• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

It all started with pie...

Date: 07/14/2009
Destination: Home (Austin)
Miles: 981
States: Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas

Man what a HOT long day. I have been blessed by the cooler temperatures experienced during this trip.

I rose early as to not wake the triplets. All three were still sound asleep on the couches with the little dogs and they never heard me move all my gear, pack and depart. I said my goodbyes to my sister in law and headed out in a coolish 72 degrees under a beautiful foggy pink sky at 6am sharp as a train was whizzing by.
Day18003.jpg

Day18004.jpg

I made my way down to Nashville, about an hour South of Trenton, KY where I was staying. Knowing I was heading into the blast furnace of Texas at some point, I opted for shorts and a T under the mesh gear. The ride was chilly for the first few hours.

I decided to ‘wing’ it for the return trip and go only on my GPS and no maps. Now remember, my GPS is 10 years old so let’s just say the navigation options are limited. I made it just fine around Nashville and decided to just beat-feet home.

After clearing Nashville, my next mark was Memphis but not before a fuel stop in Jackson, home of the Casey Jones museum.
Day18006.jpg

As I rolled through Memphis, I fondly recalled driving up there to meet the Mrs during one of her trade shows a few years back. About Memphis the skies began to get darker and as I recall from the night before, yet another weak front was somewhere out there. Well, I found it. The temps were really sticky hot by now so on went the rain gear and then that all familiar smell – moisture in the air. Good call on the rain gear.

Welcome to Arkansas, the last of my missing states
Day18010.jpg

I had rain from Memphis to Little Rock, AR. where I pulled over and ditched the gear when the cloud deck lifted. Good call again as I was turning into a clam-bake inside the rain gear. The clouds hung around with me until Texarkana at which point they all but disappeared when I crossed into Texas. I’m not kidding. Welcome to Texas and the clouds go away and I thought it was hot. Making my way towards Dallas as my next mark I fueled in Caddo Mills and asked a guy what the temp was. He said 104 with a heat index of 109. Nothing you already didn’t know, but I was shocked. I knew it was hot, but not that hot. I downed a Gatorade and made it around the I30/I20 mix to hit 35 South for a couple hundred mile walk in the park ride home.

Another fuel stop in Jarrell, through Georgetown, Round Rock and I found the house about 9:30pm. Some 981 miles and 15.5 hours later I was glad to be home. A quick shower and half a cold watermelon later, I called it a night.

Summary (in no particular order)

My objective was to clear what remaining states I had not visited in one shot, as well as clear 49 of them on my motorcycle with all the state visits originating from Texas. I can say that by the age of 50, I’ve now visited all 50 states, 49 of which are on my motorcycle. Two Canadian provinces were also visited in addition to 33 states.

During the tail end of this trip, I went over the 100,000 mile mark riding BMW’s. (a ’99 F650 Classic, ’02 R1150GS, ’01 R1150GS) I’ve done this in a ten year period and started riding as an adult on my birthday ten years ago. A few years of those ten I didn’t ride either. Robert at Lonestar BMW has submitted me for the 100K recognition through BMW

I also wanted to ride some of the beautiful roads I hear so much about. With input from everyone here, I sort of mapped out a few ‘highlights’, and winged the rest. With this trip I’ve done Skyline Drive, the Blueridge Parkway, slain The Dragon and done the Chernola Skyway. Toss in Canada twice, Niagra Falls, a ferry ride, and a fly-in and this was a grand experience for 18 days on the road.

Most of this trip I experienced an elevation of 400-800’ above sea level, with the significant majority of the scenery to include farming and cattle operations. Our great country was built on these activities, and I’m pleased to say that they are still a significant majority of what goes on excluding the major metropolitan areas.

I rode 6,912 miles with an average MPG of 46.6. (You just have to love the R1150GS with the carrying capacity, fuel load, highway abilities and great MPG) There were only a few instances of the fuel light coming on and as luck (or planning) would have it, I didn’t run out of fuel anywhere.

I saw deer, bears, ducks, geese, and turkeys. I was able to eat some great seafood, and stick my boots in the Atlantic Ocean with a beautiful offshore storm in the distance. I was able to visit two homes where I grew up, and spend some great time with relatives and old friends along the way. I experienced the smells of America including fresh cut hay, cattle trucks, feedlots, manufacturing plants, rain, and a variety of floral scents that came and went with the ever changing geography.

SPOT was my friend and family’s constant companion as was the board to post up the trip reports and pictures. The encouragement from everyone via comments and calls was incredible, and I thank you for reminding me of what’s important in life.

The bike is in great condition, albeit I still need a set of tires. These are about shot now. The tank-bag fix held up for the rest of the trip and the gloves continued to serve me well in spite of the increasing number of holes in them. I’m amazed at how little you feel a Cordura riding jacket rub on gloves, yet what a hole they can wear in them on the cuff.

My Camelback Mule was the great. I’ve had this model for several years now and it has served me well. One trick I learned was to just buy a bag of ice for $1.29 and load it up. Over time the ice will evaporate and provide cold water for the rest of the day.

The laptop was a great addition to the trip along with the Pelican Case to hold it and all the misc. cords, chargers and so forth a trip like this requires. My Dell Latitude D630 was a great companion where wi-fi was to keep me in touch with friends, family and you.

The significant majority of pictures were taken with a Nikon D40x and their 18-200VR lens. I shot about 600 pictures for just under 3GB of memory. Two videos were done on my little Nikon Coolpix S7c. (the rolling fog and the Dragon)

I close this trip with great memories of yet another adventure on two wheels. I hope you’ve enjoyed the ride as much as I did.

Iron Man Scott, chain-typing the reports all at once! :clap:

Sounded like a great trip but why didn't you drag some of that rain back home with you? :-P

Also, if that spider is a black widow, it also lives in holes in the ground and under rocks as experienced by some Scouts at a campout near Bridgeport a few years back...

Glad you are home safely... :rider:

Now, welcome to :sun:

;-)

Sounded like a great trip but why didn't you drag some of that rain back home with you? :-P

I have to agree with Chuck, why didn't you drag some of the wet stuff back with you. :mrgreen:

Enjoyed the photos and report, sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing. :clap:

:tab You are really making me miss my 02 R1150GS.... I like the Strom 650, and it was only about 1/4 the price of the GS, but it just doesn't have that same level of Swiss army knifeness that the GS excelled at.

:tab Glad you are back safe and had a great time. Thanks for sharing!

Some 981 miles and 15.5 hours later I was glad to be home.

Could almost have been a SS1000 credit in addition to the 100K BMWMOA achievement :clap: Circle the neighborhood a few times for the 1000 mile mark ;-)

Great report on a great trip that is inspiring me to do something similar one day. :sun:

Could almost have been a SS1000 credit in addition to the 100K BMWMOA achievement :clap: Circle the neighborhood a few times for the 1000 mile mark ;-)

Great report on a great trip that is inspiring me to do something similar one day. :sun:

Naw..... I've got two documented Ironbutt Saddlesore rides now and a half dozen other 1000 plus. That's the beauty of doing one. You just KNOW you can do them when you have to. 981 is close enough for me to call it a grand in a day. ;-)

Naw..... I've got two documented Ironbutt Saddlesore rides now and a half dozen other 1000 plus. That's the beauty of doing one. You just KNOW you can do them when you have to. 981 is close enough for me to call it a grand in a day. ;-)

:thumbs:

That's the beauty of doing one. You just KNOW you can do them when you have to. 981 is close enough for me to call it a grand in a day. ;-)

I agree completely. When I came home from Sweetwater, TN last month it was 15 hours exactly and 898 miles. I kind of wish I had noticed and done 2 more miles before I got home to make it an even 900, but it was close enough for me.

I agree completely. When I came home from Sweetwater, TN last month it was 15 hours exactly and 898 miles. I kind of wish I had noticed and done 2 more miles before I got home to make it an even 900, but it was close enough for me.

I don't think either of you have anything to prove in the mileage department. I've yet to document one, but would like to do it some time.

Awesome report and photos! Makes we want to hop on the bike and disappear for a week. Thanks for sharing the adventure.

Once , in a grave and tired error on reading a map at Lubbock Texas, I turned an easy 850 mile day into a 965 mile day. This was when I had just promised myself to quit doing those 1K miles days. ;-(. When I was BMW rally ratting, the miles came and when chasing rallies about the country working 7 and 7 offshore. Probably the reason I don't care for slabs now due to having to run them to get There and Back at that phase of my life. ;-).

Hi Scott, looks like a fab trip. I have a photo to add from your trip through the Hudson Vally NY
Kingpuck

Attachments

• IMG_0353crbr.jpg
    IMG_0353crbr.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 215
Hi Scott, looks like a fab trip. I have a photo to add from your trip through the Hudson Vally NY
Kingpuck

Kingpuck-
First off, WELCOME!

Second, too cool! That must have been on Bear Mountain? Thanks.

Better late than never. Just read this trip report. Great report on a great ride Scott.

Back