• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Kawasaki H2 Project

I have a 76 Suzuki GT750 that I completely rebuilt in 2007. I put a TCE 3 into 1 exhaust on it and I am happy with it. It probably saved 25 pounds over the stock pipes and it pulls like a tractor in the normal rev ranges. The problem is that the pipe signs off at about 5800-6000 RPM's, not good for screaming performance, but the GT750 was never very fast anyway, and for the normal riding comditions, the pipe does its job.

My GT has been rebuilt from the frame up including a rebuilt and trued/balanced crank, new bore and pistons, etc. Other than the pipe, 1st overbore, and a Dyna S electronic ignition replacing the three sets of points, it is mechanically bone stock. I did put wider, flatter handlebars, shock 1" longer than stock, and did a damper rod modification to the front forks to make it handle a little better. It is a great riding bike that is dead reliable and fairly comfortable for what it is.

Here is a pic of it now:

IMG_0103.jpg

I guess I should have said horrible performance on an H2. 3-1's work fine on GT750 since they don't rev to begin with.

My H2 with Jemco's and Factory Pipe Product silencers starts making its real power at 6k.

I just sold a 75 H1 which was very near pristine condition and totally stock. It had the same characteristics. It was a dog until about 6K and then it pulled really hard to redline and it was bone stock with stock exhausts. I'm sure it would have been much more radical with chambers and bigger carbs, but it was just to nice of an original to modify, in my opinion.
I also have an 84 RZ350 with chambers and even with the power valves that are supposed to help the low end, it's still pretty weak right off idle to about 5K, then things start happening in a hurry.

Wayne

Hi I owned an h2 in 1973, very fast bike, very explosive performance. Stock ran quarter in about 12.2 at 106 mph if I remember correctly. Sightly modified it ran in high 10's at 124 mph. It would pull wheelies at 100 mph just punching it! Good luck with your restoration. You night want to upgrade swing arm bearings, if you plan on doing any high speed driving. It was one of the best handling bikes of it time.

I have a 76 Suzuki GT750 that I completely rebuilt in 2007. I put a TCE 3 into 1 exhaust on it and I am happy with it. It probably saved 25 pounds over the stock pipes and it pulls like a tractor in the normal rev ranges. The problem is that the pipe signs off at about 5800-6000 RPM's, not good for screaming performance, but the GT750 was never very fast anyway, and for the normal riding comditions, the pipe does its job.

My GT has been rebuilt from the frame up including a rebuilt and trued/balanced crank, new bore and pistons, etc. Other than the pipe, 1st overbore, and a Dyna S electronic ignition replacing the three sets of points, it is mechanically bone stock. I did put wider, flatter handlebars, shock 1" longer than stock, and did a damper rod modification to the front forks to make it handle a little better. It is a great riding bike that is dead reliable and fairly comfortable for what it is.

Here is a pic of it now:

IMG_0103.jpg

Oh man, I hope our paths cross someday, Wayne, so I can look at that bike. :clap:

I'm glad street 2 strokes are alive and well. I still have my 74 H1 that was my 16th birthday present! It's registered and runs well. I recently removed the Denco chambers just to have access to a center stand (the left one was dinged and the chrome had gone bad). It just doesn't have that tough raspy sound anymore...:yawn:

Here's my 84 RZ less than 14,000 original miles (we that's what the guy told me anyway)
84RZ35012-30-07020.jpg

This is the 75 H1 that I sold (gave away) last August. About as nice an unrestored speciman as there exists today that is not in a museum somewhere:
IMG_0269.jpg

I also have a 77 Kaw KH400 Triple that I traded to a guy for a 74 H2. We have not physically made the trade yet, but the KH has less than 2000 original miles and the 74 H2is really nice as well. Don't have good pics of either right now.

The RZ is the most fun bike to ride that I own. Awesome power for a 350!

Wayne

Wayne, more details and pics please! Very cool.

Maybe this will light a fire under my butt and I can get to work on my '75 GT380 and get it running again :(

Waynnnne! What's the status on your bike? Any updates or pictures?

You know, it was this thread that fimally got me off my butt and my '75 GT380 running, plated, and on the road :trust:

Scorch, I have been working on my Jeep and have not had time to do anything to the H2
I am trying to get the Jeep repaired in time to use it at my deer lease in October. Just about done, so it looks like I will make it.
It is almost too darn hot here to do anything anyway. By about noon every day, it is so hot I can't stand it, so I just quit and go inside.

Wayne

I had one of the Mach 3 500's also, can't remember if it was a '71 or '73 but it was blue also, brother had a Mach 4 750, that one was scary.

Glad to see you're bringing her back to life. :clap:

Aww, alright. Yeah, it is scorching outside. Most of my work is done in the early morning like you said, or after 8pm.

I just traded a really nice 77 KH400 for a 74 H2 (Mach IV) that is also very nice. Have not physically gotten it home yet but we have agreed on the trade. The KH400 has less than 2000 original miles and looks as good as the brown bike I showed up above.

Wayne

Scorch, I have been working on my Jeep and have not had time to do anything to the H2

Funny how easy it is to get sidetracked on this kind of stuff. My triple continues to sit there neglectedly as I put the final touches on my KZ.

Tim, I know what you mean. I shoot competetive archery and also am an avid bowhunter. Between the practice time and the tournaments, I struggle to get eveything done and something always gets set aside. My Jeep should have been done long ago. I just kept putting it off and now I am behind the eight ball because I need it by Oct 1 to get around on my deer lease. And just to think, I used to have a job that interfered with all my liesure time!

Wayne

I had one of the Mach 3 500's also, can't remember if it was a '71 or '73 but it was blue also, brother had a Mach 4 750, that one was scary.

Glad to see you're bringing her back to life. :clap:

Glad I'm not the only one with a fading memory! :doh:

Wayne, I wish you'd "given" the H1 to me. :trust:

If it was blue AND the factory color, it would be a 71. It should have had a drum front brake.

Yep, drum front brake it was. Got it used from the Beaumont Kawasaki dealer and nearly got myself killed a couple of times. Finally seized a piston and couldn't afford to fix it. :doh:

Wish I had some photos, but no joy.

Lee

I had a blue 71 with the drum brake. It was scary fast but needed an anchor to help the brakes. I sold it because the brakes were so bad.

In the early eighties, I had a chance
to buy a first year 500 triple in white
with a blue stripe. On my test ride, I
like you, realized it had "no brakes".
Oh, the worked OK, they just would
not "stop the bike". Drums all around.
Needless to say, I passed on it....

That would have been a 69 model. Don't know what kind of price he was asking, but, brakes or not, those bikes are in high demand and go for big bucks now. Not unusual at all to see a really nice one bring 10G's, and I think they sold for like $995 new.

Wayne

This bike was being sold under
"mechanic's lien" for the cost
of a CDI box ($300 I think). My
rule was and still is "If you can't
"ride it" do not "buy it". I could
not and did not. I wish now I had.
The brakes were "scary bad"!!

Back