• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

July trip from Dallas-Sturgis

jqueen

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Well, last year we got some good suggestions for our California/Oregon trip, so I wanted to see if we get the same for our upcoming trip.. It'll be JQ1.0 on his bike (which may or may not be a NC700), myself and JQ2 on rented Harleys because we don't have unlimited vacation days, so renting lets us minimize the 500 miles to get in/out of Texas. I should also have my 11 year old daughter with me.

We aren't really asking for people to join us, but we're not deadset against it either, so PM me if you want to come along, just keep in mind we're not trying to organize a group ride, and we aren't coming back from Sturgis on the bikes - we are returning the bikes there and flying or possibly renting a car to get back.

We don't speed much on the straightaways, but we do keep a good pace in the curvy roads (yes, even on the big harleys). We do not all ride the same speed, so it's common to get spread out, and the leader slow down or pull off after 30 minutes until we bunch back up again.

We plan to leave from the Dallas area on July 18th, arrive in Sturgis, South Dakota on July 24th. I have a tentative route mapped out, but wanted to see if anybody had any suggestions on must-see roads, restaurants, tourist stops, etc.. I believe this is the trip link: https://trips.furkot.com/ts/hTLovP

It's probably hard to read, but below is the preliminary summary - other than the first day, we are setting really reasonable (for us anyway) mileage targets so we should have plenty of time to hike, sight-see, etc. We have a 463 mile day 1, 267 mile day 2, 319 mile day 3, 308 mile day 6, and everything else is less than 250/day. Past experience tells us that 300 mile days on pavement/200 mile days on dirt roads are fairly easy to repeat for several days in a a row. More than 300 miles on pavement is not hard, but prefer not to have them back to back.

• DAY 1
    • Argyle, Texas
    • 10:15 am - 107.8 miles / an hour 49 minutes - 12:05 pm
      PICK UP STRAGGLERS/LUNCH
    • 1:05 pm - 355.6 miles / 5 hours 51 minutes - 5:57 pm
      Clayton, NM
  • DAY 2
    • Clayton, NM
    • 8:30 am - 59.5 miles / an hour 5 minutes - 9:36 am
      Capulin Volcano
    • 10:36 am - 207.5 miles / 4 hours 48 minutes - 3:26 pm
      Monte Vista, CO
  • DAY 3
    • Monte Vista, CO
    • 8:30 am - 207.6 miles / 4 hours 20 minutes - 12:52 pm
      South Rim Road Black Canyon
    • 1:52 pm - 110.3 miles / 2 hours 34 minutes - 4:27 pm
      Nucla, CO
  • DAY 4
    • Nucla, CO
    • 8:30 am - 212.9 miles / 5 hours 8 minutes - 1:41 pm
      Hiking trail
    • 3:41 pm - 31.6 miles / an hour 15 minutes - 4:57 pm
      Paonia, CO
  • DAY 5
    • Paonia, CO
    • 8:30 am - 233.1 miles / 5 hours 19 minutes - 1:53 pm
      Central City, CO
  • DAY 6
    • Central City, CO
    • 8:30 am - 308.6 miles / 5 hours 38 minutes - 2:10 pm
    • Lusk, WY
  • DAY 7
    • Lusk, WY
    • 8:30 am - 113.5 miles / 2 hours 2 minutes - 10:33 am
      Crazy Horse Post Office
    • 11:33 am - 15.6 miles / 22 minutes - 11:56 am
      Mt Rushmore
    • 12:56 pm - 23.1 miles / 31 minutes - 1:28 pm
      Rapid City, SD

Last edited:
Here is day 1 (split so the interesting part can be scaled bigger):

And here is day 2,3,4,5:

And finally day 6 and 7:

As you can see from the images, we are trying to earmark some stopping points in, but we really suck at that, so if you've got any suggestions where we can drop a pin on one of those days, or roads we just MUST ride, let us know!

If you go to Devil's Tower WY, take 111 past Beulah to 24, real pretty road. Also, when you are doing Needles Hwy and Iron Mountain road, you can take Playhouse road between the 2 to stay in the fun stuff. Eat in Sturgis at The Pizza Ranch, has the best fried chicken you will find, pizza is normal pizza. (Lazelle St. and I90). You will see ads for the Loud American in Sturgis advertising Beef tips and noodles. Meh....they are ok.

On your route there, Lusk WY is the stagecoach capital of the world, but I have never seen a stagecoach there LOL. Triangle 4 steakhouse and Cafe in Lusk is a good lunch stop on your route there. Just don't plan on quick service.

Added Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Rd to our route, and added 111 as a pinned scenic route if we are up on time and head that way.

We're kind of expecting to beat our schedule and end up with an extra day or a really short last day, which would not be a negative thing, as there seems to be a fair bit to explore in the black hills.

Good stuff mentioned already---Needles, Iron Mountain, Crazy Horse, Mount Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Custer State Park (be sure to do the wildlife loop). I would also suggest Spearfish Canyon Hwy and Vanocker Canyon Rd (Sturgis to Nemo). If you have time, take Hwy 44 east out of Sturgis and visit Badlands National Park. There is also the Minuteman Missile National Historic Site just off I-90 north of the park. Additionally, I have found that I prefer Hwy 85 north out of Cheyenne instead of I-25. Lots of open space and less traffic...

I attached the Black Hills ride map. They will be free on every corner once you get there but you may be able to use it to stich some rides together. From my previous experience, there are no bad roads in the Black Hills! Have fun!!!

Attachments

• 2017blackhillsmap.pdf
    632.5 KB · Views: 457
Us 550 north out of Durango to Ouray, aka 'The Million Dollar Highway.' It's a bit west of your current Colorado itinerary, but well worth it I hear.

Back