• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Key West or Bust

Did you stop in at the Cafe Risque? No wonder you are wore out! :mrgreen: Good luck, keep going. The ride should get a little more interesting from here on out. I10 across the panhandle of Florida is super boring and seems to take forever!!!

Safe journeys to you. Take time to smell the roses on the way back. My favorites in Florida this summer were the Space Center, Eglin AFB museum and the back roads though the nurserys in Southern Florida out of Florida City.

Any alligators crossing the road on your trip down to Key West?

3153663821_b5bef3c8dd.jpg

:)

Ride Safe,

RB

I made it, with a couple hours to spare.

154198_181717888507990_100000093410294_631195_5819102_n.jpg

It really nice and warm right now but the front is approaching, should be here soon. They are posting wind chill for tomorrow morning. The temps will be all the way down into the 50's. :lol2: But the wind will be gusting to 40, maybe. I'l hunker down tonight and try to do a better update. Good internet connection here at the B&B. :thumb:

Yep, Spot OK messages came in just fine. Saw you heading across the keys when I got home from church so I knew you were getting close.

WOW, good on ya , Bruce.:clap: Hey ,take a day off.
We're gonna talk about you on Thursday.;-):dude:
TexTom

Congratulations on the accomplishments!

Now...go eat some real Key Lime pie and listen to Jimmy Buffett.

RB

I'm looking forward to your report. What B&B are you staying at? There at Key West?

Staying at The Westwinds on Eaton St. About 4 blocks north of Duval and two blocks from Conch Republic. Very nice for the price. I'll do photos late

Last edited:
Here we go!

I was sort of awake already when the alarm went of at 0430, Saturday morning. The bike was loaded and ready to go so it was just a matter of getting dressed, grabbing a couple items from the kitchen and heading down the road. First stop was at the closest HEB for fuel top off and the all important receipt that verifies my start time of 0455 Central time. My target time to reach Key West would be 1755 Eastern; allowing for the change of time zone. Weather was warm with a pretty good SW breeze. Also patchy fog but light enough so that I did not need to slow down any. The first leg took me south to Luling where I would head east on IH10. The trip to Luling was done for insurance mileage; just in case the IBA's calculators come up with slightly different mileage than what I had. The direct route from Pflugerville was just over 1500 and I wanted to make sure. With the trip to Luling I should end up with around 1570. That should do. I ha d to stop again at the IH10 intersection to get another receipt to document the route and change in direction. Soon I was greeted by the morning sun.

01asunriseIH10.jpg

Some cool stuff out on the road. Mach 1 1969 I think.

02Mach1.jpg

This was a day to cover lots of miles. I needed to get to Ocala which would log 1070 miles on the one day. I chose to do that so if something happened and I didn't make Key West I would at least qualify for the Saddle Sore 1000. So, no tourism, just riding. Stop every once in a while for fuel, drink of water and a handful of trail mix. I also brought one of those huge Honey Crisp apples that I would split over a couple of stops. I had to remember to get fuel receipts each time and log mileage for each leg; Iron Butt rules.

I had a good audio book loaded into the Zumo gps so the mile clicked away pretty fast, at first. Soon I was at Lake Charles, LA.

04LakeCharlesLA.jpg

If you traveled east on IH10 you will recognize this series of bridges. Notice the water between the divided highway.

I managed a couple of videos. First, crossing the mighty Mississippi.

And the tunnel in downtown Mobile, AL.

I want to go back some time and see the Alabama. This time I could even get a good photo. Just this ghostly image.

06fuzzyship.jpg

By now it was pretty gloomy and getting cooler.

07gloomy.jpg

I rode east without incident except for on gps glitch. South of Lake City, FL the route exited from IH75 so I followed. Then I lost the route as it took off across country. Some how the programmed route had picked up off road routing properties. So, I went back to IH75 and reselected the route. I was off the route so she asked if I wanted to recalculate. I always make it ask for the recalculation so it doesn't automatically mess up what I have planned. This time the recalc worked for what I needed and the route was fixed. I only lost about 5 minutes messing with that. I arrived at the hotel in Ocala around 2300 and made a beeline for the Chili's next door. Only actual meal I ate that day. Some beef fajitas, checked in at the La Quinta, hot shower and crashed. No problem getting to sleep.

Finish the challenge

I was really whooped from the first day's ride. I actually felt a little loopy. I slept real well. A little too well. I slept right though my 0530 alarm. :doh: I woke up on my own at 0630, slapped myself a couple of times and got going. I wasn't worried since I still had 11 hours to make the approx. 8 hour trip to Key West. It was still cold, mid 40's, but there was no rain. In fact the skies were totally clear. Perfect.

08sunnyFL.jpg

I chose to take the route down the middle of the state on Hwy 27. Yeah there were more towns to slow me down, but I would rather travel that way if I have the time, and I had time. I was not disappointed. I rode the Turnpike for a while then paid the troll $1.25 and turned off onto the free road. Several small towns for the first 100 miles then open country with a town every 30 miles or so. Saw oranges...

09oranges.jpg

and sugar cane harvesting.

10caneburn.jpg

11cane.jpg

27 took me to 997 which goes south towards the Overseas Hwy and completely avoids the greater Miami mess. Also along this road and many tree farms and nurseries that supply tropical plants to Miami and who knows where else. Lots of scenery to look at and traffic was flowing along at around 60. Lots of Sunday drivers/riders out just cruising around.

I thought US 1 would be boring but it was quite enjoyable. I kept changing from overland through brush....

12overseashwy.jpg

Several towns such as Marathon....

13.jpg

and of course the bridges.

14sevenmilebridge.jpg

And lookey hear. This odometer reading made me smile a little bigger.

15mileage.jpg

The old bridge...

19.jpg

And finally the money shot; Key West, FL.

21southernmostpoint.jpg

I found my B&B with no trouble. I had been told when I made the reservation that I would be able to park in the driveway. That's a huge perk in Key West as there is almost no parking available except in the city garage. One of the reasons I chose this place. Bad new was that they planned on tearing up and replacing the driveway Monday morning. But the guy at the desk told me I could park on the front patio without me even having to ask. :thumb:

22Westwinds.jpg

My home for three nights...Westwinds. That's my room in the upper left corner.

23Westwinds.jpg

Looks nice after dark too.

26Westwindnight.jpg

On recommendation of the manager I walked a couple blocks over the Conch Republic for supper. I started with tempura conch with horseradish marmalade and finished with blackened catch of the day (mahi mahi) sandwich. Washed it all down with a couple of Key West Ales. :eat:

27Conch.jpg

28blackenedMahi.jpg

I got back to find my bike right where I left it. Always a good thing.

29HDnight.jpg

I'll wake up with the jackhammers in the morning and walk around this end of the island to see what I can see.

Yeah, 29 here in Austin this morning. Little cool on the commute in. Hope you don't freeze in your 62 degree icebox down there :lol2:

Lived in Key West for two years while I was stationed there. It was funny seeing people break out the heavy winter costs when it dipped below 50*.

If you are into nightlife, we use to always hit Ricks down on lower Dival. If you like adult entertainment, check out Red Garter. :thumb: <-- at least thats what I've heard. :angel:

Odd fact (assuming it has changed): Key West has never recorded a temperature above 100*, nor below 32*.

Lived in Key West for two years while I was stationed there. It was funny seeing people break out the heavy winter costs when it dipped below 50*.

Odd fact (assuming it has changed): Key West has never recorded a temperature above 100*, nor below 32*.

Navy? Yeah, I was noticing the folks from Canada walking around in shorts and tees. It really was pretty nice today when you could get out of the wind. Some clouds rolled in and with the 20+ winds it got pretty chilly. I had to put on the windbreaker but shorts were still just fine. Time to report on today's wandering.

Back