• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

It's legal to ride my dirt bike in my neighborhood?

Reaction score
I leave close to dfw airport and there is a place 2 blocks from my home that can be my own enduro trail.
Its not marked as private property or municipal property .
It is an open green space. Its a good place to try suspension settings etc.
I'm not using any street to get there, from my drive way i can get to it.
I'm breaking any laws?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Two answers.

First, if the property is held by an absentee investor you may get away with riding on it for years without trouble.

Second, a property owner has little obligation to mark their property as no trespassing. That is assumed. If you pass a gap, downed fence, purple mark or indication of cultivation then it is private property and all potential penalties and liabilities apply.

I'm not a lawyer, but I've spent some hours working with local police to keep trespassers off of my land.

I'm very respectful about property and this piece of land ends at the airport fence with no marks or signs .No one mow it even the city does not touch that.

You live in Irving? Trophy Club is a lot closer than one hour. I know because I drive there and it's an hour from Forney.

One thing to think about, is how potentially the local police might be toward dirt bikers. For instance, around my neighborhood you might think you could get away with riding in some places. However, we have a lot of new construction in the area and some idiots went and rode their dirt bikes through the construction areas and tore it up bad so the local police are gunning for any dirt bike that isn't plated and street legal, so I don't take my chances.

You live in Irving? Trophy Club is a lot closer than one hour. I know because I drive there and it's an hour from Forney.

One thing to think about, is how potentially the local police might be toward dirt bikers. For instance, around my neighborhood you might think you could get away with riding in some places. However, we have a lot of new construction in the area and some idiots went and rode their dirt bikes through the construction areas and tore it up bad so the local police are gunning for any dirt bike that isn't plated and street legal, so I don't take my chances.
Good advise, trophy club is open?? Been close for ever go to check out!! Thanks!

It was closed till about August I think. They do close if it rains hard and lots of water collects. Check their website before you go and follow them on facebook for the latest updates.

Been getting the kiddo up to speed on the beginner track there.

2016-11-12%2010.06.41-2_zpsjyby8xbz.jpg

Last edited:
It was closed till about August I think. They do close if it rains hard and lots of water collects. Check their website before you go and follow them on facebook for the latest updates.

Been getting the kiddo up to speed on the beginner track there.

2016-11-12%2010.06.41-2_zpsjyby8xbz.jpg
Cool!

That whole trophy club park backs up to the lake so when it rises they close it off. When I lived in Justin it was closed if it even looked like rain. It used to be called Marshal creek when I was a kid and most of the area had trails all over it. It was way larger. Kinda like when I was kid you ride all over the trinity river bottoms near bell Helicopter from Precinct line all the way out of 820 just south of Hwy 10. Trails were all over it. Now its been developed. Much like Trophy Club.

If you don't own it, or have the owner's permission, it's probably illegal. If the property in question is in Dallas County, check dcad.org. It has a map feature that should help identify property boundaries & ownership, so at least you'll know who you're likely to encounter. There are similar sites for most appraisal districts (Tarrant, Collin, Denton, Etc....). I perform environmental assessments on properties (sometimes by truck or TW-200 on large parcels) & I often find local trails on undeveloped properties of absentee owners, railroad easements, wetlands, & green belts. Typically, they are started by kids on bicycles or sometimes by horseback riders, then expanded by dirt bikes & ATVs. If the law hasn't been called to stop the fun, they will shortly after the side by sides and 4x4 mudders show up.

Back