• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Kevin’s 2022 wandering thread

So when can you not fix them anymore. Gravel Guy has over a 100k on a KLR650 with original clutch. Most liquid cooled machine should to 150k with good maintenance.
I just usually traded to get something I thought I couldn't live without :lol2:
I just say keep it fun in whatever you ride.
I bet his cost per mile is down to about 2 cents! Love it!

The other nice thing about big volume selling Japanese bikes/models are parts are not outrageously expensive and usually plentiful.

Looks like the Idaho tour is just going to be me, myself and I. The three of us don’t always get along😂. I will meet 4 of my buddies in Sturgis on August 7 for the duration of the second week.

July 28-31 will be the GS Giants rally in Dolores Colorado. After that I head to Idaho (August 1-5) doing about 100-300 mile days.

I am taking my fly fishing gear as I will spend quite a bit of time fly fishing at my camp spots. Heck if I find a camp I really like, I might spend two nights there!

I will be looking primarily at NFS and Hip Camp campsites.

Zippers lubed up

EDE257F1-4A7D-417C-8D38-65C251A40DFB.jpeg

Bike is packed, heading out around 4 in morning. Camping near Santa Fe. Then Dave and Keith are meeting me Saturday in Dolores CO. Head to Utah and Idaho Sunday morning.

Follow along

Zippers lubed up

View attachment 325956

Bike is packed, heading out around 4 in morning. Camping near Santa Fe. Then Dave and Keith are meeting me Saturday in Dolores CO. Head to Utah and Idaho Sunday morning.

Follow along

Well looks like that expencive brand of riding gear offers lube before..... Never mind.

God's speed to ya, Kevin.

We passed the Chief Joseph Ranch 7/15 if you're going that way. Looks like they may be shooting the series there now. Also found the best breakfast/lunch family owned/run cafe in Darby, the Montana Cafe. Stopped there on the way and back. Great food and low prices. Order a full stack (3) of their pancakes...... lol.... And to satisfy your sweet tooth, get the Monkey Bread French Toast!

God's speed to ya, Kevin.

We passed the Chief Joseph Ranch 7/15 if you're going that way. Looks like they may be shooting the series there now. Also found the best breakfast/lunch family owned/run cafe in Darby, the Montana Cafe. Stopped there on the way and back. Great food and low prices. Order a full stack (3) of their pancakes...... lol.... And to satisfy your sweet tooth, get the Monkey Bread French Toast!
There is a big fire nw of salmon, so I may have to scratch eastern Idaho.

I wanted to go across Skalkaho pass but they may get cancelled due to fire

Last edited:
Pretty magical day on my motorcycle. I am about 80 miles from camp. 75-85 degrees today, those big puffy white cotton ball clouds with that Colorado deep blue sky in the background.

I slept about 10 hours last night at camp. Temp was around 50, full belly and perfect temps. Made only possible by my Haven hammock.

I could not do 126 out of Los alamos due to mud.

Jemez canyon

D1F32EB7-8F39-4EF9-8B47-D5A56E4A5067.jpeg

Pretty magical day on my motorcycle. I am about 80 miles from camp. 75-85 degrees today, those big puffy white cotton ball clouds with that Colorado deep blue sky in the background.

I slept about 10 hours last night at camp. Temp was around 50, full belly and perfect temps. Made only possible by my Haven hammock.

There is a bunch of beemers here at the gs giants rally. Met a lot of folks.

32C052C0-AB8B-48D6-B74A-81FD9548E832.jpeg

7E4AB3AF-6797-42AD-8BBD-DC892BBF3F9B.jpeg

@WildBillTx and I got shut down trying to get from YellowPine to Burgdorf Hot Springs. We had to detour into McCall via some dirt road. I swear it was the most spectacular road of our trip, and it wasn't even on the IDBDR. Pretty easy too. There was even a 1250 GSA doing it!

@WildBillTx and I got shut down trying to get from YellowPine to Burgdorf Hot Springs. We had to detour into McCall via some dirt road. I swear it was the most spectacular road of our trip, and it wasn't even on the IDBDR. Pretty easy too. There was even a 1250 GSA doing it!

Lick creek. I got turned around by snow in July just north of the blue cabin couple years ago and had to turn around and take it myself. Not a bad detour

Camped at Washington lake Utah. No water in camp. I was going to take my Sawyer filter to the lake to get water. A guy in the campsite close to ours gave us 6 big bottles of water!

C066621A-0A49-49D3-86FD-D3DF3B4E1568.jpeg

From Moab to Price is just a blah blah , but we are still on our motorcycles 😎 we provisioned stay Walmart in Price. Hit some tasty dirt on way to Washington lake.

Next day, Keith left us for some things he had to work on so it is just whispering Dave and I. Rode around bear lake, hit interstate for about 45 miles from Lava Hot Springs to Blackfoot. Ate lunch at Costa Vida in Blackfoot.

Rode across the desert after craters of the moon park. Turned north after about 100 miles up through sun Valley to Stanley, very nice ride through the sawtooth mountains. Provisioned in Stanley arrived at campsite about 5:30. This was almost a 500 miles day. Gota hump it to get to the pretty stuff!

Stanley lake is one of my top 5 campsites of all time!

9F0EF832-DD7B-434C-B67C-BF49D53599CA.jpeg
F40234E6-014E-40EF-8CDF-310615A3F6B2.jpeg
39225DD5-9B37-41F1-B19D-90F8AAFFF254.jpeg
3DFAF972-DFB7-4748-A405-3ACD62F944FE.jpeg

funny story: Whispering Dave thought our camp was very remote and was concerned about grizzlies.

I told him we are not in Grizzly country, but even if we were when it is your time it is your time. I reminded him the Lord will protect him and give him peace.

Those wise words of mine were not very reassuring and Dave regretted not bringing his pistol. About an hour later Tommy and Zoe showed up, husband and wife. They camped with us and were both packing😂

The were both on KTM 500s doing the BDR. Great people! They were Whispering Dave’s trail angels with pistols LOL

CFF1DE7D-3B0E-4699-A1CC-E849833BD18E.jpeg

Beautiful country. Wish I was there instead of at work. As for bears, my usual 9mm might be a bit lacking, but I'd rather have it than nothing!

Back