• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Is Mexico Safe? A Report From The War Zone

1073413636_GiWuE-M.jpg

I bought this bag of chapulines for 20 pesos

Yes, I ate a few

1073408383_o3fAz-M.jpg

Holy Mole!

Two of Oaxaca's famous moles (mo-lay), this also at Mercado de Abastos this morning

1073409061_kofyF-M.jpg

Oaxacan chocolate is about as famous as her moles

Fresh ground to any amount you want to pay for, including big sacks

1073404411_oQnLJ-M.jpg

Monte Alban

This is quite literally in Oaxaca's backyard

Monte Alban occupies a mesa to the southwest of the city

Due to the nature of the internet connection, I had to upload one photo per post

Sidestand up at 0800 tomorrow morning, leaving Oaxaca after seeing 1/1000 of what she has to offer

Bus travelers, bike travelers, moto travelers from all over Mexico and the world find this a facinating city.

Nobody is having any trouble anywhere in Mexico, quite the opposite is true

The SPOT tracker will also be live as I head north out of Oaxaca

Taking a detour around D.F. and probably going to San Miguel de Allende

In the group that went to San Cristobal de las Casas for the BMW rally, there was a crash. More on that later.

Just got a call from Tricepilot. He left Oaxaca de Juarez, Oaxaca this morning about 8 and rolled into San Miguel de Allende, GTO about 5 pm. Faster than a speeding bullet!

I've been showing all of my Mexican neighbors Bob's photos and translating his adventure for them in Spanish. They tell me that Bob is the "Goodwheel" ambassador for the America's.

Es verdad!

Just for grins, a photo of Zirahuen, Michoacan>>>>

DSC07925.jpg

1073408383_o3fAz-M.jpg

Holy Mole!

Two of Oaxaca's famous moles (mo-lay), this also at Mercado de Abastos this morning

mmm.. did you tasted and left those finger holes on it??:lol2:

Mole, The classic Central-South Mexico dish for weddings !!

Trice, Near San Miguel are some Precolombine Ruins as well, in case you have a chance.

arte

Nice! wish I had the time, money, and lingual skills to experience this kind of adventure, which I would have to do solo.

My hat's off to you sir... :dude:

Re: New Warning RE: Travel in Mexico

Tricepilot is in Santa Maria Del Rio, a pueblo in San Luis Potosi that is famous for its hand made silk rebozos, silk shawls. Looks like he's been there for at least an hour or so, probably just getting breakfast.
]http://remtz.smugmug.com/Other/solo/Screenshot4/1077515095_Uwnnj-L.png

http://remtz.smugmug.com/Other/solo/Screenshot1/1077514060_p7Rj4-L.png

One lazy Mexican at San Pedro...Me :rofl:

http://remtz.smugmug.com/Other/solo/Screenshot2/1077523412_9RFvP-M.png

http://remtz.smugmug.com/Other/solo/san-pedro/1077513179_rnK7W-M.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tomas fotos magnificos.

Parece un viaje bien divertido. Me gustaria hacer igual un dia...si puedo convencer mi mamacita subir al moto para ver su pais de distinto manera.

We say in Mexico, "el es mas cabron que bonito",

That is Tricepilot, the real thing, "el es chingon".

DSC08021.jpg

Looks like Tricepilot is making a run for Nuevo Laredo by 5pm today or so. He appears about 30 clicks (18+/- miles) from the border.

Well wishes for a safe and speedy crossing mi amigo!

1078984686_E9mfi-L.jpg

Last edited:
:chug: WELCOME BACK to Texas Tricepilot! :hail:

1079078547_Spt9w-L.jpg

Here's where you've been so far:
1079082855_Q3dVB-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like he´s hold up in the La Posada in Laredo Tx. :trust:

Great report !!!! Looking forward to more pics.

Looks like he´s hold up in the La Posada in Laredo Tx. :trust:

Great report !!!! Looking forward to more pics.

1079829693_P4RZc-M.jpg

You are correct, at La Posada I did stay.

Finished with the Colombia Bridge at about 5, and could have made it home but in the dark. Posada is always a nice stay.

This morning, with a cup of coffee in hand, I chatted with an employee as we watched the Border Patrol set about putting in an airboat in the Rio Grand right behind the hotel. The hotel itself had a section of driveway to the underground garage out fitted with razor wire, and the Border Patrol had cameras on that section. It appears that with the way things were constructed, it was a popular place at one time for swimmers to make landfall and get into the back alleys of Laredo - right through the hotel parking lot.

I'll be doing the full-blown report over on ADV. I need about a week to workflow the photos (two camera cards worth) and set about a proper write-up.

Back