• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Jorge Lorenzo retires.

OldTLSDoug

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, didn't see this one coming. Lorenza announced his retirement after the Valencia round. Maybe Zarco has a shot at a Repsol Honda ride next to Marquez. Let the silly season re-start. Go over to Motogp.com and watch his press conference. Pretty good, very professional, heartfelt. Rossi wasn't there....

This needed to happen. He has had a really rough season and was destroying his legacy as a champion. I'm really not a big JL fan. Think he's a bit of a cocky jerk. However, he is a phenomenal talent and a great rider and should go out with respect. I'm glad he's leaving now before Honda had to terminate his contract and force him out.

For next year, I suspect Zarco to LCR Honda and Crutchlow to Factory Honda for one year deals each.

Almost every existing rider on the grid in MotoGP has a contract that ends in 2020. They'll start shuffling early in 2020 with a lot of contracts done a year in advance so I agree silly season is about to begin, but the changes won't happen until 2021.

You know the Cadillac could be a Double Marquez Honda Team. That could be great fun to watch......loves me some silly season.

Wow - that's big news. If JL had stuck with Ducati (or they with him) I think he could at least have seen a good number of podiums this year. I also am not a big fan of his, but back when he was fast, he was super fun to watch ride. Now, if Rossi also gets inspiration from Jorge and hangs up his leathers, that'll really be the end of the Aliens era. Seems like Crutchlow also only has a year left also. And Dovi's no spring chicken...

If Zarco lands on the Respol next year, then he's the luckiest man on the paddock. If it happens, he'll need to be fast and consistent - it'll be a make it or break it career move.

> You know the Cadillac could be a Double Marquez Honda Team

The hubbub seems to put Alex Marquez on Pramac Duc in 2021?

For the title, Fabio needs to come out early and pressure Marc from the first race. I admit to being a big Marquez fan, but it's time he actually had to work for a title.

As real shame. While I might not have been wild about his personality, from what you can really tell of someone by seeing them on TV..., I did enjoy watching him take it to Rossi. And, unlike Rossi, he had some decent success with Ducati in the second half of 2018. I think breaking his back just took the wind out of him. While I certainly don't wish bad things on Marquez, it would be interesting to see if he bounced back from such a bad injury. Breaking a collar bone, finger, or even a leg is one thing. Breaking your back and coming close to being in a wheel chair the rest of your life brings that whole mortality thing home in a big way. Rossi was never quite the same after he broke his leg, and that was just a leg! Let's face it, to ride at the level these guys are riding, I really think they have to be in that state of denial about their own mortality that only young people seem to be able to maintain. Once that bubble pops, it can't really be un-popped. That Rossi is still riding at the level he is at his age speak volumes to me about his ability and self discipline. Marquez can talk smack all he likes, but we'll wait and see what happens as he ages...

There is also the whole jumping ship to another brand and having to develop another bike. I have to wonder if Marquez will stick with Honda in the assurance that he can keep racking up the wins, points, records, etc,... or if he might be willing to risk switching to another brand to see if he can do like Rossi did when he switched to Yamaha?

Also, I would NOT say Marquez hasn't had to work for his titles, this year or any other. The kid has amazing talent and you can tell he rides the bike on the very edge, witness all those insane saves he's made!! All the other riders on the Hondas complain about how hard they are to ride, but he gets it done. It reminds me of Casey Stoner on the Ducati. All the other riders weren't able to get results on the Ducs and yet Stoner was blowing away the field and making it look easy. It is a common thing when watching anyone that is really exceptionally good at what they do to think they aren't working hard because they make it look so easy. A GREAT example would be Graham Jarvis in the most recent Erzburg Enduro... I think he was 44 years old and took the win. I guess in one sense they are not literally working as hard in terms of physical extertion because their skill allows them to expend the least amount of energy to get the most out of the bikes while the lack of skill in lesser riders requires them to expend more energy because they haven't learned how to let the bike do the work for them.

More speed than anyone else on the straights has less to do with the rider and more to do with bike development. I have a feeling Yamaha will have more top end next year. Have seen a bit of it happing in the later stages of this year. Remember when Honda a few years ago had an advanced computer system on their bike and walked away from the other teams. Then they chanced the rules to get a level playing field and it got competitive for awhile. Honda through observing, has a power advantage on top end over the other bikes. That along with Marquez's talent and weight spell trouble for the other riders, for now.

It is not just that Marc was fast on the straights, which he obviously was, but he hauls in the corners as well, which is why even when he was down on the Ducs on straight line speeds, he was still winning races. The Yamahas were embarrassing on the straights this year. Watching Rossi's doors get blown off down the main straight at Phillip Island after his fantastic start was disheartening...

Maybe Zarco has a shot at a Repsol Honda ride next to Marquez.

Frenchie on a Spanish Repsol team? No way!

For next year, I suspect Zarco to LCR Honda and Crutchlow to Factory Honda for one year deals each.

Someone is getting a one year deal at Factory Honda, because...

You know the Cadillac could be a Double Marquez Honda Team.

This is a Repsol dream. You know there's folks pouring over contracts and talking to the accountants to pull whatever strings necessary to make this happen.

Jorge fan or not, he is an incredible champion with a silky smooth style and was a terminator like machine with pace like a metronome when he was at one with the bike. It was painful to see him riding around at the back, hurt and uncomfortable with no confidence. I don't blame him, the sport is at a loss to lose that kind of talent but I wish him the best in retirement.

Jorge fan or not, he is an incredible champion with a silky smooth style and was a terminator like machine with pace like a metronome when he was at one with the bike. It was painful to see him riding around at the back, hurt and uncomfortable with no confidence. I don't blame him, the sport is at a loss to lose that kind of talent but I wish him the best in retirement.
Agreed. When he hit the front on a track where he had pace and he could run those smooth lines, nobody caught him.

He is a phenomenal talent and although I didn't like him that much, it really was painful to see him at the back. He was looking like he didn't belong on the grid when he's clearly a top 5 rider in any race when fit and on a bike he trusts. That was hard to watch.

Frenchie on a Spanish Repsol team? No way!

Someone is getting a one year deal at Factory Honda, because...

This is a Repsol dream. You know there's folks pouring over contracts and talking to the accountants to pull whatever strings necessary to make this happen.
BOOM!!!

Also in the not-a-fan camp, but wish him improved health and happiness. I'm glad I'll never have to see one of his post-race celebrations again, although MM seems to be carrying that torch on, sadly.

Surprise. Also Avintia Ducati will get Zarco I bet because Ducati stepped in. I bet they said, "Pssst Dovi will retire, someone will replace him, show us what you got."

Man... Zarco took a serious WHACK!! :brainsnap

I hope he stays in for next season. I always enjoyed him when he was in Moto2 and had hoped to see him do better in MotoGP.

So, on the Zarco front, Avintia Ducati is now Officially a Ducati Satellite Team=better bikes more chance of winning. This is why Zarco said he would not go there because they are a second rate team. This move may get him over the hump and back on the MotoGP grid. Watching the Valencia Test live right now. Alex Marquez only made it 8 laps until his first gravel trap. Steep learning curves are fun.

So is Alex officially team mates with Marc on the factory Honda?

Yep and Advitia Ducati has been upgraded to a satellite team, so I bet they sign Zarco before the Jerez test on Monday. Someone will be leaving Avitia Ducati, Tito Rabat and Abraham are the riders, so we shall see.

Yep and Advitia Ducati has been upgraded to a satellite team
So, that's 6 first-class Duc's on the grid next year? That's a serious commitment If they don't get the constructor's trophy next year....

Tito Rabat and Abraham are the riders, so we shall see.
Abraham brings is own dough, so if he leaves Avintia, he'll show back up somewhere. Bummer for Tito.

Well, Karel Abraham was let go from Avintia Ducati and he is mad about it. Looks like the Zarco move to Ducati may come true.

Well, Karel Abraham was let go from Avintia Ducati and he is mad about it. Looks like the Zarco move to Ducati may come true.

I don't know how that guy has lasted as long as he has in MotoGP!? :shrug: He has ALWAYS been at the back. I don't know that I have ever seen him finish in the points unless LOTS of other people crashed out. Yet, there he has been for years!

I read where Alex has a one year contract. It will be interesting. My advice is don't crowd your older brother :box:

Back