• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Just moved to Austin

Reaction score
Hello,

I just moved to Austin back in December from San Francisco, where I learned how to ride. I've been riding about 8 months now, and I've put just over 6000 miles on the 2000 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic that I picked up out in California.

I found this board while searching for good motorcycle roads in Austin. I was initially pretty disappointed with the roads around here, but thanks to this board, I've since discovered (and enjoyed) a number of routes recommended by people in the member's section. I was initially convinced that nothing could live up to the Bay area back roads, but after a few trips down Lime Creek Rd, I'm starting to change my mind. :)

I hope to continue to find and share excellent places to ride in Texas. Hopefully attend a few rides or rallies with you all as well. Glad to be here!

:welcome:

Just hang with us a bit and we will show you some more fine riding roads. :sun:

Welcome to Texas and to the site :wave:

Get our farther West... Past US 281. Lots of fun stuff!

Welcome to Austin. A few of us met tonight in north Austin. Check out the upcoming rides for Austin Bike Night and come join us.

Welcome! While I'm not Californian I did live in Walnut Creek for 10 years, so I know what you miss. Good to hear you are finding some twisties, and you've found this place which will make it all even better.

I hope you like pie though. This bunch is really zeroed in on pie.

Dave.

Welcome :welcome: I did high school in San Jose and learned to ride in the hills south of town. Lots of good riding here once you learn your way around.

Welcome :wave:

there's plenty of good riding around down there, just gotta get away from the metro mess :rider:

I was in SF a few months ago and found tons of great roads between the south bay and Pacifica. The only problem was that I didn't have bike with me.

Oh well, next year, perhaps! :)

Welcome!

There are quite a few other transplanted Californians that have signed up here.

Thanks, guys. I'm not a Californian either. In fact, I was only out there for a year and a half, where I moved from Dallas. It's a pretty special place, but the cost of living is absolutely insane. I'm happy to be back in Texas again. Now that I've figured out that the first line of every set of directions to good riding starts with "head west from town...", things are really looking up.

The good roads around here are just as fun to ride on, even if the view isn't quite as breathtaking. What I really miss, though, is the lane sharing. Nothing like moving to the front of the line at every red light and passing right through interstate traffic jams. I got stuck in the 35 death star trench for over an hour the other day and the temptation to split my way out of there was almost overwhelming. :)

Welcome!

Don't forget that tomorrow is a free movie over in Taylor!
dtk-box.jpg

Should be lots of the local reprobates, er, riders to meet. Click the pic for details, and please cross your fingers for the rain to get over with tonight!

There are some really nice roads heading east as well. One that comes to mind is to catch Park Road 1 in Bastrop. You'll think you are in another state as you wind through the lost pines on the twisties. Another nice ride through the country is FM 696 from Hwy 290 east of Elgin to Lexington.

Back