• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Kawasaki Z650 lookie-loo

ntklr650

Matt6:34
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
M
Well due to family circumstances, the kids and I found ourselves with 2 hours to burn a few doors down from Denton Cycle Center while the Mrs got her hair done. The main purpose for the visit was to get some fuel line for the Mrs Honda Passport scooter but it was really just an excuse to go look at bikes for a friend. He has been looking at the Z900 and the Z650 for a fun around town bike and for day trips. He has always been on bag draggers and is looking for something a little more nimble.
Here are a few bikes from the visit that caught my eye.

IMG_20210304_173226_01.jpg
IMG_20210304_175525_01.jpg

When I was kicking around a small track bike, I was looking at the Z400 and possibly the Z650. I like the styling of both. The manager of the local Kawi shop, who is a track rider, told me to stay away from the Z650 as it was a terrible bike. He seemed to like the 400 and 900 above and below it, but not the 650. He didn't elaborate on what he meant by that.

That MT-09 triple motor is something special, imo. But I'm also partial to triples. The rest of the bike is eh, but that motor is nice.

I'm a huge triple fan, but between the Yamaha 890cc and Kawasaki 948cc, I'd take the kwacker no question. It feels more refined than my N1k's 1043cc and has that broad flat torque curve that make Triumph triples so immensely rideable. If only they would wrap a proper sport touring package over it, instead of the budget Z900 or retro RS's.

The latest Yami triple still has that jerky throttle like the very first Fz09 I test rode. The soft front end makes it feel even worse. I thought they supposedly fixed it by now, but I test rode an MT09 later last year and it still felt like how I remembered it... maybe just a tad less annoying. Then again, some riders might actually prefer that snappy throttle. I don't.

As for the Z650, with even more budget suspension and brakes, plus that parallel twin... if I'm a young buck in the market for one, I'd eat Ramen noodles for a few months and upgrade to the Z900 instead.

When I was kicking around a small track bike, I was looking at the Z400 and possibly the Z650. I like the styling of both. The manager of the local Kawi shop, who is a track rider, told me to stay away from the Z650 as it was a terrible bike. He seemed to like the 400 and 900 above and below it, but not the 650. He didn't elaborate on what he meant by that.

That MT-09 triple motor is something special, imo. But I'm also partial to triples. The rest of the bike is eh, but that motor is nice.
That's an interesting comment from the guy about the Z650. I bought one last June and love it. I've been a motorcycle guy since before 1970 and worked part time for many, many years at a local shop. The Z650 engine is a proven unit that has been around. It's the same engine that's the basis of the Werner engine used in the AMA Championship flat track bike awhile back. It's been the engine in both series of Versys 650's. The newer Z650 received quite a few updates in 2017...engine updates, improved FI, whole new frame/suspension, and a big weight loss. Mine weighs 403 pounds with no ABS.

I'm wondering if his assessment was based on ergonomics...but if so, the Z400 has even smaller ergos. This is the problem with these two bikes IMO. They are made for small riders IMO. I'm 6 foot, and I had to drop the footpegs about an inch, raise the saddle by spacing to get an inch, and dump that silly passenger saddle. I loved the bike when I rode it and was determined to get it to fit. I did, without that much work really. Surprisingly the handlebar height, sweep, and reach have been perfect.

The engine mods Kaw did to the 2017-on bolstered the torque. This is an engine you can lug. Kawasaki improved an already great bike with an all new, improved, lighter frame and better engine characteristics. I've gotta believe that guy's comment about the 650 has to do with sizing, because otherwise the bike is great. That shop I used to work at also carries Yamaha. I got to compare the MT-07, my 650, and the Z400...in fact I put the Z400 together out of the crate. I think some joker in the head offices of these manufactures thinks any bike under 800cc is made for newbies, beginners, or midgets. Even the MT-07 would not have been ideal on the sizing for me. The MT-09 was fine. Anyone thinking about the Z400 really needs to ride one to insure the ergonomics fit you. It is an awesome motor in a tiny bike. I think some of this comes from the fact that the Z650 and Z400 are basically the Ninja 400/650 versions without bodywork and with a conventional handlebar.

TNC, I appreciate your defense of your Z650. As far as I know, the 650 drivetrain is bulletproof, designed to have both torque and horsepower, the brakes work adequately, the suspension is fine, has predictable handling, and I don't have a problem with vibration. I can't say any of those things about my KLR. When I was younger, maybe 68, I was like most of TWT and wanted more bike. Now at 73 with short legs and less ambition. I want a bike I can sit on flat footed, not feel intimidated by its weight, not act stupid just because twisting the throttle is so enticing, and have some wind protection. My little Ninja 650 is the closest match to my current needs.

The latest Yami triple still has that jerky throttle like the very first Fz09 I test rode. The soft front end makes it feel even worse. I thought they supposedly fixed it by now, but I test rode an MT09 later last year and it still felt like how I remembered it... maybe just a tad less annoying. Then again, some riders might actually prefer that snappy throttle. I don't.
Yeah, I didn't want to rail on the bike, but I agree. The motor is nice, everything else on the bike is not. Needs a reflash, better suspension and better brakes to be a total package, imo. Or just buy a Speed Triple RS and get all of that right from the get go.

I live 12 miles down the road from Denton Cycle Center and bought my 690 from them. I love dropping by there and just wasting an hour window shopping. Good guys.

I came very close to buying an MT-09 or Tracer GT. Loved the bikes, and especially the motor, but in the end felt I was just too big for it. I owned a 09 Speed Triple back in that day (can't believe that was 12 years ago!) and it was a great and sexy bike in a color called blazing orange. In the end I decided it was more fun to look at it than to ride it for any distance so I sold it after 5 years.

Now y'all got me think I cruise on up there today. Going to be beautiful here.

TNC, I appreciate your defense of your Z650. As far as I know, the 650 drivetrain is bulletproof, designed to have both torque and horsepower, the brakes work adequately, the suspension is fine, has predictable handling, and I don't have a problem with vibration. I can't say any of those things about my KLR. When I was younger, maybe 68, I was like most of TWT and wanted more bike. Now at 73 with short legs and less ambition. I want a bike I can sit on flat footed, not feel intimidated by its weight, not act stupid just because twisting the throttle is so enticing, and have some wind protection. My little Ninja 650 is the closest match to my current needs.
Your observations about your Ninja 650 and mine about my Z650 are interesting when you look at historical perspective of motorcycles. Our two 650's have about the same horsepower as the fastest production motorcycle of 1972...the H2 Kawasaki 750 triple. The Z650 is lighter and has about the same 1/4 mile time and has a higher top speed. It's funny how we look back and consider what we have today.

Zephyr, I had a '72 H2, and there's no way I'd take it over my current Z650...LOL!...for obvious reasons. We are in such a good place when it comes to choices these days. Those who didn't get to experience "the good ol' days" may not appreciate how good they got it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed those days, but I sure like the improvements we currently have. Sometimes when I'm riding this Z650 down an open remote road doing about 70 mph, I don't even downshift and just crack the throttle wide open, and I'm doing 100 mph in a flash...and it all happens so smoothly. The handling is rock solid and smooth. I think back to how skittish my H2 was...and frankly downright scary at high speed.

You mention "my current needs". The truth is that most any quality manufacturer's bike these days from around 600cc and above outperforms any of the road burners of the past and does it with much better control and pleasure. I look fondly at my past bikes and riding experiences, but I really appreciate what we have today. Zephyr, I agree with you that we're not having to compromise much of anything with our 650's, and the same can be said of most of today's bikes for the appropriate application they fit. Luck us. :rider:

Nothing brought that point home more to me than my last year's experiment of buying a restored 71 Honda CB750 at auction. Back in the day I remembered it as a BEAST. When I got it I was pretty shocked at how brutal it was. It was heavy, slow, horrible suspension and it didn't stop well. Other than that it was great.

The nostalgia wore off after a year and I sold it. I'm glad I scratched the itch but I'm now fully committed to modern bikes. May even modern retro tribute bikes.

a restored 71 Honda CB750 at auction. Back in the day I remembered it as a BEAST. When I got it I was pretty shocked at how brutal it was. It was heavy, slow, horrible suspension and it didn't stop well. Other than that it was great.

My dad is often talking about how great motorcycles were back in the 70s and he even tries to talk me into buying one from time to time to fix up and ride. I remind him that there was a 55mph federal speed limit back then, no road car could stop from 55 in under 160 ft, and a Corvette had 40% less power than my Jeep. His docile shadow 750 will outperform most of those old bikes in every single category and do it reliably and in comfort.

I understand how we fondly misremember how great the good old days were. We haven't yet gotten to the point where motorcycles on the whole have lost their classic appeal, but we are near the sweet spot where we get modern improvements.

One of the things I love about my Triumph is that it has the maximum quantity of classic bike charm you can put in it without sacrificing modern performance, safety and comfort.

Last edited:
I had an 09 Ninja 650 and it was a good bike. Performance was on par with my older Ducati monsters. There was some vibes through the footpegs, but not bothersome enough to stop me from riding it all over the country. Actually that is the only bike I have ever owned that never left me stranded until I hit a deer with it. I'll say that was no fault of the bike. The newer Z and Ninja 650s seem to feel a little more compact. Reviewers complain about the engine vibrations, but I don't know if they are different from the older ones.

It's also pretty neat how manufacturers have come up with a way or two to scratch that old nostalgia itch. One such example is the retro Kawasaki 900's currently produced that are based on the Z900. Having owned a '73 original Z1 and ridden the new one that looks almost exactly like my root beer and orange version from back then, it's kind of the best of both worlds if you're into that. Not that much different from cars like the new generation Ford Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, etc.

One such example is the retro Kawasaki 900's currently produced that are based on the Z900. Having owned a '73 original Z1 and ridden the new one that looks almost exactly like my root beer and orange version from back then, it's kind of the best of both worlds if you're into that. Not that much different from cars like the new generation Ford Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, etc.

IMHO, looking the part is not quite enough, and the Z900RS, while I think it looks great, IMHO misses the mark just a bit. I wouldn't kick one out of my garage but I really prefer my air-cooled Bonneville. I agree BTW about these new Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers. They tap into the appeal of nostalgia due to appearance. But they really miss the point IMHO.

But the point is, there's nostalgia, which is one thing. Nostalgia in this case, to me, is kind of like, "I like it because it reminds me of something old". But there's something more than nostalgia that new motorcycles can tap into. There's something timeless about certain things that goes beyond appearance but is much more about some characteristics that give them personality or character making them beloved across all time. It's not just how it looks, or really how it feels, but about how it makes people feel about it. Nostalgia, to me, is about making you feel young. But there can be more to it than this.

Example among cars is when I first test drove a NA Miata, at the time my daily driver was a 1972 240Z. The Miata didn't look like a Z at all, but it totally captured a lot of what makes you love a 240Z. And the 240Z shared these characteristics with an MGB. My NB Miata was very close. It had the great characteristics of a 240Z but with 4 wheel disc brakes, fuel injection, a 5-speed, 100K mile between service kind of reliability, and a top that could go down.

There's a trick to designing a modern thing that captures the character of old things that made them great. I think Triumph did it just right with the 865cc EFI air cooled Bonnevilles. I think it's possible that Honda did it with the CB1100 redux. Royal Enfield seems to have hit the mark with their 650s. Kawasaki even did it with the W650/800. Genuine of course did this with a Stella, since it's basically unchanged from the original. And Harley has probably done a good job of this with many models even though they don't appeal to me. I think the Z900RS, Ducati Scrambler, Yamaha XSR700/900, etc. all seem more like modern bikes playing dress up as a retro, which taps into nostalgia for sure, but doesn't really do the trick of capturing the je ne sais quois that made the old ones great.

IMHO of course. I know nostalgia is super valuable. I was only a wee tot when these original motorcycles were made so nostalgia doesn't mean much to me. But I have a strong appreciation for the classic formula of great machines.

Well I guess I am partial to the FZ09 because I have one. It is not perfect but just about any sub $10K Japanese bike has flaws, usually suspension related. I enjoy working on my bikes so fixing suspension is fun to me. Stiffer fork springs, new cartridges, exhaust, comfort seat and a ZX10R rear shock transformed the FZ09 and still under $10K. That engine is so sweet!
smaller.jpg

Back