• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KLR650 Gravity feed petcock mod and bedliner repaint

Reaction score
First Name
Nadeem
Last Name
Azhar
My 2006 KLR650 was hesitating at 4000rpm or higher when ambient temps were 100* or over. Found out, the vacuum tube going from carb to petcock was getting soft in the heat and collapsing cutting off vacuum and eventually fuel.
Got a gravity feed petcock from EagleMike which came with vacuum block off hose all for around $35, problem solved!
While I had everything off, I did this:

Glad you like it, when are you going to Yankee's? Been a while since I made that run now that John doesn't have a bike.

I haven't been to Yankee's either in quite a while. I mostly have been riding my dual sport and I don't seem to get the Yankee's urge when I'm on that bike. Once I get on that bike, I don't want to stop :lol2:

I was wondering what kind of bed liner you used? Where you got it and how many cans did it take to do the whole bike. Does it adhere well to plastic?

I like the flat black look. Painted my Vulcan 750 rattle can flat black. Thinking I would like to do the same with my DR650. I'm also thinking bed liner would give the flat black look with extra toughness.

Jerry

I used Duplicolor TR250 from Orielly Auto Parts. The first can that I had from years ago got the fuel tank, and racks done, but the newer can's went fast. In total 4.5 cans, I think they don't put as much in newer cans anymore.

Thanks for the info Solorider.

I have used Krylon Fusion paint for plastic with good results in the past--planned to use that on the plastic parts, but if the bed liner sticks to plastic, heck use that for the whole bike.

We still want to see the final result -with light- . . .

Just took some hirez pics but looks like Smugmug is having trouble coping with it's popularity! Will upload soon as Smugmug is back online.

We still want to see the final result -with light- . . .

Here is the bike after painting and in light:
P4200001-L.jpg

The little pipe like thing on mounted on the engine guard is a hand pump, instead of the slime, takes no space, is quiet and works well!

Note the tool tube is painted in bed liner too behind the front wheel.

Now from the front, (it was early when I took the pic and my hands were shaky for some reason, but hey we had light!):
P4200002-L.jpg

TP, notice the dakar sticker still on there under the paint. It's not out there as before, but still looks good.

I painted the racks too but the side cases are still metallic/silver colored that matches the frame. You can make out the side cases in the background.

And finally, tada...
P4200003-copy-L.jpg

It turned out great.
Does the Duplicolor have a textured, rubbery feel like some spray-in bedliner materials?
And, did you sand the decals off of the tank and side fairings before applying it? It looks like the decals might show through if you didn't.

Paul

Thanks! it's textured but not rubbery just gives you more friction.
I did sand the decals but I didn't have a working sander so I just did it by hand and the decals on the fuel tank are still there, I was able to peel them off the plastics.
They are not showing through yet, they may over time but I have plenty of duplicolor :lol2:
It turned out great.
Does the Duplicolor have a textured, rubbery feel like some spray-in bedliner materials?
And, did you sand the decals off of the tank and side fairings before applying it? It looks like the decals might show through if you didn't.

Paul

Thanks, I rode it today for a few hours and with that vacuum driven petcock gone it just wants to go, was enjoying it at 75-80mph today through the forest. I think the stupid vacuum wasn't allowing proper fuel flow at high rpm even when it wasn't hesitating!
Looks good!

Now that I can go 75-80MPH for long durations, I have to do something of air turbulence to the upper body/head and the wind noise. I've heard just removing the windshield helps, so I'll try that first. It gets bad at 80 if you have the slightest headwind!

:rider:

Now that I can go 75-80MPH for long durations, I have to do something of air turbulence to the upper body/head and the wind noise. I've heard just removing the windshield helps, so I'll try that first. It gets bad at 80 if you have the slightest headwind!

On my Vulcan 750 I use an adjustable 15 inch. Just slightly more than a bug shield. Keeps the wind off my chest so I don't get beat to pieces.

Sent via VZN Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

What brand is it? Maybe they make something they make something that fits a KLR.
On my Vulcan 750 I use an adjustable 15 inch. Just slightly more than a bug shield. Keeps the wind off my chest so I don't get beat to pieces.

What brand is it? Maybe they make something they make something that fits a KLR.

National cycle. Its for a 7" round cruiser type, but if your handy, its just plastic that cuts.

The solution is sitting in your garage...

From mobile

I do like working on the bikes but not that much! :lol2:
I think I'm going to remove the windshield and see, I think that should fix the buffeting/noise with clean air.

And I just buttoned it all up with liquid gold... I mean Loctite!

The solution is sitting in your garage...

From mobile

Back