yellow putty you knead together .

I used that because then chin got pretty narrow and the GoPro mount wouldn't have had much contact if I had used the two sided 3M sticky pads (they work fine so far on my current helmet after unveiling a completely flat surface under my front vent slide.)

Kneadatite Blue/Yellow Epoxy Putty Tape 36" "Green Stuff" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MQ7EHHC/?tag=twowhetex-20

Since this is epoxy, there was no glueing needed after it cured overnight. Been on it for months now.

MotoRadds Motorcycle Helmet Chin Mount for GoPro https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074W2J774/?tag=twowhetex-20
I bought this after reading some recommendations (On, I think, ADVRider), when I was sure I'll buy another helmet as I missed having a peak, didn't need it as the new helmet is a camera mounter's gift from God

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Is that a wireless Innov? I've looked at those but didn't like that they went to single camera for the latest setup. Haven't looked at them in about six months. Will be interested to hear your review.

And I'm with morfic, that's where I keep mine.

Texas T

Forum Supporter
Is that a wireless Innov? I've looked at those but didn't like that they went to single camera for the latest setup. Haven't looked at them in about six months. Will be interested to hear your review.
My mechanic really liked the way they were built; the video images are very crisp, but I can't connect to the DVR with my Pixel 2XL yet I can connect with the wife's Pixel 2. I've got a request in for support.

I have an extremely slow upload connection, so once they are loaded to YouTube I'll drop a link in here so everyone can see the quality of the images. It might take a while before that happens. :doh:

And I'm with morfic, that's where I keep mine.
Is this in reference to something else in the post?