• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Kind of new to riding

Both are excellent bikes, separated by a few thousand dollars. Lots of folks on this site ride each. In fact, at least a couple I can think of have owned both. Rod (Mr2mch) has owned a string of VStroms (mostly 650s, I believe) and spent about 3 years on a Super Tenere. He could probably give you a good head-to-head comparison.

The 2012 and newer 650 VStroms are better than the older style. But the old ones are great bikes just the same - I had a 2005. Reliable, nearly indestructible, good gas mileage, and they're just good go-anywhere-do-anything bikes. And that one has really low mileage for an '04. And as Mitch pointed out, you could probably ride that one for a year and resell it for about what you paid.

Bear in mind Kawasaki is announcing a couple of new bikes in November, possibly the replacement of the KLR (or the Versys X650!).

IMG_20171202_120818636.jpg

17' v strom 650 xt model was $8500 $10,600 out the door with additional extended engine warranty purchased.

Photo before the farkles began

I can't recommend the Versys 650 enough. I keep thinking about replacing mine with something younger, stronger, etc. But the Versys is still so darn fun! And capable, I've done a 5k mile ride and multiple 400+ mile days on it, no problems at all.

But, picking a bike is a personal decision with tons of factors: budget, ergos, brand and type, etc. So I guess I'd suggest buying something used as a test-fit. If it works, then either keep it or upgrade to a newer model. If it doesn't fit you like a glove, then switch. Overall, the 'mid-sized adventure' segment (650 to 1000cc) is perfect for me.

I have a 09 Versys for sale that I modified the suspension. It has the great street manners and will get down gravel roads way better than a stock Versys.

I can say that a stock 2009 Versys with Shinko 705 tires is okay on gravel roads, but I'm new to riding myself so I can't say if the few things I've experience were the bike or me. It has felt "loose" in the front more than once on gravel at about 20-25 mph.

If Multisurface Rider's Versys was for sale when I got mine, I would have considered it. Too bad I didn't see the add until about 6 months after I got my bike. My bike is getting me about 43 mpg using 87 octane. Wish I knew what people did to hit 50 or better.

I consistently get 50+mpg on my 2008 if I don't get too heavy on the throttle and keep it under 75 on the highway.

I can say that a stock 2009 Versys with Shinko 705 tires is okay on gravel roads, but I'm new to riding myself so I can't say if the few things I've experience were the bike or me. It has felt "loose" in the front more than once on gravel at about 20-25 mph.

I put some Shinko 805's on my daughter's NC700X with 17" wheels and all the sudden its a gravel machine. I couldn't believe the difference.

Back