• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

July 4th 2017 Parade

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Time to dust off the old jeep again....

I didn't think this one was going to happen. At the last minute I decided I'd see if Dad was up for the local parade in his neighborhood. We've done this many times over the years and he always gets a kick out of participating. For a number of years he participated in his 1965 Corvette he bought new. This year he'd be a passenger.

The answer was a resounding "Yes", so I had to dig the trailer out, air the tires/check the lights and brakes and saw where the wood was rotting on the deck. Darn it. Located an old piece of plywood and cut it to fit/screwed it down so the jeep wouldn't fall through. Next was the jeep which hadn't been started in about six weeks. Fired right up. AND it stopped when requested since the right rear brake cylinder I replaced a couple months ago was holding just fine. Loaded the jeep up, tied it down and then started searching for a proper uniform to wear. I'm in the process of moving, so everything is in unmarked boxes scattered all over the place. I finally found a WWII HBT mechanics coverall set and put that out for the morning. Didn't sleep a wink the night of the 3rd. Got up reallllllll early on the 4th and drove into Austin, unloaded and staged. Turns out the parade organizer loved my jeep so much and the fact I was carrying my Dad who is a WWII/Korean War veteran, I was "promoted" to the lead vehicle just after the police car. Dad was smiling like a cat with a fresh bird.

Behind us was another WWII vet in a newer Ford Thunderbird, and the vet had a friend who was going to walk next to the car for the parade. I offered the friend a 'back seat' ride and he declined, so I chatted him up and it turns out he was career military and in the Ordinance Department working specifically on ordering/repair and maintenance of the M38A1. He poured over the jeep and said mine was nicer than most of what he saw in service. Wow. And he was amazed at the authenticity of the whole vehicle pointing to little things only he or an owner/history buff would know. So when the parade was ready to start he comes over and asks if he can take me up on that offer. Well heck yeah! So I was fortunate to be the lead vehicle with Dad who is 92, and Perry (Korea/Vietnam) for this years parade.

Since I stayed close to Dad, I didn't get much out of eyesight for the event so the pictures are few. Yet here's a couple snaps of this year with Dad. The annual Austin Veterans Day parade is next!

Here's the old jeep Dad and I restored. A 1953 M38A1 manufactured by Willys-Overland in Toledo OH and delivered to the US ARMY in August of 1953. I've had this crazy thing 20+ years now. wow.
i-j24rJXv-XL.jpg

Dad
i-TbLz56X-XL.jpg

Dad and Perry (and Willie Nelson on the back left? lol)
i-FHLCrv7-XL.jpg

This is what a small neighborhood parade looks like from my perspective
i-4CXRXKW-XL.jpg

Thanks for riding along!

Last edited:
So this got me thinking a bit..... Can I find pictures in my archives of Dad's time in the military? :ponder:

US NAVY
Jr. ROTC
i-sHcjf7V.jpg

US NAVY
Newly commissioned V-12 Program, University of Oklahoma
i-qb8qVmJ.jpg

US NAVY
WWII - Somewhere in the Pacific
i-7BKZdwK.jpg

A little 'short' he wrote called "Deck Watch"

DECK WATCH
It was late in 1945 and the war was just over. The task of returning battle weary veterans from the Far East was in full swing when our ship the USS Westmoreland APA 104 returning from a trip to the Philippines was directed to the Willamette shipyard for repairs. The shipyard was a division of Willamette Steel and Iron on the river near Portland OR. As a recently commissioned Ensign with a Mechanical Engineering Degree, I was assigned Engineering Officer of B division responsible for the boilers and all associated pumps, pipes etc. and a crew of about 20 boiler tenders, machinists and other rates. The Westmoreland was Auxiliary Personnel Attack ship 492 feet in length with gross weight of 16,000 tons and with an 8,500 hp turbine could cruise at 18 knots. She carried 21 small boats (LCVP landing craft vehicle/personnel) capable of carrying about 30 foot soldiers or a vehicle and personnel. The ship was designed to carry up to 1,740 troops to the beach area where they would be loaded on the small boats and make amphibious landings

Engineers loved their Engine Room where the boilers, turbines and all associated equipment were located in the very lowest levels of the ship. Seldom did line officers invade our private domain. Engineering officers were quickly qualified to stand OD (officer of the deck) watches in port and on rare occasions assist with watch duties when the ship was underway. These watch duties were not very high on our list of favorite things to do. When in port the Executive Officer would be encouraged by the line Officers to assign Engineers to stand watch in order to provide them a bit more free time. It was fairly common for the targeted Engineer to point out that a pump needed packing or a leaky valve needed work when the subject of Engineers for watch duty was mentioned. But occasionally we did end up standing watches. The Deck watch officer along with a half dozen seamen at strategic locations was responsible for the safety and continued functioning of the ship. It was in December 1945 that I was standing the 0000 to 0400 deck watch while tied up to the dock in the Willamette Shipyard that I became aware of the extent young sailors would go to in an effort to avoid being bored.

First I recall how very cold the deck of a ship can be when standing relatively still in wet weather with temperature near freezing. No amount of arm waving, deep knee bends, or other exercises would restore circulation to a comfortable level. The wharf area was quite large with acres and acres of materials neatly stacked in uniform squares 6 or more feet high leaving lanes through which trucks could traverse to deposit and retrieve the materials. The jeeps we carried for ship’s personnel to use on business when in port were parked nearby in the sea of materials on the wharf. Late in the watch one of the seamen initiated a conversation not related to how cold it was. He noted that some damage had occurred to the back end of one of the jeeps. He explained that two of the men on watch had been maneuvering the jeeps between the stored materials resulting in the damage. Inspection of the vehicle was a real shock when it was observed that the entire back end of one of the jeeps had been stove in with a mighty impact. With a very quizzical look I inquired “how could this be?” His response was simple. It was really thrilling hurtling through these dimly lighted canyons of materials when racing in reverse. The watch report dutifully reported that one of the jeeps sustained some damage while maneuvering through the dimly lighted canyons of materials on the wharf.

...and another called Panama Canal

PANAMA CANAL
Fairly early in 1946 all military personnel in the Pacific not required for further duty had been returned home. The Westmoreland received orders to proceed via Hawaii to load additional troops and then to the US. When the troops were disembarked we were ordered to proceed through the Panama Canal to Norfolk VA where the ship would be decommissioned.

The trip to Panama was uneventful and we were obliged to spend an overnight anchored in Colon, the town at the Pacific end of the Canal. A large number of ships were anchored there waiting for their turn to go through the canal. Every sailor that could get liberty was ashore looking for excitement. Considering the fact that it was not a very good place to visit in the first place, the crowds made it even less desirable.

It was a beautiful day when we got underway for the canal and I had just completed my turn on watch in the engine room giving me several hours off. Ensign Joe Gagliardo, one of my good friends, was in charge of the signal bridge where ship-to-ship light and flag signals originate. I thought this would be a great place to observe the process of moving the ship into and out of the locks and joined Joe my fun loving friend. The signal bridge was one deck above and slightly aft of the bridge where the Captain, Exec and others controlling the ship were located. Each of these locations was clearly visible to the other.

As we approached the entrance to the first lock we observed an LCI following our ship. The LCI is a Landing Craft Infantry 160 feet long 387 tons and carried 182 troops for amphibious attacks. They were ocean-going vessels although few people would consider them suitable for sailing open waters. They were extremely unstable and lacked the minimum accommodations for more than a few people. They had returned their gallant vessel from the Pacific under conditions that made our voyage seem like a luxury cruise. We greatly admired their determination and perseverance.

Joe observed they were sending a message by signal light. The message gave their official designation and requested permission to proceed through the locks with the Westmoreland. This message was verbally communicated to the Captain on the bridge. Considering that the locks are quite long there was plenty of room for both ships to proceed through the locks together. The Captain requested that the signal officer inform the LCI that their request was granted. This approval was transmitted by blinker light. In an impish moment Joe added to the message the insult of all insults “do you want to be hoisted aboard?”. The immediate response was “negative, negative”. One of the officers on the bridge inquired what the final transmission was about to which Joe responded “they wished us safe passage”.

US NAVY
KOREA
i-J8n7zNt-X2.jpg

Another little short about him. I've often wondered why he never finished it, yet with some research primarily done through obtaining the ships Deck Logs for the time he was on-board, I determined that was his choice. He was there for Day 1 of the Inchon Invasion.

INCHON
The summer of 1950 I had completed three years as an Engineer in the Research Department of Phillips Petroleum Bartlesville OK. It was a great job in a wonderful place to live. With 3 principal employers including Phillips there were a large number of young college graduates, who in retrospect, were a cut above average in deportment, initiative and morality. Square dancing at the YMCA, swimming on local lakes with our surplus inflatable life raft, playing clarinet in the local band, volunteering as lifeguards at the Frank Phillips ranch swimming pool are good examples of how we spent our time outside of work. Joe Davison, Bob Gose and I, all Engineers in the Research Department, shared a garage apartment where oyster stew was a favorite meal ranking right up there with fried pork chops and chili. Life was very good and we were a happy lot when trouble developed in Korea.

I had been released from active duty in the Navy in May of 1946 and up to this point had paid little attention to the fact that I was still a member of the Navy Reserve. I received occasional letters regarding activities in the reserve units to which I paid little attention but dutifully answered the annual query regarding current status and address. June 25th North Korea unleashed 135,000 troops invading South Korea initiating the Korean War. By the first of July US Infantry began arriving in attempt to halt the rapid advance of the North Korean troops and by August 4 over 84,000 troops had been assembled for the defense of Pusan on the very southern tip of the peninsula. The 10th of July I received a letter from the Navy requesting qualified officers in several categories to volunteer to return to active duty. Things were not going well in Korea and I felt eminently qualified to return to an Engineering responsibility on a ship. My first experience in the Navy had been great completing my Mechanical Engineering Bachelors degree and then completing a Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering paid for by the GI bill.

And here's July 4th, 2017. Veteran / Honor Flight participant
i-mpsHZLq-XL.jpg

Last edited:
I can relate, but in my case the 'fun' days out & about are over. Definitely enjoy, it's too short!

Awesome pictures! I always enjoy a historical perspective too.

:sun:

The Korean clip was interesting. The armistice signed in the summer of 1953 is only a cease-fire between military forces, rather than an agreement between governments.

:eek2:

RB

Your Dad looks like he's having a great time! Looks like my neighborhood parade. I wanted to go but didn't feel strong enough. Too bad, I would have liked to meet him!

David

Your Dad looks like he's having a great time! Looks like my neighborhood parade. I wanted to go but didn't feel strong enough. Too bad, I would have liked to meet him!

David

This was the Farwest Blvd parade which is now on North Hills. lol....

I saw you crossing Far West and Mesa. I was too slow to get a picture. My wife (and I) love your Jeep . Its a beautiful piece of history.
We have a Rubicon that makes us feel like a part of the group.

Your Dad looks great too. Enjoy both pieces of history:clap:

Back