• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

JT had a wreck

I was serious about tacos and mescal on Saturday :)

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Sad to hear. Get well soon JT.
Paypal sent.

Ok, now that we know JT is going to survive, lets shift to a much more important topic, how is the bike? Is it hurt, in pain, does it need comforting on any level?

All kidding aside, really great news to hear they have been able to put humpy dumpty back together! Let me know if I can help at all.

Glad to read John's note and continuing hoping for a prompt and complete recovery.

Glad you are on the mend. SAMMC is a top trauma hospital. I will definitely pray for your continued healing.

Hey JT, stay positive. Back in '81 the Doc told me I would probably never ride again with this elbow. :deal:
I know you won't be down long. We will check in on you.

Sam

WOW, I gotta stop by here more often. JT, it's good to hear it's going so well. I still remember my helio ride and my stay , and I hated it. If you need anything just ask and tell Ron to get on it.............
So if your right foot is a little slow to get back to normal, does that mean you're gonna be shiftless?
Get better faster.
Tom

Last edited:
Get well soon JT. Hope you at least have pretty young nurses taking care of you. Last time I was in for an extended stay at Brackenridge , 8 out of 10 were knockouts. LOL.
156c4e219a5373b7a07a9b682b2c3be6.jpg

Hi JT! Looking forward to seeing you on another ride soon! :rider:

Remember all the organization work that Richard and JT do for these fun TWT activities. It's time to give back to help a guy that will have a difficult few months ahead recovering. There will be expensis that he will be needed help in covering. I have made a small donation and so should you. Just go to PayPal https://www.paypal.com/signin?returnUri=https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_account and make a new account or sign in and send money to his email account. jthomp1@gmail.com set your pay preference as a credit card(credit incurs small fee) or bank payment and your done. Easy. JT is not asking for any donations, I just think its the right thing to help out a GOOD GUY!

My thoughts and prayers go out to JT. He has been such an inspiration to many dual-sport folks like myself. He has always researched many great ADV routes, especially on my visit to Copper Canyon last year.

I'll keep checking this thread to see if there is anything else I can do.

Best Wishes,

Fred

Crashin comes with this need to ride. Its not the first or will be the last. Hammer down...

Last edited by a moderator:
7/25 Update: The most current medical consensus is that JT will likely need a minimum of 2 more operations on his foot. One for sure but likely at least two. Or more. The doctors don't know how much more work needs to be done on the foot until they complete each operation and evaluate its effectiveness. In any case, they are waiting for the swelling in the foot to decrease significantly before scheduling the next foot operation.

The best estimate is that JT will be in the hospital through next week (say 7-10 more days).

He remains upbeat and really appreciates the many visits and calls he has received so far. Speaking of which, if you have the time and inclination to visit him in the hospital, please feel free to do so. It really lifts his spirit during these trying times.

Also, he asked me to convey a heartfelt thank you to everyone who has made a donation - every dollar helps. He is continuously on pain meds, which of course are affecting him so he's not on his computer much.

Last edited:
This. ^

Thank you all for the prayers and well wishes, it sure helps.
Rich pretty well covered current conditions, the back will 100% in time, the foot maybe not 100, but I'll be able to shift.

Thank you,
John

That is the spirit JT!! Twist and Shift. May you have a speedy recovery.

Heal fast JT! The whole community is rooting for you.

What happened exactly? Street accident with Strom? Off road on KTM or gravel on XR, DRZ? Solo or another vehicle involved?

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Big prayers from Me and TravelDiva! Best wishes for a "speedy" recovery.

7/26 Update: Excellent news today - JT was moved from ICU to a regular room this afternoon and has completed the first of many physical therapy sessions. The updated medical plan is that he is going to be discharged (perhaps as early as tomorrow) and then will return to the hospital for an additional surgery on his foot on Aug 7th.

:tab Man I hope those foot surgeries go well. Even a minor foot issue can take a long time to fully recover from. I only had two screws stuck in my ankle (actually the bump on the lower end of the BIG bone in the leg got screwed back onto that big bone so it wasn't even down in the joints really). The actual cut was just a small crescent shape around the lower portion of the bump. That required 10 weeks in a cast and NO WEIGHT on the foot during that time. It was probably a year before that ankle felt normal again and I could walk/run across a yard without worrying about the ankle rolling to one side or the other if the ground was slightly uneven. Strength therapy works, so don't skimp on it! However, once it did recover, all has been well since then. I can't tell if the weather is changing because of the hardware still in there :-P

That IS great news. Thanks for the update, Richard.

Yes that is great news. Glad you get to head home, that helps speed things up when you are in your environment. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back