• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Kiss French....

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
1129913274_uFcVR-L.jpg

Nikon FE w/Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 lens shooting Plus-X (ASA125) film.

C&C Welcome!

Interesting person. On some level I understand the B&W, but...
I suspect her tatoo would be more interesting in color.

If time had permitted, I think I would have tried composing where the sign was above her head compositionally, not behind it--maybe even a lower angle shot. The stuff in the bottom corners is kinda distracting, but I would have liked a little more of her torso showing. Maybe had her turn her left shoulder more towards you.

Course, all of this is coming from a guy that has maybe 2 good people shots out of a half a gazillion pics. :shrug:

Gary-
Oh no, I hear you loud and clear on the composition aspects..... I was really wishing I had her cross/fold her arms and then shot it. But I was smart enough to do the lower angle, but again, missed the crossed arms/sideways a bit more. Funny, but I'm still not comfortable asking folks if I can take their picture. So given that, it's still difficult for me.

Here's the other one...
1129863941_kw5Qf-L.jpg

she has a nice smile despite all the hardware. :mrgreen:

I think you have a very nice shot there. The only changes I can think of are purely based on preference, not technique.

I edited your photo below. Will be glad to delete this if you're not on board with me fiddling around with your stuff.

1. Since you intentionally used a lot of grain, a good way to compliment it is with a duo tone-style effect. I converted the pic to additive color mode and gave it a bit of an aged, sepia-ish look. It also brings out her tats a bit more.

2. I added back some of the detail you sometimes lose when adding grain. Note that her hair strands, necklaces, piercings, and the like now seem to stand out a bit more.

3. There was what appeared to be the rearview mirror of a bike in the background just off her right arm. I removed it, as it struck me as a bit of a distraction.

Overall, good subject and good composition. Kudos.

scottschicktimedit.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work Tim and heck no - I don't mind a bit. Your version has some 'pop' to it mine was missing.

As for 'adding grain' I didn't. It's film! Plus-X (ASA125) to be exact.

As for 'adding grain' I didn't. It's film! Plus-X (ASA125) to be exact.

Yeah, I missed that initially. My bad. :doh:

You guys and your camera film! Geeeez! Now repeat after me: "It's the 21st century. We don't record to tape, and we don't shoot to film."

LOL. Kidding! :lol2: Nice stuff. :thumb:

It also brings out her tats a bit more.
I can't be the only one who read that sentence wrong the first time. :rofl:

I don't have much to add except that you found a very interesting subject to shoot there. I like that she's smiling instead of trying to act hardcore. Kind of a nice contrast.

I also like what Tim did with the photo too, but I have nothing technical to add.

She is definately and interesting subject. I like the comp and am truly digging the B&W.

The only nit-pic that I have is dark shadow cast between her cheeks and lips.

I like the square crop too.

Thanks guys.... What caught my attention was her 'edgy' look against the stark white building background with the BMW Motorrad sign.

Shannon really was a delight to speak with. She rides an F800GS and likes to play with it in the dirt/off-road. I noticed her helmet also has a mount for a camera of some type so I might try to track her down to see some of her vids.

I just REALLY REALLY REALLY wish I would have had her cross her arms. :doh:

Well, if you come across her when she's on her Daytona 675 or F800GS you better watch out. If you want to hang with her you better be very good. She can really ride. And very bright. Very interesting young lady. I think Scott caught a very good picture of her.
Robert

I would have preferred more depth of field to get the sign in focus too. Interesting subject though. If you could have figured some way to get Japan represented it would be nearly complete. If she had been sitting on my bike and something Japanese then you would have complete representation. :-P

Back