• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Is the B1250 front sprocket cushion reusable?

cWj

Reaction score
First Name
mynameisnotslimshady
Greetings.

I'm getting ready to do the chain & sprockets on my bike and wanted to ask this before ordering an OEM sprocket. Does anybody know if the rubber cushion on the stock front sprocket can be removed and placed on a new sprocket?

It would be nice to have the option of aftermarket sprockets without adding noise.

Pretty sure there's not a cushion on the front sprocket. At least mine didn't.

On some sprockets there is a rubber ring that runs around the edge of the sprocket to try and reduce chain noise, but it cannot be removed and glued to another sprocket (at least not easily!!), so unless your new sprocket has the ring you cant re-use it from the old sprocket.. I doubt it really does anything for the noise!!

Gary

Hm. Now I'm wondering which years have it or if anybody has ever done a comparison to hear the difference.

'Preciate it.

The standard front sprocket on the 1250 was 18 tooth with no damping pad. There was a Suzuki 17 tooth sprocket (PN 27510-21A31) that had the damping pad, the usual bike to get one off was the GSXR-1000 but it did come on a lot of other bikes.

I put a 2nd hand GSXR 17 tooth on mine and it's still going strong, I'm on 50k km and original chain and rear as far as I know. Not sure if there is an difference sound wise, certainly no worse than the original. I think the aftermarket 17 tooth's (teeth ?) could be a bit noisey hence why this hack originated.

17_too10.jpg

gsxr_110.jpg

Cool. Thanks.

I have gotten a price on an EK ZVX3 chain and JT sprockets....and am now contemplating the viability of a 520 conversion with the EK 3D Premium chain.

Because #TaxSeason.

Racers go down to the 520 for weight reduction. They are not concerned with wear and change chains and sprockets in much shorter intervals than most street riders. Narrower teeth with the same pressure means more pressure per square inch and faster wear.

yeah....BUT ILL BE SOOOOO FASS$$$$TTT.

Racers go down to the 520 for weight reduction. They are not concerned with wear and change chains and sprockets in much shorter intervals than most street riders. Narrower teeth with the same pressure means more pressure per square inch and faster wear.

Following up, for future reference...

I finally got the new chain & sprox. EK with the screw master link (incredibly easy...still seems pricey for what it is - $15.60 on eBay).

My original front sprocket was, in fact, the 18T cushioned version. I got the bike used a few years ago with only 8300 miles on it, so I'm very sure that was the original sprocket.

I went with a Sunstar 18T front 40T rear. I notice no noise difference with the new un-cushioned sprocket. If anything it seems quieter and smoother.

That may have more to do with "new" and the 40T rear though (which I currently recommend as an option for smoothing out perceived jerky throttle problems...rate of decel off-throttle seems more natural/predictable now).

Reactions: Lar
Back