• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KLR thread

julimike54

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Hayden
Before the new format, was there a specific thread area for KLRs? A friend has one and asked a question & I thought I was going to find it easily, but no luck. The search function for KLR draws an OPPS, I don't like you, no results......

If someone knows where it is can you point it out?

Thanks

That's the one I was thinking of, but doesn't seem to have what I wanted. But it will take a while to peruse....

Thank you

Who, me? Asked on the thread about clutch cable tips or tricks, if that was meant for me.

Anyone familiar with a "overfilling filling the tank" issue with KLRs? I believe it has something to do with emissions and vacuum lines. Here's the situation:

I rode the new-to-me 2011 bike ~150 miles in the hill country on a great organized dual sport ride. The bike performed well (except for extreme vibration, but that is another story). After finishing the bulk of the ride, I gassed up in Bandera and rode back to San Antonio. I believe the station was a Valero and I used the 93 octane option. I likely had about quarter half tank when pulling into Valero and I filled it to the tip top. This was my first fill-up since purchasing the bike a week before.

As soon as I pulled out of the gas station and got back up over >30 mph, the engine began to 'lurch' forward back and forth. It does this at all gears, and normally at >3,000 RPMs and the throttle usually between the open to 1/2 position. I thought bad gas for a moment, and that it would go away, but it has not since then ~6 weeks ago. I can't imagine a carb jetting issue since it worked so well the first ~150 miles.

I found an older thread on a KLR forum about 'vacuum' and 'vent lines' becoming clogged and a person saying "Oh, the overfilling issue on the KLR... that's notorious". However, I am not sure how to check for this or correct it if this is the issue. I sure would like an easy fix before opening up the carburetor, and it seems too coincidental since it started immediately after my first fillup.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone familiar with a "overfilling filling the tank" issue with KLRs? I believe it has something to do with emissions and vacuum lines. Here's the situation:

I rode the new-to-me 2011 bike ~150 miles in the hill country on a great organized dual sport ride. The bike performed well (except for extreme vibration, but that is another story). After finishing the bulk of the ride, I gassed up in Bandera and rode back to San Antonio. I believe the station was a Valero and I used the 93 octane option. I likely had about quarter half tank when pulling into Valero and I filled it to the tip top. This was my first fill-up since purchasing the bike a week before.

As soon as I pulled out of the gas station and got back up over >30 mph, the engine began to 'lurch' forward back and forth. It does this at all gears, and normally at >3,000 RPMs and the throttle usually between the open to 1/2 position. I thought bad gas for a moment, and that it would go away, but it has not since then ~6 weeks ago. I can't imagine a carb jetting issue since it worked so well the first ~150 miles.

I found an older thread on a KLR forum about 'vacuum' and 'vent lines' becoming clogged and a person saying "Oh, the overfilling issue on the KLR... that's notorious". However, I am not sure how to check for this or correct it if this is the issue. I sure would like an easy fix before opening up the carburetor, and it seems too coincidental since it started immediately after my first fillup.

I'm not familiar withn the KLR specifically, but all gas tanks have to vent and most vent in the gas cap. Try loosening the cap a bit and ride a bit to see if that could be the problem. I have had the same issues a couple times and it was the cap not venting.

Excellent suggestion. I will open the cap and ride around later today when I am home. I will report back.

I have an a 2011 KLR if it is a non CAL model than it will only have one vent line at the bottom of the tank on top at the junction with the seat it vents the cap so if it runs with the cap open then you have your answer also there is two fuel filter one at the petcock in side the tank and a very small one in the fuel hose at the carb junction so if those filters are still there probably is nothing in your carb, most people find them and throw the small ones away

Aaron

I ran the bike for ~5 miles at different speeds (WITH GAS CAP OPEN) and it seemed to help tremendously. It felt like the surging / hesitation was ~ 80-90% gone. I then closed the gas cap and the surging / hesitation was still 80%-90% gone. It must have "opened up" some gas line that may have been partially clogged. Thank you, terrific advice!

I still want to take a look at the vacuum tubes and fuel filters and see if there is more that I can do. Thanks again!

I've had a similar issue with a locking gas cap when the vent got stuck closed
This was on an ims tank
check your vent that runs from the top of your tank down to the front side of your seat and drains out from there.

You may have some water in your tank too and you disturb it when you got fuel ,if your not using any additive you need to because on the ethanol being added to fuel.

Aaron

I ran the bike for ~5 miles at different speeds (WITH GAS CAP OPEN) and it seemed to help tremendously. It felt like the surging / hesitation was ~ 80-90% gone. I then closed the gas cap and the surging / hesitation was still 80%-90% gone. It must have "opened up" some gas line that may have been partially clogged. Thank you, terrific advice!

The bike began surging forward and backward again today. I opened up the gas cap and the surging continued. Back to the drawing board....

I have not removed the tank and looked for the vacuum lines or the previously mention filters but this is something I need to do. As crazy as it seems, I would to also drain the tank and flush with ethanol-free gas that has decent octane, then run with the ethanol-free gas to see if I notice any differences. If the previous gas had been sitting a while and there was water trapped in the system, I assume this would give similar symptoms.

Next time you're at a gas station and have time, watch how often the high octane pump gets used. Then ponder how old that gas has to be. It ain't worth it.

The bike began surging forward and backward again today. I opened up the gas cap and the surging continued. Back to the drawing board....

I have not removed the tank and looked for the vacuum lines or the previously mention filters but this is something I need to do. As crazy as it seems, I would to also drain the tank and flush with ethanol-free gas that has decent octane, then run with the ethanol-free gas to see if I notice any differences. If the previous gas had been sitting a while and there was water trapped in the system, I assume this would give similar symptoms.

I am going to say this the gas lately has rely been bad with the added ethanal if it sets more than a few day, both of my bike are getting terrible mileage more so than just my heavy wrist that being said my KLR's did do the pulsing thing you are talking about my fix was to start with run better fuel (Exxon ,chevron, shell from a high use station) KLR are known to be lean in the middle i have back the fuel screw out 1 round and .0030 sim under needle, stock main and pull the snorkel it runs cleaner and good up to about 9000 FT. if you go to the mountains.
I no you said you use staybil but i stopped, was have running issues with everything i used it in, started using startron enzyme have not had any more problems could just be a combination of everything i have done.

Aaron

Back