• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Kermit Dunes

Reaction score
Any of you get a chance to ride Kemit before the owner closed it in November [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOpXitusvNI&t=51s"]David & Joey in Kermit - YouTube[/ame]. It was sold for oil exploration reasons.

The West Texas Duners still own a section of the dunes and there is more area in the rear west side that is owed by others that is open for riding. But the part that was sold was a big chunk of the bigger dunes.

There is another big section of dunes on the east side of the road from the main Kermit dunes but it's not open for riding.I went to Kermit in May and October this year. Riding dunes is amazing.

The trails section is fun on quads but kind of loose for bikes.The trails would be better after some of that rare west Texas rain or some time to be wind blown and packed down better.

I'm in contact with multiple guys in Kermit trying to keep in the loop on what is going on out there with the riding situation. It's still a little in limbo.

There's not a lot to do in West Texas, it's a shame to hear Kermit's sand dunes are no longer an option. I used to ride there in the 70's and never would have thought it might someday be off-limits.

Another option in that area (back in the 70's anyway) was on Ranch Rd 1233 between Penwell and Imperial. Not as big as the Kermit Dunes, but it was a nice option when the Kermit Dunes were crowded.
https://www.google.com/maps/@31.4867279,-102.6620412,1830m/data=!3m1!1e3

So sad. We used to go out 1-2 times a year and met some awesome folks.... let us know if they keep a portion open. Looks little Oklahoma is the only close option now. Little Sahara is nice but smaller.

There's not a lot to do in West Texas, it's a shame to hear Kermit's sand dunes are no longer an option. I used to ride there in the 70's and never would have thought it might someday be off-limits.

Another option in that area (back in the 70's anyway) was on Ranch Rd 1233 between Penwell and Imperial. Not as big as the Kermit Dunes, but it was a nice option when the Kermit Dunes were crowded.
https://www.google.com/maps/@31.4867279,-102.6620412,1830m/data=!3m1!1e3

I sent this info to one of the guys in that area to see what he knows about it.

Man bummer to hear it closed. I was actually looking to try and make a weekend trip there to ride. I need to scratch my dune itch. I get it a couple times a year.

I lived in Rexburg, ID for awhile and rode the St. Anthony dunes which are AMAZING. and have also ridden Pismo Dunes in CA.

Kermit update. We have friends out there and have ridden in October 2017 and 2018. There are three sand fracking plants digging in the dunes now. There is a lot of sand out there but with three operations digging it will take a toll eventually.

The official ride spot is gone but there are plenty of places to access the dunes. If you search for the west Texas duners you will find two pads on the west side of the dunes where you can park and ride.

Good information.... thx for letting us know. Well worth trip and it was always a good time.

Cool ... I love the blind drop offs. They will keep you on yours toes.

Kermit was on the radio today.....

Bad news for oil... might be good news for dune goes in the future.

I hate to see West Texas go boom and bust but there’s a terrible cycle that we will continue to go through.

Back