• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Is this Normal for a Hotel to do this...?

Reaction score
Katy......................... Cell# 832-72
The Big Bend rally coming up 1st of March......I have 10 people that want to make this event and ride the desert.....
Called my, go to Hotel in Terlingua that we've stayed at close to a dozen times over the past ten years. 4 of the guys were to get their own rooms......I called to reserve 3 rooms for 3 nights. The office took my Card # and info, Email address, phone #, and home address.....I began to thank her, when she said I now needed to mail her a personal check for the first and last nights which came to just about $600.......There was dead silence on my end, because I've never had a hotel require this before. I questioned her about this, and she said it's been their policy for the past 30yrs.......Which it hasn't, at least not for my guys.........
Has anyone ever had to send a personal check to make hotel reservations..?
DSC00041.JPG

lol no, did she want your social too?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. We've stayed at Chisos Mining 3 times and always mail them check after making reservations. I don't have a problem with it as long as they have me a room when I get there.

Chisos Mining Company Hotel. A couple of years ago there were no other rooms available so I did it. Since I've stayed at the Big Bend Resort.

well I guess id be camping in the desert.... I haven't got any checks and dont want to figure out how to get them.

I have stayed at Chisos Mining Co. many times. Each successive time it has gotten stranger and stranger. I now stay there only as a last resort.

We had to do that this year. First time that I can remember.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

It happens. Whether it is normal or not depends on the kinds of hotels one frequent and where they are. I've paid a few in the past, but never in Texas. I'd guess that they want to make sure that you'll show and they won't be stuck with a few days of unsold rooms. They are in the middle of nowhere and smart travelers, like you, are getting reservations rather than rolling the dice. The only reason that they might demand a check is to prevent a fight with the credit card company in the event there is a refusal. Some restaurants do the same thing. Alinea in Chicago is booked for months in advance and they charge the full price of the meal to your card at the time you book the reservation.

I'll add that one year we had planned on 3 riders, we wound up with 2 at the last minute. Chisos Mining reduced our charges to two occupants for the stay. I'll stay there again if I go back.

What's a check? I thought it was something you just have to send the IRS once a year ...?

;)

The Big Bend rally coming up 1st of March......I have 10 people that want to make this event and ride the desert.....
Called my, go to Hotel in Terlingua that we've stayed at close to a dozen times over the past ten years. 4 of the guys were to get their own rooms......I called to reserve 3 rooms for 3 nights. The office took my Card # and info, Email address, phone #, and home address.....I began to thank her, when she said I now needed to mail her a personal check for the first and last nights which came to just about $600.......There was dead silence on my end, because I've never had a hotel require this before. I questioned her about this, and she said it's been their policy for the past 30yrs.......Which it hasn't, at least not for my guys.........
Has anyone ever had to send a personal check to make hotel reservations..?
View attachment 55872
Sounds like the Chisos Mining Co. & I had to do the same thing a couple of years ago. At that time, they had updated the rooms or at least the one we were in, so I didn't feel too bad about it. But then again, it was only for 1 night. Policy for 30 years? Not hardly, as we've been at the Chisos a number of times but only had to send a check that once.
Our preferred digs is the Eldorado... spartan but decent rooms plus restaurant & bar! :party::thumb:

Last edited:
I used to pay by check , they don't ask anymore , I pay cash when I get there . I've rented the same house every years for several years now . Nothing is normal in Terlingua , that's what I like about it . I'm abbynormal too .

I’ve had to do it there before as well - no big deal - never had any probs with them.

'The Girls' that own and run that place are getting on in age. There's a good chance that the policy has been an on and off thing for some time, but if she says she has done it steadily for 30 years she believes that to be true. One just has to accept is as another Terlingua oddity and adapt as one sees fit.

Chisos also has a strange pre booking window. Try calling and making a reservation 6 months in advance and it's a no go. I've had to mail deposits in advance a couple times when booking 2-3 months out. I think if you booked 2-3 weeks in advance they probably wouldn't require it due to not enough time. Maybe that's why some have had this rule enforced on/off.

I used to stay there (Chisos mining co.)a few times a year. However, the last time, there was a sign in the bathroom that said not to flush toilet paper. I wasn't going
keep used brown particulate laden and smeared tp in the waste basket so I flushed it all anyway. I never went back to them again.
Just call me miss prissy if you feel the need to, but if I have to save my used stinky TP in a trash can without even a lid, I might as well be camping and at much cheaper prices.

IMG_20170303_173505_1-L.jpg

I used to stay there (Chisos mining co.)a few times a year. However, the last time, there was a sign in the bathroom that said not to flush toilet paper. I wasn't going
keep used brown particulate laden and smeared tp in the waste basket so I flushed it all anyway. I never went back to them again.
Just call me miss prissy if you feel the need to, but if I have to save my used stinky TP in a trash can without even a lid, I might as well be camping and at much cheaper prices.

View attachment 315015

Well Miss Priss,

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back