• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Jan 2-3 Barnwell Mountain Gilmer, TX

this will be my first time riding out there... I hear the single track can get pretty gnarly... you think the XR is too big as well? im going to start on the adventure trail first

It depends on your skill set. What size XR? I would say the XR would be easier than the 700. Bigger bike is tougher. There are plenty of roads you can ride on as well.
Lots of rocks and roots. If you're riding with some other folks it would make it easier in case you have issues. If you want a cabin or RV spot I'd say get one now. That weekend will be crowded but mostly SXS and jeep crowd. I can usually ride all day on single track and never see another rider.
You'll have a blast.

There's hard stuff, there's medium stuff, but aside from the roads running around there's not really easy stuff. You can still have a pretty good time though and practice on whatever you ride before you encounter similar situations on accident on a trip.

You planning on doing both days or just feeling out a day to go? I've been wanting to get back over there myself.

It depends on your skill set. What size XR? I would say the XR would be easier than the 700. Bigger bike is tougher. There are plenty of roads you can ride on as well.
Lots of rocks and roots. If you're riding with some other folks it would make it easier in case you have issues. If you want a cabin or RV spot I'd say get one now. That weekend will be crowded but mostly SXS and jeep crowd. I can usually ride all day on single track and never see another rider.
You'll have a blast.
xr650l.... that's really why im going is to improve offroad skills and get more confident.. think ill start with the "easy" trail and see from there if I want to attempt the single track stuff.. I got a bunkhouse booked... cant wait..

Last edited:
There's hard stuff, there's medium stuff, but aside from the roads running around there's not really easy stuff. You can still have a pretty good time though and practice on whatever you ride before you encounter similar situations on accident on a trip.

You planning on doing both days or just feeling out a day to go? I've been wanting to get back over there myself.
both days... all day Saturday and then till 2-3ish on sunday…

a few videos from Barnwell... I came away with these thoughts... I’m old! I already want another lighter bike!! And my off-road skills aren’t good... cool place... had a blast...

Working through the videos, I like it better without the stylizing. Wow, that lens makes it look like you are riding a 50cc bike. :D

I can also tell that if we rode there together in the same truck, there'd be no arguing about the music selection. ;)

Great to see you out there doing it.
it was fun... already looking forward to the next group ride.... I did come away very sore and bruised... im old... and had to order a new shift lever (bent up pretty bad but lucky it didnt get into the case) and busted a blinker.. which I have had plans on replacing anyway... and then theres something weird going on with my front brakes now... after all that... im still ready to go on another ride soon..

Working through the videos, I like it better without the stylizing. Wow, that lens makes it look like you are riding a 50cc bike. :D

I can also tell that if we rode there together in the same truck, there'd be no arguing about the music selection. ;)
Me Three on the music. I’d also like to go check that place out.

Back