• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Kids and a gun...

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Thoughts?

1035658995_qsBCv-L.jpg

I like the photo itself. And every child should know how to shoot and do it safely.

Move the seat forward and get a soap box for the gunner. Practice , practice, practice.

I agree. He can't see a thing... :lol2:

Just imagine the grin if you gave him a full belt of ammo.

Reactions at their age are so much better than with older kids, and they are inclined to do as they're told. Might be on to something.

This was a July 4th parade/party shot I took. Tons of kids about their age crawled all over the jeep. I didn't ask for a thing or tell them anything other than "no buttons, horn or knobs". Totally candid shot of kids being kids without much adult intervention. I've got several like this that just worked well...

Another from that day....
923096773_TpX4u-L.jpg

My thought is that kids should never be alowed to play with guns.

what happens when they find one with no adults around?

I'm not saying they should never handle them, just not as a toy.

I'm going to disagree with this. I had toy guns as a kid and was trained to handle them responsibly at a young age. I had free access to our household firearms from the age of 12. Not once did I treat a real weapon as a toy as I was taught very thoroughly how to differentiate between the two. Education and training is key. I actually think children should be taught firearm safety and responsibility from a young age.

Pretty sharp! Can we see the color version? Only nitpicking would be the cutoff foot at the bottom, and the trees are somewhat distracting. Maybe a shallower DOF could fix that. Otherwise a great shot.

Edit: the two different expressions "confuse" the mood of the image, but if it wasn't posed there is not much you can do about that.

Not once did I treat a real weapon as a toy as I was taught very thoroughly how to differentiate between the two. Education and training is key. I actually think children should be taught firearm safety and responsibility from a young age.

Sorry, was not my intent to start a debate here. Squidward what you said here was what i had in mind with the last line in my post.

Sorry, was not my intent to start a debate here. Squidward what you said here was what i had in mind with the last line in my post.

You know, as I think of it, I'm pretty sure I see more news stories every year about someone being hurt or killed because a kid was unsupervised in a running car, and managed to get it into gear.

Pretty sharp! Can we see the color version? Only nitpicking would be the cutoff foot at the bottom, and the trees are somewhat distracting. Maybe a shallower DOF could fix that. Otherwise a great shot.

Edit: the two different expressions "confuse" the mood of the image, but if it wasn't posed there is not much you can do about that.

Sure, here's the color version. And yes, the missing foot bugs me too, but that's what I grabbed when I grabbed it. The trees are considerably more distracting in the B&W version IMO, but I tried to get them to stand out as a "backdrop" of sorts.

923079557_nDtdP-L.jpg

Sorry about that. I had just had a conversation with an anti-gun coworker before posting that.:doh:

Awesome pics, I’ll bet those kids talked about that for days.

LOL you got me on the thread title also: I clicked the link without seeing it was one of yours thinking “anti-gun drivel, I really shouldn’t click this…”; then I saw the pic and laughed. One rule in addition to "no buttons, horn or knobs" you need is: “keep your finger off the trigger until you have the target in your sights” :)

One rule in addition to "no buttons, horn or knobs" you need is: “keep your finger off the trigger until you have the target in your sights” :)
I think he'll have to stand on an ammo box to see the sights. :rofl:

Dr. Kill Joy to the white courtesy phone. Dr. Kill Joy to the white courtesy phone please.

Rat Patrol! re. kids and guns, society today is so different from us baby boomers growing up, in the 50s everything was shoot em up but with a good message, majority of kids today are programed otherwise through TV and video games, it's nice to see a couple of young boys facinated with a WW2 era army jeep, good pics.

Rat Patrol!

...WW2 era army jeep

Did someone mention Rat Patrol? I was fortunate enough to shoot Mr. Gary Raymond (aka: Jack Moffit) in 2001 at what was called a Long Range Desert Convention. Think of it as a fan club for the show much like the trekkies for Star Wars. Mr. Raymond climbed in the back of a friends WWII jeep and posed for a shot or two. Excuse the quality, this was 9 years ago from a scan I believe...

01lrdc10.JPG

Here's a 'net grab of him, second from the bottom.
ratpatrollcastII.bmp

As for WWII jeep, the one above is actually a Korean era 1/4 ton jeep. The model just prior to mine was the one that replaced the WWII jeep leaving mine as the third in line of what we've all come to know and love.

Thanks for sharing, Ive been on many a venture in the 49 willys with the flat head 4, I copy the Korea era. SZ.

Great picture. The kids are going to really enjoy reliving this moment years on down the line. Think I liked the color version more than the B/W. Thanks for sharing.

I was and my kids were raise with play weapons and loaded weapons all about. They and I were taught the difference. Was even taught when and when not to drive a car, truck or motorcycle. ;-) But, I think we've all done stupid things in a vehicle in our youth. And lived to tell about it.

Rat Patrol! re. kids and guns, society today is so different from us baby boomers growing up, in the 50s everything was shoot em up but with a good message, majority of kids today are programed otherwise through TV and video games, it's nice to see a couple of young boys facinated with a WW2 era army jeep, good pics.

[THREADJACK]

Oooh, RAT PATROL. Watched an episode with my kids the other night. Thank you, Netflix!

[/THREADJACK]

Back