• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Is Mexico Safe? A Report From The War Zone

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Will be dropping all the recon stuff here

PS Greetings from Oaxaca

Will develope a response to this question:

"You're going to Mexico, are you :loco: ?"

We dont have to ask, we know you!
:clap:

Last edited:
Hwy 175 into Oaxaca from Veracruz was twisty and scenic.

However, there is a LOT of storm damage from the recent rains. This is not a road to take at night (night is not a good time to travel in Mexico for many reasons).

The road is clear but there are sections where the earth has dropped away, leaving one lane.

There are dramatic views on this road. It is sparsly populated but worth every mile.

From several vantage points, you can look off into the distance and see major slides.

Weather today was clear and dry, blue skies all around.

Split up from the guys I rode here with, they're taking off in the morning for San Cristobal de las Casas and Palenque for the BMW rally, I'm staying behind in Oaxaca for 5 days to explore the valleys around the city, and the city itself.

We'll hook up this weekend for the trip north.

Kiko was on his way here, made it to Cuernavaca but his bike started giving him fits, so he's turning around for Ajijic.

I don't have a capture program on this netbook, so if someone could capture the Spot pings from today and add them, that would be nice.

Suerte

Hwy 175 into Oaxaca from Veracruz was twisty and scenic.

However, there is a LOT of storm damage from the recent rains. This is not a road to take at night (night is not a good time to travel in Mexico for many reasons).

The road is clear but there are sections where the earth has dropped away, leaving one lane.

There are dramatic views on this road. It is sparsly populated but worth every mile.

From several vantage points, you can look off into the distance and see major slides.

Weather today was clear and dry, blue skies all around.

Split up from the guys I rode here with, they're taking off in the morning for San Cristobal de las Casas and Palenque for the BMW rally, I'm staying behind in Oaxaca for 5 days to explore the valleys around the city, and the city itself.

We'll hook up this weekend for the trip north.

Kiko was on his way here, made it to Cuernavaca but his bike started giving him fits, so he's turning around for Ajijic.

I don't have a capture program on this netbook, so if someone could capture the Spot pings from today and add them, that would be nice.

Suerte

Saludos

Last edited by a moderator:
Meeel tone, presente! Y siguiendo con mucho intres, bato Roberto.

Hey Trice,
Are you OK? Haven't heard any of your wit in a couple days, nor has your SPOT moved.....

Then again, maybe no service to the 'net?

I've completely unpacked the bike, to include the GPS and the SPOT tracker.

I've been running up and down the Oaxacan valleys:

Teotitlan de Valle

Hierve el Agua

Mitla

Tule

Monte Alban

Coyotepec

Culilapan de Guerrero

Arrazola

I'm taking lots of pictures but the internet connection won't cooperate here at the hotel, just when I'm about to upload to Smugmug, the connection drops off.

I'll either have to wait for the next hotel (I leave Oaxaca Tuesday in the AM) or more probably, until I get home next weekend.

Got a bit lucky yesterday: Always wanted to visit Hierve el Agual (The Water Boils), and until yesterday, the road had been cut by landslides. It was slow going, but got there. Reminded me of the road to Batopilas :rider:

I've run into a lot of european bus travelers in the restuarants here. They seem to take month long vacations and spend it wisely. Those that select Mexico, fly into Mexico City and then either rent a car or, more commonly, just take busses all over the place. The two couples I talked to yesterday, one from Germany and one from Denmark, were both taking the bus this morning to Puerto Escondido. I gave them information on Huatulco, which is where I'd hole up if I were to hole up on the Pacific coast. In fact, next trip, that's what I plan to do.

1054810494_B4zDt-M.jpg

My HQ in Oaxaca: the Hotel Maela, 50 bucks a day :sun:

1068644216_2gyzk-M.jpg

Teotitlan de Valle

World famous for natural dyes made from insects, plants, and seeds. Used on wool hand spun and hand woven

1068643757_XS8Nw-L.jpg

Hierve el Agua (The Water Boils)

Getting here was dirt road up and down the mountain, but it was WELL worth the trip.

The falls are mineralized deposits combined with a stunning mountain setting

1068643475_cBh7U-M.jpg

The Arbol de Tule

Largest biomass in Mexico and one of the largest/oldest trees (the giant redwoods of California are bigger/older)

As I sit here with a bag of ice on my right ankle, I have only one comment after reading this ride report.................

You're killing me with those photos!

:flip:

As I sit here with a bag of ice on my right ankle, I have only one comment after reading this ride report.................

You're killing me with those photos!

:flip:

I received a message about you from Manuel in Guadalajara, about your bike.

What is the deal with your ankle???????? :eek2:

a) Wrong pilot jet
b) Bad gas
c) Failed autodecompressor on camshaft
d) All of the above

No electric start, so ... Kick, kick, kick, kick, kick,........................:giveup:

First day the motor would die at every tope, autopista caseta, or when I slowed down in traffic. More to the story, but don't want to hijack the thread here.

Don't worry Don, you'll have another shot at Oaxaca. Next on the radar is Pto Escondido, Pto Angel, & Huatulco. Those places deserve at least a week by themselves.

Here in Oaxaca, I've got 3 more days of exploration and 2 nights of Day of the Dead stuff to plow through.

The "different city every night" way of traveling Mexico is just NOT the way to do it. Especially Oaxaca.

Lots of gringo bus travelers but so far, the only moto travelers here besides me went to San Cristobal for the BMW rally.

PS I feel safer at night in Oaxaca than I do in San Antonio.

Don't worry Don, you'll have another shot at Oaxaca. Next on the radar is Pto Escondido, Pto Angel, & Huatulco. Those places deserve at least a week by themselves.

Here in Oaxaca, I've got 3 more days of exploration and 2 nights of Day of the Dead stuff to plow through.

The "different city every night" way of traveling Mexico is just NOT the way to do it. Especially Oaxaca.

Lots of gringo bus travelers but so far, the only moto travelers here besides me went to San Cristobal for the BMW rally.

PS I feel safer at night in Oaxaca than I do in San Antonio.
http://tinyurl.com/36gaxa9

Im in for next shot to OAXACA

Back