• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KLR thread

Before the new format, was there a specific thread area for KLRs? A friend has one and asked a question & I thought I was going to find it easily, but no luck. The search function for KLR draws an OPPS, I don't like you, no results......

If someone knows where it is can you point it out?

Thanks

Anyone familiar with a "overfilling filling the tank" issue with KLRs? I believe it has something to do with emissions and vacuum lines. Here's the situation:

I rode the new-to-me 2011 bike ~150 miles in the hill country on a great organized dual sport ride. The bike performed well (except for extreme vibration, but that is another story). After finishing the bulk of the ride, I gassed up in Bandera and rode back to San Antonio. I believe the station was a Valero and I used the 93 octane option. I likely had about quarter half tank when pulling into Valero and I filled it to the tip top. This was my first fill-up since purchasing the bike a week before.

As soon as I pulled out of the gas station and got back up over >30 mph, the engine began to 'lurch' forward back and forth. It does this at all gears, and normally at >3,000 RPMs and the throttle usually between the open to 1/2 position. I thought bad gas for a moment, and that it would go away, but it has not since then ~6 weeks ago. I can't imagine a carb jetting issue since it worked so well the first ~150 miles.

I found an older thread on a KLR forum about 'vacuum' and 'vent lines' becoming clogged and a person saying "Oh, the overfilling issue on the KLR... that's notorious". However, I am not sure how to check for this or correct it if this is the issue. I sure would like an easy fix before opening up the carburetor, and it seems too coincidental since it started immediately after my first fillup.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

JQ1.0

Forum Supporter
Anyone familiar with a "overfilling filling the tank" issue with KLRs? I believe it has something to do with emissions and vacuum lines. Here's the situation:

I rode the new-to-me 2011 bike ~150 miles in the hill country on a great organized dual sport ride. The bike performed well (except for extreme vibration, but that is another story). After finishing the bulk of the ride, I gassed up in Bandera and rode back to San Antonio. I believe the station was a Valero and I used the 93 octane option. I likely had about quarter half tank when pulling into Valero and I filled it to the tip top. This was my first fill-up since purchasing the bike a week before.

As soon as I pulled out of the gas station and got back up over >30 mph, the engine began to 'lurch' forward back and forth. It does this at all gears, and normally at >3,000 RPMs and the throttle usually between the open to 1/2 position. I thought bad gas for a moment, and that it would go away, but it has not since then ~6 weeks ago. I can't imagine a carb jetting issue since it worked so well the first ~150 miles.

I found an older thread on a KLR forum about 'vacuum' and 'vent lines' becoming clogged and a person saying "Oh, the overfilling issue on the KLR... that's notorious". However, I am not sure how to check for this or correct it if this is the issue. I sure would like an easy fix before opening up the carburetor, and it seems too coincidental since it started immediately after my first fillup.

I'm not familiar withn the KLR specifically, but all gas tanks have to vent and most vent in the gas cap. Try loosening the cap a bit and ride a bit to see if that could be the problem. I have had the same issues a couple times and it was the cap not venting.

I have an a 2011 KLR if it is a non CAL model than it will only have one vent line at the bottom of the tank on top at the junction with the seat it vents the cap so if it runs with the cap open then you have your answer also there is two fuel filter one at the petcock in side the tank and a very small one in the fuel hose at the carb junction so if those filters are still there probably is nothing in your carb, most people find them and throw the small ones away

Aaron

I ran the bike for ~5 miles at different speeds (WITH GAS CAP OPEN) and it seemed to help tremendously. It felt like the surging / hesitation was ~ 80-90% gone. I then closed the gas cap and the surging / hesitation was still 80%-90% gone. It must have "opened up" some gas line that may have been partially clogged. Thank you, terrific advice!

I still want to take a look at the vacuum tubes and fuel filters and see if there is more that I can do. Thanks again!

I've had a similar issue with a locking gas cap when the vent got stuck closed
This was on an ims tank
check your vent that runs from the top of your tank down to the front side of your seat and drains out from there.