• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Jap bike salvage yard

Reaction score
Just picked up a 1979 Honda GL1000 that has been sitting for over 10 years. It's in pretty rough shape but I think I can do a resurrection and get it back on the road.

Most of it is there but it is missing a fair amount of parts. Mostly body parts, muffler, seat, headlite, brackets and stuff like that.

I'm in Smithville. Is there a Jap bike salvage yard around where I could go and poke around and dig up the stuff I need?

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_301.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_301.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 441
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_310.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_310.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 593
LaserDave, that's what I'm hoping, good bones. Put in a new battery and starter and the motor turns, not frozen. No spark yet. That's all I know at this point.

The front master cylinder piston is rusted solid, no way to get it to move so a new one is on order. The two front calipers are also solidified. Will have to disassemble and rebuild.

If somebody has one of these 78-79 bikes, I would love to visit and just look at it to see how stuff goes together.

Still looking for a source for some parts.

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_300.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_300.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 335
There's a cycle salvage in Beaumont, Northend Cycle Salvage, www.necycle.com Their not close to Smithville, but have a lot of stuff and might be worth contacting.
Also, the SOHC4 forum might be a good source for finding parts for vintage Hondas. I've got a couple of CB750's and SOHC4 has been a big help rebuilding and maintaining these old bike.

Good Luck, Bud...

Bates Cycle in east Dallas. I bought some parts from them when I was keeping my '79 Honda running - headlight buckets, luggage racks, things like that. Even though they're just across town, I did it all over the phone & they shipped the parts to me.

There is a guy in Weatherford that has basically a Honda graveyard. I don't know his name or number, but sometimes you will see restored Honda's listed on Craigslist if you type in Weatherford under "for sale" "motorcycles".
Been to his place once and it's crazy how many bone yard Honda's he has.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

There was a guy in Brookshire that had a literal private museum in his back yard. One barn was FULL of all kinds of frames, parts, tanks, rims, motors, etc,... By full, I mean literally piles of stuff. Then there was a second barn behind that and it was setup inside like a fantastic little museum with loads of restored bikes, racing memorabilia, posters, and more. Most of it was from the 60s and 70s. I think his Dad owned a bike shop at one time and they were involved in racing. I was blown away when we walked in there. One of the guys in our group apparently knew the owner and we all visited after a pie run that was held just down the street. I have no idea who the guy was, but someone else here might know.

Are you by chance the guy I met who now lives just above Rocky Hill, but below the water tower, who works on a bunch of old 2 strokes?

Oh, Fang (Steve) on this board had 2 of these in pretty good shape and just sold them. Maybe he has a number for who he sold them to.

Red Springs is a bust. They let the place go way too long without any maintenance. Even if you did actually find anything of worth, they are asking WAY to much for it. I have gone three or four times since they opened back up for select Saturdays just to try and find the parts to a 200cc go cart i built when i was 14 that was stolen and sold to them.

If you are missing that many parts I suggest that you find a parts bike or two. Places like Bates are fair but it adds up quickly. Also, seems like the same parts fail and I want to say it was the water pumps on the old GWs. Parts bikes ought to be cheap, not the sum of selling its individual parts like some folks ask.

Reactions: JMZ
SL350 I agree. Instead of trying to find OEM parts at over the top prices I'm thinking of just building up a BRAT bike. For example, my right side exhaust is rotted. An OEM also rotted muffler on FleaBay is $125. As a starter and for next to nothing I'm going with a set of OEM Harley FXD muffles in like new condition.

Here's a pic of the original OEM mufflers and a pic of the FXD mufflers. After this, instead of paying outrageous dollars to finish up the fake gas tank (Honda calls it "shelter") I'll go with something else. Don't know what yet.

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_323.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_323.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 231
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_324.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_324.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 370
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_326.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_326.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 167
Just picked up a 1979 Honda GL1000 that has been sitting for over 10 years. It's in pretty rough shape but I think I can do a resurrection and get it back on the road.

Most of it is there but it is missing a fair amount of parts. Mostly body parts, muffler, seat, headlite, brackets and stuff like that.

I'm in Smithville. Is there a Jap bike salvage yard around where I could go and poke around and dig up the stuff I need?
I have a 1977 GL1000 for sale. It comes with a lot of extra parts as well. I do not have a title for it, but will give you a bill of sale. I am asking $300.00 for everything. Let me know if you would like some pictures. I am in Fort Worth.

LaserDave, that's what I'm hoping, good bones. Put in a new battery and starter and the motor turns, not frozen. No spark yet. That's all I know at this point.

The front master cylinder piston is rusted solid, no way to get it to move so a new one is on order. The two front calipers are also solidified. Will have to disassemble and rebuild.

If somebody has one of these 78-79 bikes, I would love to visit and just look at it to see how stuff goes together.

Still looking for a source for some parts.
Yosa in selma on i35 had a pristine early gl 1000 was up on the second floor for viewing. Do not know if it is still there.

The parts I need are starting to come together. Thanks for all the tips on the used parts yards. Some are pricey, probably because there are only so many donor bikes. Bringing old jap bikes back to life seems to be quite the thing to do now-a-days, if you like wrenching on a budget.

Carbs are off to Tennessee for a professional rebuild. Not cheap, but has to be done.

The project is moving on. Still looking for a seat, headlight, turn signals and misc. brackets.

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_31e.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_31e.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 217
Check out Clark's Wheeled Sports in Greenville Texas. They have so many bikes its unreal. Never seen that many old bikes in one spot in my life.
Not too many people know about it. I know the owner John Clark. He's been around the sport for about 60 years.
Carbs can be rebuilt by a local guy named Lucky Nichols at LCS.

The parts I need are starting to come together. Thanks for all the tips on the used parts yards. Some are pricey, probably because there are only so many donor bikes. Bringing old jap bikes back to life seems to be quite the thing to do now-a-days, if you like wrenching on a budget.

Carbs are off to Tennessee for a professional rebuild. Not cheap, but has to be done.

The project is moving on. Still looking for a seat, headlight, turn signals and misc. brackets.
Those carbs look like fun to rebuild!

No one was closer than TN?

aspr,

I picked PPsvc in TN based on other users experiences. They specialize in Honda 4 carb sets. And they are the only ones I've found that after rebuilding, they put the 4 carb set on a running motor they have set up in the shop to balance and fine tune the carbs. PPsvc says they will come back to me better than new.

I found some parts on flea bay. $27 for the fake tank frame and what kills me, $34 for shipping. I was hoping the junk yard near Houston would have what parts I need, but they don't.

Right now, I am in de-rusting/de-varnishing **** with the gas tank. This pic shows about 1/3 of what came out.. and there is stil more to come, the flash lite shows a lot more.

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_329.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_329.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 192
The bike is coming along.

Having a hard time finding a voltage regulator. The 79 uses a 3 wire/plug regulator. Anybody got one?

The parts are coming together. Found a regulator on FleaBay. Exactly what I need, the picture and even the OEM part number is correct.

Instead of a regulator, the guy sent me a rectifier. And now isn't answering my emails.

The big thing I need is a seat. I have the seat pan. Anybody got a Corbin or other cafe style seat? Anybody know how to make a cafe style out of this pan?

Back