• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Kevin’s fall 2020 ramblings

58 at night, 82 day.....I will feel like I might be at the “real” mountains [emoji23]
58⁰, that sounds like some pretty good sleeping weather. I will probably still have to "plug in" for my ac in my mc hauler Friday night down here.

Se of Lawton, perfect day

410255135cb96426c398b59f780dbae2.jpg

Stood up again, thank goodness 😉

Those little single serving butter buds from the restaurant would be nice.

Kevin
Were you southbound from Bowie about noon today? I saw a loaded down AT and thought it might be you.

Back in the late 1970s at certain times of the year there were hundreds of them on the walls of the buildings in Down town midlothian it looked like a scene from aracnafobia.
I suspect its the effects of the fire ants.

At those same times of the year (spring maybe?) they used to be a lot but definitely not "all over" the roads down towards the Brazos here. That was only... 20 or so years ago. The fire ants have really effected the ecosystem in these parts from what I can tell and have been told. While our wildlife population has generally flourished quail are getting scarcer each year it seems.

Dad says there were coveys everywhere down here when he was growing up and that the hunting was excellent. But you couldn't pay me to shoot one in this area now. His theory is the fire ants eat their young since they make their nests on the ground.

At those same times of the year (spring maybe?) they used to be a lot but definitely not "all over" the roads down towards the Brazos here. That was only... 20 or so years ago. The fire ants have really effected the ecosystem in these parts from what I can tell and have been told. While our wildlife population has generally flourished quail are getting scarcer each year it seems.

Dad says there were coveys everywhere down here when he was growing up and that the hunting was excellent. But you couldn't pay me to shoot one in this area now. His theory is the fire ants eat their young since they make their nests on the ground.
He is right. The quail were common here just south of Dallas 40 years ago. The other thing in this area is its hotter in general. Iv heard quail chick's peeping and followed the sound to large cracks in our clay soil and they are 2 ft below the surface. I had chickens and after the fire ants showed up when the first chicken hatches the fire ants hit the newly hacked eggs in such numbers the hen is driven off the nest leaving the rest of the eggs out in the cold. In the old days it was common to get 12-×20 chick's in. Clutch now 1-3.

I had chickens and after the fire ants showed up when the first chicken hatches the fire ants hit the newly hacked eggs in such numbers the hen is driven off the nest leaving the rest of the eggs out in the cold. In the old days it was common to get 12-×20 chick's in. Clutch now 1-3.

Indeed, when the wife was serious about raising chickens we had to hatch them inside. Our neighbor has more chickens than she knows what to do with so we got rid of ours but she hatches them in her garage too.

He is right. The quail were common here just south of Dallas 40 years ago. The other thing in this area is its hotter in general. Iv heard quail chick's peeping and followed the sound to large cracks in our clay soil and they are 2 ft below the surface. I had chickens and after the fire ants showed up when the first chicken hatches the fire ants hit the newly hacked eggs in such numbers the hen is driven off the nest leaving the rest of the eggs out in the cold. In the old days it was common to get 12-×20 chick's in. Clutch now 1-3.
Interesting, My grandpa's theory was the same same, involving drought and the young falling in the cracks. South central Oklahoma.

Friday September 25 camping at Inks lake State Park, I got the last camp sight[emoji41]

Last edited:
Back