• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: Is somewhat comfy moto camping even possible in early Sept?

Nice! You guys going to camp at moki dugway or the camp ground at m valley?

Camp ground in the valley, then to Gooseneck them Moki dugway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11559829189a1807feca5df82d4d729c.jpg

Well, I'm getting mixed signals on next weeks weather. We've decided to try for a Tuesday departure or so wherever we end up going, as I did not realize this was a holiday weekend and traffic could be busy with drunks and aggressive drivers trying to get to the party. Will try to see how to pack stuff on an RC51 this afternoon. I have a bad feeling my GSA will become loaded like a Duramax.

Well, I'm getting mixed signals on next weeks weather. We've decided to try for a Tuesday departure or so wherever we end up going, as I did not realize this was a holiday weekend and traffic could be busy with drunks and aggressive drivers trying to get to the party. Will try to see how to pack stuff on an RC51 this afternoon. I have a bad feeling my GSA will become loaded like a Duramax.
Cloudcroft is still looking good. Too many killer spots sometimes it makes it so difficult to decide which one to select.

It's all about temps and distance for now, and ability of my son to ride that dang RC51 racebike the distance in a day. When I ride it, I feel like I'm running the Isle of Mann until I realize "Ed, some guy you have never met in a car with red flashing lights will take you to jail for exactly this kind of fun". Never good. Nevertheless, it makes my old man's GSA seem like it needs some sort of stimulant in the tank, or continuous puffing on the intake to get it exciting again. Wherever we end up going , I'll probably get stuck on it for 100 miles or so to share the pain :-)

Ed find a spot with a cabin and AC not too far off and ride mornings and late afternoons. The rest of the time sit back relax and do some catching up with the son.

Good advice KP. The darn weather flipped again and its going to be really HOT!

We gave up on BBNP while discussing it yesterday. Mainly due to the change in weather, as it's a nice ride through the hill country getting there for the most part with only an hour or so on I-10. Getting to Cloudcroft from here is further, extremely hot this week with less attractive roads in between here and there, plus it would be painful on a hardcore sportbike; so we gave up on that too. If we were trailering a couple dual sports I'd vote YES, but we sold them upon moving from CO to TX when we realized there are fundamental public land policy differences that totally nuked my favorite pastime. Not sure we have a viable solution for around here other than just do a half day BBQ run from the house. I've serviced and am redundantly polishing my GSA now, anticipating a ride back to the holy land of UT in a few weeks. That may be the best I can do this week :-)

Attachments

• Colorado DS.JPG
    Colorado DS.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 145
  • xr.jpg
    xr.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 147
We gave up on BBNP while discussing it yesterday. Mainly due to the change in weather, as it's a nice ride through the hill country getting there for the most part with only an hour or so on I-10. Getting to Cloudcroft from here is further, extremely hot this week with less attractive roads in between here and there, plus it would be painful on a hardcore sportbike; so we gave up on that too. If we were trailering a couple dual sports I'd vote YES, but we sold them upon moving from CO to TX when we realized there are fundamental public land policy differences that totally nuked my favorite pastime. Not sure we have a viable solution for around here other than just do a half day BBQ run from the house. I've serviced and am redundantly polishing my GSA now, anticipating a ride back to the holy land of UT in a few weeks. That may be the best I can do this week :-)
Got a route in mind to UT?

No route to UT considered yet. Any routing suggestions are welcome as I've done UT dozens of times from living in 5 states but never from central TX. Just ordered a new GPS today, and will probably start looking at paper maps tonight/tomorrow. I will have another gentleman coming on this adventure riding a GSA exactly like mine, who has not done much LD riding, so we may need to stretch out the initial run to UT itself to get used to riding together, and not have fatigue bite us and get someone hurt. We'll meet my other buddies from Canada and Grand Junction about 10 miles from Torrey. Its 1238 miles per my straight line GPS. I would really like to do that in 2 days if possible, but maybe knocking down a quarter of it on I-40 at speed will seem like a blessing.

We could easily change the timing to 3 days if better routes exist, or we get tired. If its really hot, then we back off the 600 + mile days for sure, or get smart about early morning departure times. The other concern is that camping in hot country crossing TX and NM won't work well for my tent. I am hoping the temps drop into the high 80's by late Sept. before departure, but that's gonna require some additional prayer :-) UT will be way cool enough by then with aspens changing up above the base camp above Grand Staircase Escalante.

Camp ground in the valley, then to Gooseneck them Moki dugway.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkView attachment 242283

We camped at the campground at Monument Valley. Then did Goosenecks and Moki Dugway. I enjoyed Moki Dugway more on the Super Duke GT then the Super Adventure. Got some great pictures.
e7fac1fd73eee308aead75e73b1beafa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great pic! Well day two has us camping outside Springerville at Lyman Lake, then day 3 outside of Torrey UT at about 8000 feet. We'll go right up through the cool Mogi on the way to ultimately intersect with 95, as my friend coming along has never been there. Mogi reminds me of some other cool descents out there in UT.. I can't remember if this is out heading towards the dollhouse or part of the white rim trail.

Back