• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Klim opinions

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Parkhill
Hi everyone. I was hoping there would be some folks who use Klim gear. I am waffling between buying the Carlsbad or the new Latitude.
Most of my riding is long distance on pavement (to get to the twisty parts)

Thoughts?

not sure which klim gear I have, but the jacket drives me nuts. there are slack adjustments on the arms that puts the buckle right in the crease of the elbow. Goretex runs super hot, so you wont catch me out in my klim gear over 80 degrees or so unless its pure street.

I have an older Badlands Pro jacket that I wear well into the upper 90's on the street. As for quality, I have that jacket that gets worn all the time and is 7-8 years old and still looks and works just like new. I have a pair of Klim dirt bike pants that are 15 years old and they too still look and work almost like new. Those are what surprise the heck out of me as dirt pants get the snot beat out of them.

Good stuff but awful high priced. That said, the badlands pro jacket is built like a tank. If I had to pick one to tumble in...that'd be the one. But, other companies are making some first rate gear that comes without the brand price premium.

well, what i am really attracted to is the goretex laminate part of the equation
The thought of not carrying rain gear is so appealing

I just wondered if anyone was wearing the Carlsbad or the Latitude and could offer an honest review

I bought a new Latitude set last fall. I really like it....this time of year. I have severe doubts about summertime riding in Texas with it. I bought it for fall/winter and long trips. And the whole no raingear was the driving force behind it. Not sure it's going to work for long trips, anything over 80-85 degrees is on the beginning edge of uncomfortable for me.
The pants run large. I wear a 36/32 and had to get a 34, the 36 made my butt look big. Actually more like I didn't have a butt because of all the extra room. I should have bought the 34S, the 34R's are a little long but workable.

I'm still wearing the Badlands jacket I bought about ten years ago. It's my one jacket to rule them all when paired with a LD Comfort base layer. The only time it isn't great is when a pressure suit is the proper choice but that's beyond rare for me. As a shell it's good from 15-115F but in the summer I open all the vents and expose the chest protector by pinning the collar back on each side.

I wear Latitude pants with it because they offered better ventilation than the Badlands pants at the time. I had to size up to fit MX boots and braces under them.

Have been wearing the same Klim Latitude jacket and pants for almost seven years now for long distance sport touring. Gore-tex was the game changer for me in riding gear. No more on-off-on-off decisions associated with dedicated rain gear (still trying to see my basically new Tourmaster Sentinel stuff, cheap, anyone?). It is all year gear for me. Winter time I wear Klim base layers (1.0 & 2.0) with an undershirt and run an electric vest for the really cold. I find the summer extreme temps are no problem as the Gore-tex seems to time release sweat thus allowing for a slower evaporation rate versus my mesh gear. The vents are plentiful with the pants thigh vents so large I have to put on sun screen to cover exposed flesh, lol.

I'm 6'1", 150lbs, 32"x34" and wear mediums. One gripe, I had to add extra velcro to the waste as there wasn't enough to cinch it snug to my liking.

Last edited:
I have had a pair of Latitude pants for @2 years now. I try to wear them when it's below 60 degrees out. They are bulletproof and for the most part, they do the job well. They have never leaked on me. I do wish that they had more vents so I could wear them when it's warmer. I'd buy them again if I had to.

I have the Badlands. Love it. I've ridden from 14* to 110*. When it's hot, I wear a heavy cotton shirt underneath the jacket and soak it with water every time I stop. That helps considerably.

I also have the Induction jacket for warm days when I'm puttin' around close to home.

I have the Badlands. Love it. I've ridden from 14* to 110*. When it's hot, I wear a heavy cotton shirt underneath the jacket and soak it with water every time I stop. That helps considerably.

I also have the Induction jacket for warm days when I'm puttin' around close to home.

That drenched shirt trick works wonders. If you haven't give the LD comfort baselayer a try though. It has a wiking layer under a thicker layer so it seems to wick moisture from ones skin and then absorb it. At least that's how I think it works to keep me cool in the summer.

In the summer that wicking stuff doesn't work for me. I played MSBL baseball (catcher) and worked outside construction. I moved to TX from Germany in August and the temperature literally doubled...and I was dying. Some locals suggested instead of wicking I wear cotton t-shirts. They get wet with sweat and stay wet...and at least for me continue to cool. The wicking stuff dried and didn't do much.

I have a couple Under Armor tshirts that I wear for motorcycle riding when the weather cools.

1673065644322.jpeg
I have had the Carlsbad since 2019. The pants run a size big. They are comfortable and the air vents are very useful in the summertime. I ride mostly pavement now and it’s my everyday gear.

Badlands Pro pants and jacket here, purchased new in March 2013. Still my go to gear regardless of temps. It's all hot if you are stopped. Once moving, I am usually comfortable with the vents open when it is hot and vents closed when it is cold. I use LD comfort pants and shirt. I LOVE the GoreTex. I also have the SIDI Adventure Rain boots with the GoreTex, bought at the same time. They too are my go to boots for all riding. All still rain proof. All crash tested... :flip: I thought it was expensive at the time, but given that I've been wearing it for 10 years and it is still fine, I think it was a very good investment. Of course, you have to be able to afford that upfront hit on cost.

My big off in AR in 2021 was in full badlands gear. I went down at a fair clip on a pretty rough gravel road and had a big impact on a rock. You couldn't find a scratch on me even though my insides got beaten up a fair bit. Not only that, the jacket is still in great shape and the pants are in 'pretty ok' shape. Would hate to know what I'd have looked like if I was in MX gear.

I use Klim Carlsbad gear for rain and cold weather. I have ridden all day in the rain at freeway speed with zero leaks. It is not the warmest gear but with a sweat shirt on top of a heated jacket liner, I am very comfortable down to 30 degrees. They work well for both street and off road. At about 85 degrees, I am ready to put on something cooler. In my case, a Klim induction mesh jacket.

Love my klim gear. Usually wait for a sale or buy it used on ebay. I've found gear that all lasts a long time. Gloves run small, buy one size larger.

Usually wait for a sale or buy it used on ebay.
About 4 years ago I got on Ebay, found a pair of Klim Mojave ITB pants, threw a max bid of $30.00 on them...and won. They were older year models but still had the tags/never worn. Craziness. I couldn't ride much the last couple years and they're in great shape...wore them today.

I have an even older pair of Mojaves and while the pant is still good, I wore through the leathers. Had those replaced with some canvas-stuff.

I don't have the patience to regularly search, but deals are out there.

I don't wear it myself, but Klim is the second most favorite gear among the Iron Butt Assoc folks. I first saw them at the 2012 IBA meet in Denver and they attracted a lot of attention at that time and interest has obviously improved over the years.

I don't wear it myself, but Klim is the second most favorite gear among the Iron Butt Assoc folks. I first saw them at the 2012 IBA meet in Denver and they attracted a lot of attention at that time and interest has obviously improved over the years.
What is number 1?

I have both Carlsbad and lattitude. Great gear. Carlsbad is lighter than the lattitude.

Back