• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Klr 650 rear brake light switch

Ron T

Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Thompson
I just noticed that my rear brake light switch is not plugged in but do not find where it plugs into. I have removed side cowling and seat and looked every where within the plug length and am at a loss. The female end is only about 8 to 10 inches long from the switch but I just don't see where it connects. Any suggestions??

Good day to you sir. I know its got nothing to do with your problem at hand, but I would like to know if you have got the 1st gen or 2nd gen klr. And if you've had any abnormal heating problems before?

Theuns

not quite sure, but it is a 2006 and I have had no heat problems

Thank you for the reply. I dont think that i have any problems, the bike just does things i am not used to. But we have a very warm summer here.

Have a blessed day

Yebo yes, nice bikes really. I came from work today, about a 5km drive, and heat gauge went up to 3/4. Never went that far. Stopped, stood for a 1min or so. Started bike again, temp normal, and stood there till I got home. I have a suspition its my thermostat.

I have an 01 gen 1, I'll run out in a bit and check it in the parking lot. Otherwise I have several maintenance manuals if I can find the box they are in at the house.

Went out and looked and the switch routes up the frame and behind the carb. It plugs in right behind the carb. The breakout from the main harness is on the left side of the bike at the carb location. If the tanks off it should be easy to see. (if it's there)
Sorry for the bad picture but it's all I could get without removing the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_20190110_102003507.jpg
    IMG_20190110_102003507.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 170
My KLR is a generation 1. 2007 and newer is gen 2

I have an '07...they're sort of a gen 1 +. Rumor is they made a few updates in the machinery but the plastics etc. are still of the Gen 1 nature. I think Gen 2 officially started with '08 KLR's. Whatever... you just can't kill these things.

I do agree, they are tough as nails. A couple of them running here in town but mostly 2nd gen.
I do prefer the 1st gen looks, but would like to have the 2nd gen brakes.
Tell me, is this forum of yours only for you guys, or is it open to anybody? By this I mean American folk?

Thanks a lot for the plug in information. I proceed to remove gas tank, cowl, seat etc and found the plug right behind the carb. Thanks again to responders on this post.

Back