• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Kerrville Thunderstorm...

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Thunderstorm rolling over Kerrville, TX 10/30/2015 23:09hrs
First time trying one of these types of shots.
Thoughts?

i-kPdmDNB-XL.jpg

A bit dark (but I don't know diddly about photography).

Reminds me a bit of one I snapped back in May, when the rain finally slacked off enough for me to think about heading West, bound for Ensenada and the Baja500. Ran out of it just East of Jacksonville but they'd had a tornado go thru so there was a bit of dodging downed trees to do to get across town; fortunately, locals had whipped out chainsaws and cleared off enough limbs so traffic could get by, partly on and partly off the road.

Stopped to fuel up at the Shell station on 175 at the Gun Barrel City turnoff and this is what I saw to the West:

Attachments

• Toward Dallas, 25May15.JPG
    Toward Dallas, 25May15.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 295
I would like to see a bit more of the interesting part, the lighted area + stars, and a little less of the boring framing. Just me but I look at an Ansel Adams piece and most of the composition is interesting.

It could just be a little cropping but I know you are trying to keep that rule of thirds going.

Thx for the input so far.... Being the first time at one of these I really didn't know how to present a 'storm'. As for being dark, it was just after 11pm at night so you an see stars in the shot. And yeah, I was old school in the rule of thirds with the foreground elements! Hmmm.... maybe I'll lighten the sky up a bit and go tree trimming...

Just look at Ansel's shots for a minute. He is the guide I go by.

ok, V2.0. This was also under reasonably clear skies and an almost full moon too. That's why the cloud cover is so bright. Probably not ideal for shooting thunderhead shots?
i-rvsJDWC-XL.jpg

Just look at Ansel's shots for a minute. He is the guide I go by.

Wow. Nice stuff he had for "thunderstorms". The magnitude of this one over Kerrville just falls way short of what he shot. So here's my B&W conversion attempt.
i-C5mbmjr-XL.jpg

I like both, would have a hard time choosing. Do like it cropped like that, wish someone else would comment on the crop.

I like both, would have a hard time choosing. Do like it cropped like that, wish someone else would comment on the crop.

I def prefer the cropped/B&W version.... But that's just me.

Much better after cropping; there were just too much foreground (trees) in the original and that contributed to it being so dark. Also, cropping made the focal point much larger (as a percentage of the whole) and that makes it "pop."

My favorite is the version 2.0 in color. The pop of color is what makes it for me and that gets lost in the B&W.

+1 cropped B&W.

You gotta know when to third them, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away...

I also liked the B&W best. I've tried for many years to photograph lightning, sometimes get a decent shot now and then but usually end up with hundreds of duds (thanks to digital photography they can easily be deleted).

Going with the B&W seemed to give it more power, the color version was muted and dull to me. But then I'm an amateur. If you can get an actual bolt(s) of lightning color is still good.

I have so much to learn.

That's one thing I've always been good at, lightning pictures. Just takes lot of patience and a bit of stupidity to stand outside in a storm ! ! ! :eek2: :lol2:
By the way, I like your B&W best !

Last edited:
Back