• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Funny, I just wrote a rant on the FJR forum today about Yamaha not handling their issues with the YCCS bikes in the USA and killed any future sales thus ending the models life here.

I like that Honda are doing what they are doing, I keep wishing for a DCT FJR, I'd be tempted to trade the old girl in even though she's not all used up yet. My bike rocks as a commuter and I love the push button shifting.

Yeah, it's going to catch on. It might take 10 years or an entire generation, but I think some form of clutchless system will surpass manuals, become the norm, and become all there is.

no. and get off my lawn. :nana:

no. and get off my lawn. :nana:

Where's the "like" button when you need it?

I have to admit that I really enjoy riding my Burgman 650 and I have only used the push button 3 or 4 times in the last year. But, when I really want to have fun, I ride my FZ10 or my SV650.

I remember in about 1984 hearing predictions by the industry that as the compact disc gained ground, the LP would phase out in, oh, 10-15 years. In 1987, Eric Clapton and Phil Collins both released new albums that completely bypassed the LP market, and the handwriting was on the wall. Took about another year until they were relegated to the back rooms of "audiophile" stores.

Exotic sports cars are going clutchless really fast. I don't think Ferrari has anything with a manual clutch, and I recently read that US enthusiasts are the only reason the Boxter and Cayman still have them as "options." Formula 1 cars have hand - actually, finger - clutches. They're used once in the race, which is to get the car off the starting grid. And that is solely because the rules dictate it as a sop to the purists (of which I am arguably one).

Newspapers? Reading Time Magazine (if you can find one) in a barber shop (if you can find one). The world marches on and progress is merciless.

But if it happens in my riding lifetime, I'll sure miss my inefficient but beloved clutch.

Tim nailed it, progress rather we like it or not! I've had the new model Vettes both ways and why I enjoyed shifting, the auto performed so much better, fact.

c5yoq.jpg

I like shifting. The last automatic transmission car I bought was in 1984. I have never bought an automatic pickup. I need a new pickup and I will probably buy used because the few that are still produced with manuals are never kept in stock.

I like shifting. The last automatic transmission car I bought was in 1984. I have never bought an automatic pickup. I need a new pickup and I will probably buy used because the few that are still produced with manuals are never kept in stock.

I like shifting too. Sometimes. When I had my MINI going through the gears was a ton of fun. Sitting in traffic working the clutch over and over and over and over was not fun. Traffic is for automatics.

Each has it's place, even in motorcycles. That's why I enjoy having the FJR with push button shifting for touring and commuting, and the GSX-S1000 with standard shifting for tearing up the fun stuff.

The fact is though, technology will continue to get better and better and in a lot of cases now, the technology in automatics can do the job better than the driver/rider.

Tim nailed it, progress rather we like it or not!

Yep. But it's sad that technological progression is so often utilized to facilitate (and even encourage) human regression.

Last edited:
Both have their place.

If motorcycling is to survive, it needs to adapt, and automatics/clutchless shifting is one of those things that will bring in and keep new riders.

Scooters in large cities are catching on partially for the ease to ride. Just hop on and twist the throttle. Those with a scooter can easily transition to a larger bike if it was the same as the scooter. They can't/won't/don't want bother with learning how to shift/clutch/throttle at the same time.

I enjoy driving a manual, but don't own one (besides the bike). It is just not practical for driving in traffic. The bike gets me my manual fix, so I can't see myself getting anything but a manual bike for any time in future.
Plus my wife can't drive a stick (I have tried).

I would like a beater manual car to teach my kids on, just so they know how.

Also, kind of passing under the radar in this section, look at the number of motorcycles being produced with stock quick shifters these days.

What I've always wondered about DCT bikes (and electric bikes) is what new technology/mechanism will replace the manual clutch's ability to be smoothly modulated for creep-speed maneuvers. I'm surprised to never hear a motojournalist or YouTuber mention that when reviewing these bikes because I remember clutch/throttle modulation being a key skill taught in MSF courses.

For example, I've read and heard from numerous sources that the Ford Fiesta with the DCT has a super twitchy throttle when trying to creep forward. I imagine the same technology will make some parking lot maneuvers pretty difficult on a bike.

The more the flannel wearing crown keep taking over things, then yes, its an inevitability...

I think if you like to creep and do things slow and technical it can be beneficial. It certainly seems like it would allow allow you to focus more on balance and approach towards obstacles at slower speeds but I think the thing I was always wary of would be its ability to respond to a need to lift the front tire suddenly, like when popping a clutch wheelie. Especially if you are trying to clear a stubborn obstacle. Seems like the DCT would not be able to torque up fast enough like when you rev and clutch bump...

It's actually the opposite for me. I just recently did an advanced rider course where a lot of it was the slow precision stuff they do in the police competitions and I kinda felt like I was cheating a bit. The clutch folks were having a much more difficult time with it, quite a few stalls and drops.

The Africa Twin DCT will keep rolling at 5-6 mph unless you force it under that speed. So I could just give it a little throttle, get to the 5 mph auto pilot mode, then navigate through the obstacle courses at that speed without touching the brake or throttle and not having to worry about feathering the clutch, just had to focus on steering solely.

Thanks for your input! I suppose I have no room to talk until I try one out myself.:rider:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ3ijMbb82w"]Honda's DCT Transmission - Johnny Campbell - YouTube[/ame]

Two things...

1) I wish I fit that well on a bike that size.

2) If I commuted on a daily in traffic I would rock one for sure and it could be beneficial off road for the reason he mentioned.

Honda's DCT Transmission - Johnny Campbell - YouTube

Two things...

1) I wish I fit that well on a bike that size.

2) If I commuted on a daily in traffic I would rock one for sure and it could be beneficial off road for the reason he mentioned.

My 300XCW has a Rekluse installed by the previous owner. I agree that it is easier, not necessarily better, under technical conditions. But, the Rekluse is not a DCT. I can still operate the clutch manually when I want/need to. And, a Rekluse auto clutch does not prevent me from controlling all shift points, both up and down. In the video Johnny is not commenting on shifting, only the auto clutch aspect.

Last edited:
The FJR isn't DCT but the computer controls the clutch and I can creep along no problems. The AE version will wheelie, though I'm not sure I've seen anyone hop it over logs! :eek2: :giveup:

I'm not saying MY ae fjr will wheelie, but others are capable of doing so. But that's more to the rider than the bike. :rider:

Back