• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

JAX PARTY 2020

Splash

User's account inactive by request
Inactive Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Harkins
I’m planning on heading to Jacksonville tomorrow morning for the IBA Party and the Park and Ride 1000. As some know i have been undergoing 18 weeks of chemo at MD Anderson, I finished last Tuesday. The longest ride I’ve had since starting chemo has been a whopping 416 miles. My plan is to attempt a SS1000 to Jacksonville tomorrow. I have serious doubts that I’ll get it done, in fact I may find I can’t make the trip at all. The chemo has taken quite a toll. Trying and failing is not an issue for me. If I get to Jacksonville, I’m registered for another 1000 mile in 24 hours ride starting Thursday morning. I’m including a link to my spotwalla, probably won’t be as entertaining as my RAT last June.

That’s a long ways, but let’s try anyway

Your ride looks ready and capable! 👍
Have a safe and speedy journey.

Tim I believe you can do it. Hope your heath gets better, it just takes some time. Have a great ride.

Yeah right. Have you ever known me to wash a bike. I think some rain blew in and rinsed the front slightly.
OMG! Did you wash your bike? Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your ride looks ready and capable! 👍
Have a safe and speedy journey.
For sure, she’s ready for many miles. Just not sure I’m up for many miles.

I can't make JAX this year or I'd offer to ride with you. Have a great ride - SS1K from TX to FL down I-10 likely about ~14 hours so you've got plenty of time to take short breaks, eat, hydrate etc - whatever is needed to finish. Enjoy yourself and the pizza party!

As my relatives say, you be careful on that thing. :-P Have a great time buddy

My tracking glitched. I’m bout 45 miles west of Mobile

Are you attempting to make it to Jacksonville tonight? I thought my ride back from Big Bend to Houston was long. Geez

Yes. Right now I’m sitting in a Waffle House enjoying a cup of coffee and a waffle with two medium eggs on top. Crestview, Fl.

Made it. I think it was 19hours, 58 minutes. I was at the Waffle House for 52 minutes and had a couple other long breaks, not as young as I was 9 months ago. About half the trip was in some sort of precipitation, from frog choking rain for about 30 minutes to mist that kept the road nice and wet. I really couldn’t see it on radar. And, from the Waffle House to within about 30 miles of Jacksonville, fog. I’m at the hotel but they won’t let me check in till 11:00.

Made it home this morning. Three SS1000s. Yesterday morning I got up thinking about a nice leisurely 2 day return ride, maybe up to Tennessee. But their forecast nixed that, so after a little math, I decided to just roll it. I thought what the heck, let’s do a BBG1500. That’s 1500 miles in 24 hours instead of a1000 miles. You have to maintain a 67 mph overall average which means with stops you need a moving average of the high 70s. My added fuel tank allowed me to ride all but one leg right up to the Iron Butt limit of 350 miles. I did set a new personal record for a SS1000, 15:30 hours. I know I could have been under 15 hours accept for the crappy conditions of I10 in my beloved Texas. Just HORRIBLE!.

I ended my Bun Burner 1500 Gold with a failure by exactly 30 minutes. The last 500 miles last night was nothing but rain and very dense fog in the area known for lots of deer and feral hogs. There were many miles of fog that had me running at 45 mph.

Out of about 3900 miles during 5.5 days just about half was anything from driving rain to dense fog. Are we having fun yet? Strangely, yes.

I’m disappointed in my failure to record a Gold level 1500. I do plan another try in the near future but I’ll be headed out Texas T’s way. Maybe it will not be so wet.

Screw Cancer! I made the ride. I’m ready to go again. Giddy up. If you want to see the entire track, you’ll need to open the link, click the title, Park and Ride, chose Adjustments and then click fill in.

Made it home this morning. Three SS1000s. Yesterday morning I got up thinking about a nice leisurely 2 day return ride, maybe up to Tennessee. But their forecast nixed that, so after a little math, I decided to just roll it. I thought what the heck, let’s do a BBG1500. That’s 1500 miles in 24 hours instead of a1000 miles. You have to maintain a 67 mph overall average which means with stops you need a moving average of the high 70s. My added fuel tank allowed me to ride all but one leg right up to the Iron Butt limit of 350 miles. I did set a new personal record for a SS1000, 15:30 hours. I know I could have been under 15 hours accept for the crappy conditions of I10 in my beloved Texas. Just HORRIBLE!.

I ended my Bun Burner 1500 Gold with a failure by exactly 30 minutes. The last 500 miles last night was nothing but rain and very dense fog in the area known for lots of deer and feral hogs. There were many miles of fog that had me running at 45 mph.

Out of about 3900 miles during 5.5 days just about half was anything from driving rain to dense fog. Are we having fun yet? Strangely, yes.

I’m disappointed in my failure to record a Gold level 1500. I do plan another try in the near future but I’ll be headed out Texas T’s way. Maybe it will not be so wet.

Screw Cancer! I made the ride. I’m ready to go again. Giddy up. If you want to see the entire track, you’ll need to open the link, click the title, Park and Ride, chose Adjustments and then click fill in.
My wife and I have enjoyed reading this thread. Very inspiring!

Made it home this morning. Three SS1000s.

I ended my Bun Burner 1500 Gold with a failure by exactly 30 minutes.

Congrats, Mr Mile Eater.

Oh well, a BBS is better than nothing.

Your weather sounds just like my 50CC. Horrendous conditions for so much of the trip. Like you, it's better to slow or stop than to have something bad happen because we had a case of gotta-get-there-itis.

All's well that ends well. Good job!

Back