• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Kids got a dirt bike...... Kinda....

ntklr650

Matt6:34
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
M
Well we finally got the kids a dirt bike. Kinda... It's going to need some work but it's a teaching opportunity just as much as anything. It's a fairly complete Suzuki DS80 from the late 70s I believe. I'll do some more research on it and post some more but this is a good place to start. We have 10 acres so plenty of room for the kids to ride. The best part of it all was it was delivered by a friend for free and the bike was $50.
IMG_20200216_182650728.jpg

Congrats!! That kid is in for a treat! Enjoy the times

Sent from my Moto Z2 using Tapatalk

So question on the restoration. Do I keep the oil system or ditch it and use mixed fuel?

So question on the restoration. Do I keep the oil system or ditch it and use mixed fuel?
I'd triple check the oil injection system but go ahead and use it if everything is working right.

It's so convenient, I say take advantage of it. I only had one bike with that (ke100) and it was pretty nice.

I'd triple check the oil injection system but go ahead and use it if everything is working right.

It's so convenient, I say take advantage of it. I only had one bike with that (ke100) and it was pretty nice.

Good thoughts, I'll check it out for sure before I make the decision to delete.

My daughter can't get over how cute it is she says. I'm just enjoying their enthusiasm. I'm just hoping that learning the clutch does not spoil it. I'm confident my son will enjoy the challenge but not so sure about my daughter.

My daughter can't get over how cute it is she says. I'm just enjoying their enthusiasm. I'm just hoping that learning the clutch does not spoil it. I'm confident my son will enjoy the challenge but not so sure about my daughter.
Take it slow. Msf course slow, lol!

I cannot stress enough how much better it is to have communicators when teaching riders than not having them. I just stand around with my helmet on while they are riding and I talk to them. I can also hear what the bike is doing so I know what is going on even if they don't. That helps diagnose issues they might be having. You don't need super expensive models or super long range. I just happened to have bought the SENA 20S for use on a long road trip with my daughter and the had them when I was training a few other riders. Sooooo much easier with the communicators!

That will keep him off the internet and iPhone. Fresh air riding a bike, what could be better.

I cannot stress enough how much better it is to have communicators when teaching riders than not having them. I just stand around with my helmet on while they are riding and I talk to them. I can also hear what the bike is doing so I know what is going on even if they don't. That helps diagnose issues they might be having. You don't need super expensive models or super long range. I just happened to have bought the SENA 20S for use on a long road trip with my daughter and the had them when I was training a few other riders. Sooooo much easier with the communicators!
This made teaching my daughter to ride much easier. Then she could follow me on rides or I'd follow her and point things out real time.

Back