• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

So far (knock on wood) my 396 is pretty darn perfect for me. I don't know what the exact issues were that you were having with yours, but I am loving mine. As long as you are decently fluent in "garmin language" it is pretty easy to navigate the interfaces.

I switched to Tom Tom because I could understand it’s software and plot and program routes without a degree.
It also won’t dump a programmed route if you get off track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Be sure to go through the settings and disable Auto Reroute completely. That has the potential to screw up an uploaded custom route pretty quickly.
Check other preferences that might be affecting things, such as Avoidances, and those sorts of settings.

I've been mostly happy with the Zumo 660, except for the lack of brightness (thanks to Roger showing off his 396 at lunch I would have otherwise remained blissfully ignorant). It has been tested for waterproof claims, works with gloves on, has lived with my less that coddled treatment for a decade or so now. I probably won't be replacing it until it dies.

As for finding gas and food, it does okay with that. The waypoints are in the device, but it just gives a list and expects you to select one for it to route to. I'd prefer if it put icons on the map so I could better tell which one I want.

I use Auto-zoom, but it aggravates me when it zooms out based on speed to a point where it no longer shows at that zoom level the rural road I'm riding.

The 660 can load routes as well as tracks. Tracks don't provide Turn by Turn, but sometimes when you are creating a ride in Basecamp a Track can be drawn that goes over spots that for whatever reason Route creation doesn't think is a through road.

My wife scored a Zumo 590 with a bike purchase and I hate it. I haven't found a way to make it follow a custom route from Basecamp. It inevitably will reroute my hand-crafted route when it installs it. It does seem to be good at gathering dust.

Unfortunately, the only way to explore new models is to read every review you can find, explore the user forums and some of the GPS-specific websites with How-to pages, and be looking for the sort of issues that would be a deal-breaker. The marketing hype won't reveal their shortcomings.

Likewise with any existing model you have, do the same homework. You might stumble upon some tip or trick that solves an issue for you.

EDIT: Dang it. This thread now has me suffering from a mild onset of upgraditus. I find myself casting longing glances at the 396 by invoking the "safety" justification. Because, the more time I spend trying to discern the info on the not-so-bright screen of my 660, the less time I'm watching the road. (This could be painful as I finally coughed up the Lifetime Maps ransom for the 660 earlier this year) Maybe I can hold out until they knock $100 off the Zumo XT.

Last edited:
TomTom is the one I haven't tried yet. Can you load GPX files on to it? Or have to recreate them in their software somehow?

The Tom Tom computer (and smart phone like device) software is called “my drive” and you use it to upload GPX files to the device.

“Using GPX files

You use MyDrive on your computer to import .GPX track files to your TomTom device. The tracks are saved in the My Routes menu. Your device will navigate along the GPX track exactly and will not offer to replan your route, even if a faster route is available.”

Quit using Routes and use TRACKS. Think of your GPS like a paper map. Study it before you roll out the driveway. If you get low on gas, look that up. If you are hungry, look it up. But follow a TRACK. If someone sends you a route to follow, convert it to a TRACK.

I just rode all over New Mexico, and the only time we had an issue is when one of the guys tried to use ROUTES to get us to a hotel. We rode all over town just to get 3 blocks.

BTW, I've been using a Montana 600 for about 5 years with very few issues.

My Tom Tom list gas stations and distance to them on the right edge of the screen.

You can set PROXY notices along strategic points on your TRACKS, and your GPS will prompt you. It's kind of a chore though.

So, routes are built off of someone's routable map. If you don't have that exact same version of that exact same map loaded into your GPS, you are going to have trouble. That is my experience anyway.

I don't like my GPS telling me which way to turn. I want to tell IT where I'm going, then follow what I've entered. It's like sitting at the kitchen table, and using a highlighter to plan your vacation. It's just packaged a little more conveniently, and scrolls along with you. Usually by the time I've planned a trip, I don't really need the GPS unit. It's just there for a reference. Not foolproof by any means, for instance I laid down a track up near Cuba, NM last week, and we ended up in some farmers field. But we just scrolled around and figured it out. It' all part of the adventure.

I have used Garmins for so long that maybe I am used to them, but I don't have much if any trouble with them. As Bill mentioned above you have to be fluent in the software and know what your device is capable of. Once you are you won't have many problems. When I do have trouble its because I did something wrong building the route.

This is the most important thing to know. Any route/track you get from someone else should be checked in Mapsource or Basecamp before you load in the device and just assume it will work. You also need to know what your device is capable of.

I lost count of the amount of times I have showed up for a ride that a bunch of people that blindly loaded routes or tracks provided by someone found out that they didn't work in their device at the riders meeting.

For instance I just rode on the last Ellis County Adventure ride. I got the track from Jarrett the night before. I to chose to use my old 76CX handheld because I knew it would be dusty and I prefer buttons over touch screens especially in the dust. It will take a track with a maximum of 500 points. The track had something like 2850 points. If I blindly loaded it wouldn't have worked right. I quickly filtered it to 500 points and it worked great. The same device will only do routes with 50 waypoints. Instead of making giant routes that truncate I know in this device I make multiple routes by the day.

I love my Montana because it takes multiple maps, and has a big screen. I use it for Mexico trips, and some dual sport rides that require muiltiple mapsets. It does a lot of things better than my real old hand helds but my dislike for touch screens on a bike means I don't use it as much as I thought I would.

Does that function actually work out in the middle of no where?

Well considering I had AT&T service in big bend the answer is yes!
You load routes before you depart or at the hotel, I have done a route on the fly at a pie run using my phone. The new Tom Tom Ryder has wi fi built in.

... I knew it would be dusty and I prefer buttons over touch screens especially in the dust...
This is something to consider. My Montana touchscreen seems to be a dust magnet. And when I try to wipe the screen clean, it seems to energize it and make the dust stick even more - not to mention the unit thinks this is a prompt to reset to factory specs (what idiot at Garmin designed that?!?!?!?). I finally solved that issue by buying a microfiber cloth to clean my screen/faceshield/sunglasses/speedo/GoPro on the fly.

Last edited:
I've had a Garmin 590 for several years now. Like flipit said use tracks not routes.

I've downloaded the cdr and NMBDR to Basecamp and then the Garmin and followed it without any problems. I finally figured out routes but tracks are still easier.

Does that function actually work out in the middle of no where?
Only if it is programmed into the routable map, which was prolly programmed by some kid in China/India/Viet Nam.

Best thing to do is find a hotel/restaurant/gas station at your kitchen table, and place a waypoint. Of course, this isn't conducive to spontaneity. But if you're looking for a hotel/restaurant/gas station, chances are you are near a cell tower anyway.

A problem with using downloaded gps routes on Basecamp is that you don't know which map set the route was built on. If it doesn't match your map set (example City Navigator North America NT 2020.3), you have to recalculate the route to fit your maps AND insure the profile preferences match too.

Once you "adjust" the downloaded route, it should work perfectly on your map set and machine.
1592792976104.png

Last edited:
..,I knew it would be dusty and I prefer buttons over touch screens especially in the dust.

I cannot do the touch screen thing. I know people can get used to it but I don’t want to get used to it. I’m using the 66st with real buttons to really good effect. Got it as soon as they hit the shelves because even though I had a relatively new 64sc I found the screen a little too small to read off the handlebars.

If anyone is interested in the 64sc let me know BTW.

Do you grab random GPX files, load them on there easily and are able to follow them without any device errors or route hiccups?

Most of the time, stuff like this is due to user error in my experience. Basecamp takes some time to properly configure and understand, but it's not challenging.

Still an interesting topic for me. Got a Beeline Moto for Christmas and I cannot, despite multiple tries, asking for help, even buying a new iPhone...cannot control a route. So it is worthless. What to buy? Do I have to spend hours learning a system?

Unfulfilled dream is onboard Moto navigation that works, is safe, and flexible, and reasonably easy for this old guy to use.

It is not the almighty go to unless you like being screw over and sent out of you way , look at a map , make a decision what you want to see and make your route . I had my garmin tell me , “ you can’t get there from here “ in those exact words , I took a route around a town in Arkansas that I was familiar with . I was on my way home from southwest misery and had it on just because , it didn’t like that I didn’t obey and dumped my route . Since then I buy the cheapest thing I can find, use it as an aid and will put a day’s worth of routing in each morning usally by entering waypoints of what I want to see . Some of the cheap ones will try to route my 50 miles out of the way for a 200 mile trip to use the freeway regardless of what parameters I have set , seen that in the tom Tom many times . If I spent the time to route the garmin from way point to way point it would usally do a good job , some of the others will change your route under way even after I checked it before hand , the system that is right every time is a roll chart , when you make your route it works every time without fail .

Some of the most fun rides were when I would have a general idea where I wanted to end up and head that direction , when I came to an intersection which ever way looked most intresting is the direction I went . If I got totally disoriented I would turn on the gps and tell it to take me where I wanted to go .

Back