• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

IV Medina County 250 Adventure Motorcycle Ride - Saturday, 1/19/19-Castroville, Texas

GCSNA is fully booked. Sander, do you know if the tent camping area is separate from the RVs? That might be my only option.

Tent camping is separated from the paved RV parking, maybe by 100 yards.

Monte and Kory camped their one year and my offer more ground intel.

Tent camping is in the grass along the river.

Last edited:
Yes, we camped at the Regional Park the year before last. It’s a good place to camp. We had a table, water and electricity. The person in charge gave us the code to the RV park showers, and they were nice.

Sander, some of us are planning on camping Saturday night and riding back to Austin on Sunday. Any recommendations for roads between Castroville, Boerne, and Blanco?

If you are in no hurry: 471 to Rio Medina, left on 2676, rt on 271, left on 1283, left on 16, rt on Privilege Creek rd, left on Old School rd, becomes Upper Mason creek rd ,rt on Elm Pass rd rt on 27 to Comfort. FM 473 to right on Old 9 rd, rt on Grapetown rd, right on 1376, left on 1888 to Blanco.
Good places for breakfast or lunch in Pipe Creek-Back Yard Bistro, Comfort-High's Cafe, Alamo Springs Cafe and Black Pig on Old 9 rd, Chess Club Cafe in Blanco.
Water crossings on Privilege creek can be slippery.

If you are in no hurry: 471 to Rio Medina, left on 2676, rt on 271, left on 1283, left on 16, rt on Privilege Creek rd, left on Old School rd, becomes Upper Mason creek rd ,rt on Elm Pass rd rt on 27 to Comfort. FM 473 to right on Old 9 rd, rt on Grapetown rd, right on 1376, left on 1888 to Blanco.
Good places for breakfast or lunch in Pipe Creek-Back Yard Bistro, Comfort-High's Cafe, Alamo Springs Cafe and Black Pig on Old 9 rd, Chess Club Cafe in Blanco.
Water crossings on Privilege creek can be slippery.

GrimSweeper nailed it.

Although this ROUTE runs the opposite way, reversing it starts at Privilege Creek and TX 16. After Comfort it strays off the above course.

Sander, what are you riding for this trip?

I plan on riding my DR650. The route is very big bike friendly though.

But I'm headed west tomorrow and I'm checking craigslist along my route. I love the DR but I' have MRD, Motorcycle Restlessness Disorder.

Last edited:
I plan on riding my DR650. The route is very big bike friendly though.

But I'm headed west tomorrow and I'm checking craigslist along my route. I love the DR but I' have MRD, Motorcycle Restlessness Disorder.
Just be sure to keep the DR. Many have regretted selling them only to buy another.

Also, I'm not going to be able to make this ride. My arm isn't ready for it yet. Just a couple hours on the bike and I'm hurting. Maybe we can do that 2 day Menard ride again in a couple months, I'll probably be up to it by then. ;)

Last edited:
Hey riders, can anyone recommend an iphone app that will give turn-by-turn navigation from the .gpx file?

If not turn-by-turn, how about a favored app for displaying the .gpx and one’s position?

Thanks - looking forward to this, weather permitting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey riders, can anyone recommend an iphone app that will give turn-by-turn navigation from the .gpx file?

If not turn-by-turn, how about a favored app for displaying the .gpx and one’s position?

I’ve had some success with the Scenic app. It’s not 100% bulletproof and it’s not free, but it’s pretty good.

Osmand has worked great with all of Sanders routes on all his monthly rides in nav mode last year for me. (Sometimes my handlebars don't follow for some reason:ponder:) He is meticulous and is allways working on and proving his routes .You can use it both ways which you are refering to and has offline maps. It's kinda complicated with a learning curve but you will figure it out. Maps are not as clear like Google maps but have lots (maybe too much ) detail. Im just used to using google maps daily with my work. If google would adopt the use of .gpx, google maps would be the goldilocks nav app.

Also maps.me is pretty good but does not use gpx but uses that other file klz (klr:-P) or something. This is how i used it last january (following mode) before Gourdhead turned me on to Osmand. The maps are pretty clear too for me.

Last edited:
A friend sent me this.

IMG_0844.jpg

Sander - I am new to the group, and I will ride next Saturday. I don’t own a GPS unit yet, so may I ride in your group or would you help me get into a group that has GPS? Thanks, Craig

Sander - I am new to the group, and I will ride next Saturday. I don’t own a GPS unit yet, so may I ride in your group or would you help me get into a group that has GPS? Thanks, Craig[/Q

Craig, hook up with Stromxtc (Brian) I think he’s doing this ride. A good guy that led us on a Saturday ride to Lampasas when Sander had a flat and didn’t make it. Plus, he’s one of us southern boys that likes to randomly meet n ride.

Craig, hook up with Stromxtc (Brian) I think he’s doing this ride. A good guy that led us on a Saturday ride to Lampasas when Sander had a flat and didn’t make it. Plus, he’s one of us southern boys that likes to randomly meet n ride.
Not coming? What's wrong wit choo, boy?

Sander, will you be doing the 250 or 300 route?

-gerald

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Gerald,

250, the unofficial route, as on the sticker.

When I was tweaking the 250 mile route I noticed some roads in the southwest part of the county I didn't include and wanted to see how many total miles I could get in Medina county and ended up with 300. The 300 covers the majority of the same track as the 250 route.

I've run out of daylight twice on the 250, only completing it once.

I've been wondering who is going to attempt the 300.

Back