• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

It didn't follow me home, I had to drive up above Dallas to get it

kubotamiketx

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Morisoli
Pulled the trigger on a new 2022 KTM 300 XC-W TPI Erzbergrodeo. I had been pondering this type of bike for over a year, almost did this a few months ago, but when I saw the 2022's had come up and a dealer up north had one I jumped in the truck and grabbed it up. After driving all the way up there from Austin to get it, while driving home today I decided to stop by TJ's cycle to get a couple of odds and ends. When I started talking with Tom the owner and apologized for not giving him my business and explained that I had stopped by several times and even called just this week, it was my understanding they didn't have one, yet when I walked in his showroom there was one sitting there for sale. Oh well, even though I didn't get it local, I am a proud new owner.

Now I need to start training a bit and look forward to a whole new chapter of single track and maybe some Torcs playing.

As this is my first two stroke since a 1986 CR250, I am open to input. If anybody who has one wants to share insights, recommendations, warnings I am a willing recipient for all useful info.

20211009_224255881_iOS.jpg
20211009_224241769_iOS.jpg
20211009_165416301_iOS.jpg

That’s a beautiful bike. Now to get it dirty.

Those are beautiful machines. You should be amazed compared to the oldie!

The fact they had the guts to name a bike after the Erzberg Rodeo pretty much tells you how much of a scalded cat you have there!

Hold on tight...

Nice we just had a guy in our group buy one as well. Come on down to Zars Ranch in Floresville with us some Saturday or Sunday and ride some
great single track with it.

I have the XC-Ws brother - 21 Husky TE300i. Closing in on 150 hours. It is a great single track machine. First gear is only used from a stop - most of the time, or on some really tight or steep trail. Mostly put it in second or third if the ST is more open and ride it. So much low end torque. Mods: the Slavens idle screw. It does work, no it is not worth $25 and it is a pain to get the factory glued in screw out but the bike is better with the air screw used for setting mixture rather than idle. Get it sprung for your weight, I went up 1 spring both front and rear and the suspension works much better; have yet to change the valving. I'm a fan of the Scotts steering stabilizer. Mousses front and rear. FMF muffler to get a spark arrestor on it. Enjoy!

Sweet, very excited to take her for a spin. I am stuck on a big work project till after Nov 1st, but will sneak in a few day rides someplace soon I hope.

Been doing some research and here is my current list

1. Idle screw seems like a no-brainer. Yea lets use an air bleed to control idle :(
    1. May try the loctite glue remover first, see if it helps.
  2. Going to go tubeless again (my 501 has been flawless with it)
  3. Not sure on the spark arrestor yet, trying to decide on the FMF full replacement or something like the end cap replacement.
  4. The injector relocation upgrade looks like a great idea, but I don't think I need to rush into that anytime soon. Key is to just start ridding it.
  5. Somewhere I read the Erzberg edition has a larger tank, but I can't confirm this and it doesn't look any different.
  6. Going to install the Goldentyre Fatty front tire, it has been amazing on the 501, should be great on the 300.
    1. https://www.goldentyrewest.com/gt216aa-fatty-front/
  7. Using the KTM Power Parts upgraded bark busters, may play with bar end weights, they work so well on my 501 I just might try it
  8. Going to play with the steering limit screws, I like to allow the tightest slow turns possible. In the past I have just removed the lock nut, we will see on this one.
  9. Has anybody played with drilling a tiny air bleed hole in lower half of the butterfly valve for better low end control? Looks interesting, but expensive to fix if it doesn't work.

Of course I still need to "make it mine" with the little things like setting up bars, levers, peddles for my reference. I fear I may need some springs to deal with my weight, but even that can be done after some time on her.

Ok, back to work. I really want to start tinkering with her, but I have to just stare at her while I work . . .

I used a propane torch to heat the screw boss. One recommendation is to get a high quality allen wrench. Just do the screw, I would not drill the butterfly valve...you'll be stuck with what you do!
you won't need bar end weights, the bike is very smooth, ride it first!

Better get a better kick stand.
Looks fantastic.

Congrats on the new bike.

I Highly recommend a Hyde racing skid plate/pipe guard combo unit. I haven't replaced a pipe in several hundred hours since switching to them.

If you like the golden fatty, I would suggest trying the shinko 546 in 90/100. It's slightly narrower than the full fatty with the same basic tread pattern - but doesn't chunk side knobs... and cheaper. Great tire for rocks/sandy stuff. Not the best for loam/mud

Before you mess with the engine, ride it and see how it runs. There are 6 TPI bikes in my riding group and we've had some of them up to over 12k feet. Nobody has messed with the idle (small sample size) since one guy's 2018.
- Most of us have settled on turning the power valve between 1/2 and 1 full turn out from stock and haven't messed with anything else.

Bar weights - I would say hold off til you ride it. There's not really much noticeable vibration at all, especially when you're riding on dirt.
Steering stops - take them out, fill with the threads with silicone to prevent rust.

Re-spring for your weight/skill level.

Im not sure what all comes on the erzberg edition, but If you plan on riding rocky stuff with it:

Rear/rear disc guards - looks like you have those.
Radiator guards - the Tusk ones are actually pretty good from Rocky Mountain.. and half the cost of the Bulletproof designs. (I've thoroughly tested both)
Front/rear tugger straps - your friends will thank you.
Radiator fan - the TPIs run lean and hot

If you want to keep it pretty:
Polisport swingarm covers $40
Polisport clutch cover $25

Make sure you do a full nut/bolt/spoke check before you take it out.

Have fun!

EDIT:
Unless you plan on plating it, take the rear tail light assembly off: Two screws underneath and 1 plug to disconnect in the airbox - feed the wire out the bottom. - They tend to snap at the screw connection to the rear fender. Pull the front light assembly off and put a XC number plate up there - much harder to break and way less expensive to replace... don't ask me how i know.

Last edited:
What he said Mike !!

Too pretty to ride IMO

Congrats on the new bike.

I Highly recommend a Hyde racing skid plate/pipe guard combo unit. I haven't replaced a pipe in several hundred hours since switching to them.

If you like the golden fatty, I would suggest trying the shinko 546 in 90/100. It's slightly narrower than the full fatty with the same basic tread pattern - but doesn't chunk side knobs... and cheaper. Great tire for rocks/sandy stuff. Not the best for loam/mud

Before you mess with the engine, ride it and see how it runs. There are 6 TPI bikes in my riding group and we've had some of them up to over 12k feet. Nobody has messed with the idle (small sample size) since one guy's 2018.
- Most of us have settled on turning the power valve between 1/2 and 1 full turn out from stock and haven't messed with anything else.

Bar weights - I would say hold off til you ride it. There's not really much noticeable vibration at all, especially when you're riding on dirt.
Steering stops - take them out, fill with the threads with silicone to prevent rust.

Re-spring for your weight/skill level.

Im not sure what all comes on the erzberg edition, but If you plan on riding rocky stuff with it:

Rear/rear disc guards - looks like you have those.
Radiator guards - the Tusk ones are actually pretty good from Rocky Mountain.. and half the cost of the Bulletproof designs. (I've thoroughly tested both)
Front/rear tugger straps - your friends will thank you.
Radiator fan - the TPIs run lean and hot

If you want to keep it pretty:
Polisport swingarm covers $40
Polisport clutch cover $25

Make sure you do a full nut/bolt/spoke check before you take it out.

Have fun!

EDIT:
Unless you plan on plating it, take the rear tail light assembly off: Two screws underneath and 1 plug to disconnect in the airbox - feed the wire out the bottom. - They tend to snap at the screw connection to the rear fender. Pull the front light assembly off and put a XC number plate up there - much harder to break and way less expensive to replace... don't ask me how i know.
Thank you for sharing the great insights and input. The Erzberg has a lot of the things like disk guards, tugger straps (not shown in photo yet), fan, map switch, seat and a few other upgrades.

Yes, it does need dirt on it, but freaking work has me slammed until Nov 1st. I am going to sneak away on Sunday to get a couple of hours on her, more than likely at HF.

Absolutely going to get it resprung, I love what Konflict did with my 501, so I will go back to Alex for that. But I need at least one ride for a good baseline...

Super excited, my last 2T was an 86 CR250R I did mostly enduros with and a couple of MX. Been on 4T's from then on I think, whenever the first XR400's showed up.

Here madden voyage was this past Friday and HF with Vinny and Mark. OMG, the 300 is insane. I don't understand how a 2T can have more low end than my 501. After about an hour of ridding I remember that it has a map switch so I flipped it to the "lower" power mode and found it much easier to ride in the tight stuff.

Overall I am still somewhat speechless with her. I still don't feel 100% connected to her yet, need more saddle time. It feels so light and nimble, a totally different class of bike from the 501.

I did do a lot of things to her while I was unable to ride her. Did the fuel injection relocate to the throttle body, added a true idle screw and made some major upgrades to the suspension. Went with the WP 6500 internal kit for the forks and I can't remember what all Alex at Konflict did to the shock. Must admit it felt perfect. Before the little ridding I did it was lacking in rebound damping, now that is all sorted out. We did some heavy tests at HF.

This was her as I started to put her back together. Already had the injection relocated and throttle body put back together.

20211111_141116303_iOS.jpg

Suspension ready to go back on

20211111_151951031_iOS.jpg

Proud new bike on the trail !!!! Oh baby
20211112_202233827_iOS.jpg

Back