• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Kicked to the side of the road again by corporate America

Reaction score
First Name
Leif
I've lived in DFW for 20 years and have now suffered my 4th lay off. It really sucks because this was one of my favorite roles. I was managing a global team of field services techs and the collaboration team (Skype for Business and MS Teams). I was traveling about 40% and really enjoying getting to see the world. I worked for a 3rd party logistics company and that business experiences losing contracts at the end because when it goes up for RFP the customers tend to go with the lowest cost solution. It's quite normal for a 3PL to lose contracts on a yearly basis. They also have to be bring in new business. That didn't happen this year so we have that coupled with a new CIO that is focused exclusively on cost reductions so off with peoples heads!

I guess this break will give me a chance to get my 2016 Tuono sorted out. I developed a coolant leak and had to replace a crappy plastic manifold with a billet piece. To get to the part you have to pull the tank and front injector bank. I managed to break an injector when putting it back together. I got a new injector and buttoned the bike back up (these bikes are a **** to work on). It ran beautifully for 3 days and then it starting surging and throwing the equivalent of a check engine light. It only seems to do this at idle. I've got the cables now where I can read the ECU codes and figure it out.

If anyone has any leads for IT leadership roles it would be greatly appreciated if you could give me a heads up. I'm kind of a jack of all trades when it comes to IT. I have literally done just about everything you can do in IT including sales and marketing. I'm a very competent technical person and have almost always been hands on even when in management roles. Feel free to email me at leif.price@gmail.com

Thanks in advance!

Sorry to hear it and hope the search is a short one.

The weather is supposed to be pretty good next week and I'm thinking about a couple days in the hill country just meandering around ... I mean strategically travelling the central Texas area. Might be a good opportunity to look for employment. I think job hunting expenses are tax deductible ... just sayin'

Sorry to hear it and hope the search is a short one.

The weather is supposed to be pretty good next week and I'm thinking about a couple days in the hill country just meandering around ... I mean strategically travelling the central Texas area. Might be a good opportunity to look for employment. I think job hunting expenses are tax deductible ... just sayin'

See paragraph 2 about the bike. I'm hoping to work on it next week when it warms up a bit. Thanks for the idea though! Unfortunately... I only got a month and a half severance so I have to watch every penny.

I was blessed to do my entire career in IT but there are times I wish I had made a change while I still could.

I would file for unemployment benefits as soon as possible .You will be paid from day you were released. Even if you find a new job soon. Everything helps, and they may help find you another job. The longest I ever stayed with an employer during my 45 years of work was six years. Trust that it will all work out for good.
Samsung in Austin is always hiring. I did my time there. Applied Materials is a good place. Home Depot has a huge data center, then there is Dell Computers. . May try the Lottery commission also. Local city governments hire IT folks. I used to do IT mechanical and data center maintenance. Austin and I'm sure Dallas has many opportunities as well. Trust your abilities and believe the right door will be open. There are a lot of temp jobs in high tech you could do till the right one comes. Then a lot hire from temp to in house. Craft Corps company is in a lot of these plants. I like your wisdom of putting first things first.

See paragraph 2 about the bike. I'm hoping to work on it next week when it warms up a bit. Thanks for the idea though! Unfortunately... I only got a month and a half severance so I have to watch every penny.

Oh ... I don't think I know anyone with just one bike ... I guess it's possible ...

Oh ... I don't think I know anyone with just one bike ... I guess it's possible ...

I had 2 until my 07 Tuono had the chain let loose and take out the cases. I sold it as a project bike and my 08 KTM 530EXC supermoto to help fund the 2016 Tuono. I miss that KTM. The most fun you can have on two wheels on the street! The front tire really didn't like contacting pavement.... I think it was scared of the pavement. LOL

LOL ...

Something will open up.
The IT world is pretty volatile.

But ... once that lonely bike is fixed and you want to clear your head, lemme know.

I know a place that's a sanctuary. Helped me through my BS.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

It is never easy. Best of luck, IT is an expanding field.

Get that Italian running, bet she is fun!

Give www.freeman.com a look and see if there is anything in the Corporate, Digital Ventures, or Audio Visual divisions. Last I looked there were some IT related job postings up there but I don't know if any of them would be in your wheelhouse. As for the company, I'm probably a tad bit jaded as I have been there 20 years this year. It isn't without it's pain points for sure, but being a family owned company and feeling like I am more than just a number is a really nice feeling.

Now I will say that I am in the Audio Visual division, so other divisions might not feel the same way, but from what I have seen around where I work, if you contribute to bettering the company each and every day then you have a pretty darn stable job ahead of you.

I wish you a bunch of luck in your search, and if you have any questions about Freeman, please feel free to give me a shout.

Time to hang out a shingle and start consulting. Best thing I ever did. Do much work with Navision or Dynamics AX?

None at all.

Funny thing... the previous interim CIO (4 years in that interim role) has his own consulting company and one of his guys just contacted me about a quick 2-3 week deal in Houston to come up with a global telephony solution. Who knows... I may be going that direction.

Give www.freeman.com a look and see if there is anything in the Corporate, Digital Ventures, or Audio Visual divisions. Last I looked there were some IT related job postings up there but I don't know if any of them would be in your wheelhouse. As for the company, I'm probably a tad bit jaded as I have been there 20 years this year. It isn't without it's pain points for sure, but being a family owned company and feeling like I am more than just a number is a really nice feeling.

Now I will say that I am in the Audio Visual division, so other divisions might not feel the same way, but from what I have seen around where I work, if you contribute to bettering the company each and every day then you have a pretty darn stable job ahead of you.

I wish you a bunch of luck in your search, and if you have any questions about Freeman, please feel free to give me a shout.

I worked along site Freeman folks for the 2 years I was at the Gaylord Texan. All of them were good people! I'll check it out!

Here's something else to consider, of course there's another full-time job and there's hanging out your own shingle. But also consider becoming a contractor for a 3rd party shop. They'll farm you out to the highest bidder but I view being a contractor as the first step in me getting some insight into a prospective new employer and the employer gets a chance to try you out before offering a position.

Give it a shot and see if you like it. Can't hurt to make a couple of extra bucks. Just don't be afraid to charge for your services.

Charging for services is not even an issue. This consulting company does mostly Rhone projects. :rider:

Well... I spent Wed-Fri in Houston last week doing the contracting thing. It's a good group of people but I'm hitched with pulling off the impossible on the telephony side. Looks like I'll have about 3-4 weeks out of this gig. The pay is amazing and I wouldn't mind doing this full time other than the travel that is required and the cost of self funded health/life insurance. We'll see where it goes over time. It was a compliment that the former CIO of the company that I was laid off from had the confidence in me to tell his team to reach out to me for help on this project.

Glad you have the job. It gets addictive, both the money and the ability to schedule time off. Of course it is feast or famine and sometimes you stay up for nights on end. With the latest tax cuts the effective rate on self employed/pass-throughs is incredible. See if it offsets healthcare costs and the self employments tax. BTW, you may have a state tax liability if you work in certain states.

Glad you have the job. It gets addictive, both the money and the ability to schedule time off. Of course it is feast or famine and sometimes you stay up for nights on end. With the latest tax cuts the effective rate on self employed/pass-throughs is incredible. See if it offsets healthcare costs and the self employments tax. BTW, you may have a state tax liability if you work in certain states.

Thanks for the heads up!

Back