• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Key West or Bust

Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Taylor
"Motodromomania: An extreme form of a psychological disorder associated with motorcycle touring, also known as two-wheel vagabond neurosis. It is classified in the catagory of impulse control disorders. Those diagnosed with this disorder have an abnormal impulse to travel by motorcycle; they often spend beyond their means and sacrifice lovers, jobs, and security in their lust for new two-wheel touring experiences. Motodromomaniacs feel more alive when traveling and no sooner return from a tour than they start planning their next tour." Dr Gregory Frazier from his book Motorcycle touring: everything you need to know

What to do when one has to take vacation and nobody else can? Go for a ride. :rider: Where can you go this time of year and minimize chance of getting stuck with bad weather? South and east. How far is it to Key West from my home? Approximately 1520 miles. :ponder: Why not? My plan is to try for an Iron Butt Bun Burner 1500. I always said I wouldn't do an Iron Butt ride unless it was on the way to somewhere I was heading anyway. So, I'll do it. I've got some folks lined up to watch the SPOT, just in case. Thanks guys. Once I get to Key West and my pace becomes much more relaxed I'll do some "from the road" updates. Big Red is prepped and ready to roll. I leave at O dark hundred tomorrow morning.

Spotwalla page is here.

KeyWestIB.jpg

Last edited:
The last 4 hours of your trip will be interesting in many ways. I would recommend daylight, both for the scenery and the road surface. It has been a long time ago when I drove from Hollywood, FL to Key West and back just because. The road surface was interesting because so much of it is over water and there are many ways they can open the "bridges" to boat traffic.

If I had it to do again, I'd find a cheap motel in Key West and stay overnight just to have a little time to see what's on the "big" island.

The last 4 hours of your trip will be interesting in many ways. I would recommend daylight, both for the scenery and the road surface. It has been a long time ago when I drove from Hollywood, FL to Key West and back just because. The road surface was interesting because so much of it is over water and there are many ways they can open the "bridges" to boat traffic.

If I had it to do again, I'd find a cheap motel in Key West and stay overnight just to have a little time to see what's on the "big" island.

I'm going to lay up in Ocala then finish the run down the keys in the daylight. So long as I get to Key West by around 6 that afternoon I'll get the Bun Burner done.

Key West along a similar route is also my winter trip plan after the holidays when i am out of thus torture boot (providing that I don't beak anything else.)

I don't do iron butt, though. I'm more of a sponge butt kind of rider. I'll be looking forward to your report and highlight some if the "must do" sites as well as the sites to skip.

Ummmmm, have you looked at the speed limits on the roads from the mainland down to Key West? There are many little townships and villages where the speed changes as much as 20 mph, and bobs up and down between 35 and 55. Very difficult to keep from getting a ticket when the sign that warns you that the speed limits will change it with the sign that informs you of said new speed limit. A good GPS saved me from tickets heading both ways a few years ago.

Having said that, have a great ride. Wave to my sister, bro-in-law and nephew on your way through Miami for me.

Yea, DO NOT SPEED ON THE BRIDGES! Those cops on the islands mean business and will ticket you for even the most minor amount over the limit.

Going round the bottom of Lake Okeechobee be prepared to clean off the bugs. But do not stop, the mosquitoes are the size of buzzards and can drain a human dry in 6.8 seconds.

Ummmmm, have you looked at the speed limits on the roads from the mainland down to Key West? There are many little townships and villages where the speed changes as much as 20 mph, and bobs up and down between 35 and 55. Very difficult to keep from getting a ticket when the sign that warns you that the speed limits will change it with the sign that informs you of said new speed limit. A good GPS saved me from tickets heading both ways a few years ago.

Having said that, have a great ride. Wave to my sister, bro-in-law and nephew on your way through Miami for me.

Thanks for the tip. I'll leave plenty of time for that leg. Mapping software says about 8 hours and I'm allowing 12. I'm pretty conscious of speed limits most of the time.

Oh, if you go eat at the Conch Republic Seafood Company (great food and a great view) watch the bar stools outside! I had the tip of my index finger almost chopped off by one there.

Conch fritters, conch salad and key lime pie, watch out, here comes Bruce. If you have a few extra minutes when you get into Marathon,(which is about half-way down the keys, take the bridge over boot key harbor, and look at all the cruisers (boaters) that Winter there. If you drive in the keys at night, be very careful and don't hit any of those tiny "keys" deer. The fine is unbelievably high. HB

Completed an IBA ride ,plus one failed attempt at a BBG1500 (27 hours... dang it!). Will attack that ride again in the spring....

Eat light, stay hydrated, ride at night when you are the freshest, don't dally at gas stops... splash and go.... stop and rest before you are TO TIRED to ride any longer. Yada Yada Yada.....

Ride safe and good luck... it's an experience!!!

Looks like he's about half way through Houston. Have a great ride Cbat!

Back