• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

K Trail Oklahoma

Reaction score
Good Day all,

was looking into the K Trail and i see some threads that say it's closed and others that say they rode it from Clayton to Mena end to end.

so what's the facts here anyone have some knowledge on the subject, tips and or lessons learned?

We rode it in July 2018 so I have no recent knowledge. I think @Downs may have more recent info, but the following was my impression then

MY understanding is the west entrance to K-Trail off 271 about 7 1/2 miles Southeast of Clayton is private. Not sure how far north it is private. We rode it last July, but we take Nine Pine Road about 2 mile SE of Clayton on 271 , go north about 2 1/2 miles to the Clayton Trail, east on the Clayton Trail to K-Trail and on into Mena. We have been that way 3 times and have never had a problem. Never have tried the west entrance. The Clayton Trail is definitely the hardest part of the ride, especially west to east. So take that for what it is worth.

I've heard they are excavating the west end to install wind turbines. I plan on going up there in January and poking around to find out current conditions. I rode it a couple of years ago and had a blast. There is so much riding around that area - paved and unpaved- that even if they screwed up the west end, you can get in tons of riding.

We rode it in July 2018 so I have no recent knowledge. I think @Downs may have more recent info, but the following was my impression then
Thanks that was a real help, looks like i'll look to the 9 pine as well.

any good digs for base in Clayton?

Clayton Lake State Park is actually pretty nice, if you wanna camp. I think it's $10/night. You also might consider staying on the other end, like in Mena, or Queen Wilimena State Park, and working your way back west.

Clayton Lake State Park is actually pretty nice, if you wanna camp. I think it's $10/night. You also might consider staying on the other end, like in Mena, or Queen Wilimena State Park, and working your way back west.
Were you ever able to make this trip? Curios how it was and if you have a .gpx for the route. I'll be riding it on a T7, thanks!

Funny you should post this. I've been up there about 6 times since then, and JUST rode through the area Friday. I have not ridden or researched the west end between Indian Highway and Clayton, but have ridden the other end a couple of times. I would suggest doing a loop through Ocatavia, Hanobia, up the Indian Highway to the K-trail, east through 3 Sticks, loop around to Zafra, west to Smithville (gas) and back to Octavia. You can camp at Billy Creek, or my fave: Winding Stair off the Talemina Scenic Byway. T7 should work just fine. Prepare for lots of rough road. I'll try and find some tracks.

Were you ever able to make this trip? Curios how it was and if you have a .gpx for the route. I'll be riding it on a T7, thanks!
I have the GPX from Clayton 9 Pine road to the Clayton Trail over to where it ties into the K-Trail, across the Indian Hwy, over to 3 Sticks and on to Mena if you want it. I have no idea if any part or all of it is still open. Also have GPX from Hugo to Clayton which is almost 60 miles and is pretty nice flowing forest road. Stop in Clayton for a late breakfast then on to Mena makes for a full day ride.

This is from Oct, 2017. Things may be different now. Then, west of Indian Hwy was only accessible from the Clayton trail. Really rugged. Some very steep. All rocky. East of Indian Hwy was water hole after water hole. Some with big surprises. It is adventure. East of Three Sticks is a welcome relief. It gets progressively easier as you go east. I was on a CRF450X. I would not want to take a big bike there.

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Clayton2Mena_via_ClaytonTrail_and_KTrail.gpx
    474.8 KB · Views: 166
@JQ1.0 We posted a minute apart. :roll:

Hmm, just looked at the GPX viewer after I put the track up. From the satellite view you can see a dozen or so wind turbines on the section west of Indian Hwy. Maybe closed but probably much more ridable if it is open.

Yep exact same track as I have. I've made the ride 3 times on DR650, one son on DR650 one son 2 up with his son on KLR, another fiend on KLR. Mud/water holes there every time. Clayton over to 3 Sticks definitely the hardest part. I think my boys made the ride a couple months ago but not sure where they started. I'll check with them tonight see if they have more recent info.

My brother and I got on at 3 sticks and rode west a few months ago. The western most part is definitely a wind farm now. We probably rode about less than 5 miles on the wind farm roads before we realized they were not connected to the K trail on the west side. We were just barely able to figure out how to get from the wind farm onto the last 5 miles down to nine pines road (see jq1.0 tracks). We had to drop off the side of the road and over a berm to get back on the trail- it was obviously not traveled and might be hard to follow now, not to mention unknown legality, although we didn't see any signs.

The roads through the wind farm were open and smooth and fun, and didn't really detract from the overall trail much. Unfortunately I don't know the next best place to get on from the west side, but I would think you can get onto the wind farm roads and then onto the K Trail headed east from there.

If I was doing it West to East, I'd still get on at nine pines road and see if I felt comfortable that I was still legal, etc. The trail is harder than it used to be, but not too long before it would spit you out on the smoother parts for a break, before getting back on the original trail again. If I didn't like the trail or didn't feel like I was in a place it was OK to be, I'd backtrack and find the next road that intersects the K Trail... so I'd have to budget some rerouting time.

Funny you should post this. I've been up there about 6 times since then, and JUST rode through the area Friday. I have not ridden or researched the west end between Indian Highway and Clayton, but have ridden the other end a couple of times. I would suggest doing a loop through Ocatavia, Hanobia, up the Indian Highway to the K-trail, east through 3 Sticks, loop around to Zafra, west to Smithville (gas) and back to Octavia. You can camp at Billy Creek, or my fave: Winding Stair off the Talemina Scenic Byway. T7 should work just fine. Prepare for lots of rough road. I'll try and find some tracks.
I think you’re right by running east to west and leaving a little scouting for whatever time is left remaining for this mystery part. Im hoping to get a decent gpx for as much as I can. Sounds like a great ride, thanks for the update!

Last edited:
This is from Oct, 2017. Things may be different now. Then, west of Indian Hwy was only accessible from the Clayton trail. Really rugged. Some very steep. All rocky. East of Indian Hwy was water hole after water hole. Some with big surprises. It is adventure. East of Three Sticks is a welcome relief. It gets progressively easier as you go east. I was on a CRF450X. I would not want to take a big bike there.

GPX viewer
Thank you for the update and .gpx! I’ll gladly return an updated version as soon as I get a chance to run it.

I have the GPX from Clayton 9 Pine road to the Clayton Trail over to where it ties into the K-Trail, across the Indian Hwy, over to 3 Sticks and on to Mena if you want it. I have no idea if any part or all of it is still open. Also have GPX from Hugo to Clayton which is almost 60 miles and is pretty nice flowing forest road. Stop in Clayton for a late breakfast then on to Mena makes for a full day ride.
If you wouldn’t mind sharing I’m trying to get as many routes for the area as possible and put together an updated track.

Back