• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Keeping Austin Weird...

well, my take is this might be one of those pictures where you let the color show for the piano and leave the rest b&w. Unless this was film then never mind.:doh:

Film? :shrug: :scratch:

<hijack>On a serious note, I miss film. I screwed up more shots than ever came out good but each roll was kinda like Christmas when I got it back from the developer. "Ohhhh, what came out on this one?"</hijack>

well, my take is this might be one of those pictures where you let the color show for the piano and leave the rest b&w. Unless this was film then never mind.:doh:

No, it was digital and a LR conversion. I just think it's soft on focus and for sure, muted in B&W effect. But that's what you get when you shoot on the fly at 2:30 in the afternoon.

Yea, that funny plastic stuff with the little holes top and bottom.... You'd load it in the dark, shoot it, take it out in the dark and send it to someone who'd do much the same to it. :mrgreen:

Does anyone else think the shot is 'soft'? Using f/9.5 I'm just not feeling the love...

yes. when I blow up what's posted, it looks a little soft, especially for 9.5 and bright sun.

yes. when I blow up what's posted, it looks a little soft, especially for 9.5 and bright sun.

Give me a minute and I'll convert the original to full-size and provide a link to it as well.....

Here's the original for review. I'm thinking something in smugmug's compression is doing funny things or I don't have a setting correct...

Upon export from LR, I've got Sharpen For: set to "Screen" and "Standard". Upon export, I've got it set at 240dpi, full-size. I'm also viewing it on a 17" four year old Dell LCD flatscreen.

And on the smugmug side, it's the default settings for Sharpening to include:
Amount: Default: 0.200 (20%)
Radius: Default: 1.000
Threshold: Default: 0.0500
Sigma: Default: 1.000

When you hit the link, you may have to click on the picture with the little magnifying glass + to make it larger.....
http://m38a1.smugmug.com/photos/i-G4qDkRM/0/X3/i-G4qDkRM-O.jpg

Last edited:
The only thing I see as "soft" is the background buildings. If it were soft (in my humble opinion) the streamers on the pipe railing and blowing from the piano would be much less defined. I'm by no means a critic but me likey much. And I'm looking on a little 14" laptop screen with bug guts and spit-take residue.

:thumb:

Here's the original for review. I'm thinking something in smugmug's compression is doing funny things or I don't have a setting correct...

Upon export from LR, I've got Sharpen For: set to "Screen" and "Standard". Upon export, I've got it set at 240dpi, full-size. I'm also viewing it on a 17" four year old Dell LCD flatscreen.

And on the smugmug side, it's the default settings for Sharpening to include:
Amount: Default: 0.200 (20%)
Radius: Default: 1.000
Threshold: Default: 0.0500
Sigma: Default: 1.000

When you hit the link, you may have to click on the picture with the little magnifying glass + to make it larger.....
http://m38a1.smugmug.com/photos/i-G4qDkRM/0/X3/i-G4qDkRM-O.jpg

The original post image and the linked image look different when both are adjusted to the same size and put side by side in 2 different browser windows. The second one looks sharper to me.

The original post image and the linked image look different when both are adjusted to the same size and put side by side in 2 different browser windows. The second one looks sharper to me.

So would that point to smugmug compression routines as a possible culprit?

Great shot.

OT: I guess they don't give a crap about the instrument itself. These are very sensitive to moisture and temperature. I'll give them a month before they turn into glorified firewood.

Just a quick look.. I think it's smugmug.
We'll do some tests when I get back.
TexTom

Great shot.

OT: I guess they don't give a crap about the instrument itself. These are very sensitive to moisture and temperature. I'll give them a month before they turn into glorified firewood.

Thanks-

I read somewhere they 'weatherproof' them to withstand the elements and when the project is over, they'll be donated to local schools and programs. And we haven't had rain all month so they'll probably be fine....

No I believe I'll be skipping any visits to correctional facilities this weekend. Linear alg/diff eq exam in two hours. Packing, and then hitting the road :)

Back