• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KLR650 Thread

Great video and great riding. Looks like you would need a dinner plate under your kick stand to park it.

Thanks guys, lots more to edit.
Zephyr, the kickstand is always optional in the dunes :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 166
I hate sand, the feeling of never ever having the front planted sux. :D It's also rather hard on an old, beat up body. Think I'd rather be on a CRF250 than a KLR, personally, if I had to do it. Good job, though, with those heavy weights!!!!

I hate sand, the feeling of never ever having the front planted sux. :D It's also rather hard on an old, beat up body. Think I'd rather be on a CRF250 than a KLR, personally, if I had to do it. Good job, though, with those heavy weights!!!!

Thanks.
The front end is easily planted with a weight shift. As you can see I mostly ride sitting down to shift the weight on the 460 lb KLR. When I pick up the pace I usually stand for a quicker shift.
A CRF 450 is my choice for sand, however a CRF wouldn't have handled the ride from Austin to Kermit then down to Big Bend for the Desert Challenge where the KLR really shines.

Didn't have quite enough time once again at the Dunes as the Desert Challenge was waiting for us. We'll be doing a weekend ride to Kermit in the near future around summer when the weather is warmer and nicer.

There was mention of some special tools required to perform the redo on the doo, would you what those tools consist of ? When I hear that "special tool" stuff I start thinking in terms of fabricate it yourself. Thanks for your input, keep the shiny side up, stay light on the bars...

A custom wrench and flywheel puller. I have them.

Parts? A doo, torsion spring (from EMike), 2 side cover gaskets. Usually change the oil too. Not a big job.

Last four I've seen had either a broken spring (3) or a broken Doo (1 Gen I).
They were all still running, for the time being :(

Very easy peace of mind type Mod.

On another note: a few have been applying a new MOD and they called it the SAR mod :)

More air hits the motor and there's a noticeable cooling effect going on.
Front fender modded into 3 peices with an upper and a lower, with the lower on Eagle Mikes fork brace.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
KLR-Plunk :shock:,

Just attempted to go-out fer a ride, but No-Go... I know it's baaatttrey time. I would value ya'lls opinions of The-Best-Battery-Value available? Thx :clap:

An old thread.

7.5 years and 55k miles on an Oddessey battery and still going strong. Have an 11 year old one in my BMW.

I heard a lot of good things about the Oddessey. I chose the Shorai for it's reliability and weight savings. Not sure if it will last as long or longer than the Oddessey.

Early Shorai's were not reliable when they 1st came out. Weight savings on a KLR? :-P

The original recommendations on the Shorai I got were from riders that have used them for two to three years without the charger, so far mines near a year old without a charger and gets a first try strat every time, esp since the winter before last it got down to 17 and had no issues.
And since I knew about some of the Oddessey battery and charger issues from the past I decided to try the Shorai, since quite a few KLR riders had a few years with no issues. And it weighed in at 2.8 lbs compared to my stock at 11 plus lbs. that along with near 7 lbs from the slip on and another four with the fender elimination the rear tracks a bit better.

After all, what good is power with out control on a 39 HP bike :)

We ride a bit differently every day and the weight distribution plus savings helps in a variety of conditions that most Adv riders tend to stay away from.
Even though the KLR is the best selling dual sport, it really benefits from the adjustments that are available.

Not everyone can afford to ride a KLR :doh:
So every little bit helps.

Early Shorai's were not reliable when they 1st came out. Weight savings on a KLR? :-P

Yeah, that sorta struck me as an oxymoron. :rofl: I just run lead/acid. I replaced mine 3 years ago and it's still going good. I might just be lucky. i have to pull it out and check water level once in a while. I'm not sure those expensive lithium batteries are worth what they cost just for the lack of maintenance woes, even though getting at the battery is a bit of a pain compared to other bikes I've owned. I've left the screws out of the seat, just run the bungee I always have on it over the seat. That gets me at the battery a might easier.:lol2:

FYI, Motorcycle Superstore is running a sale on quite a few tires and my beloved Kenda's are on the list. So I should have 4 tires coming to me in two days. The cost for 4 tires and tubes ended up being $237 shipped to my door!

Yeah the acid from my OEM was eating up my cover. The lack of maintenance is golden. The late Tim Hutcherson re-powder coated my metals when I last hit a deer and with the non acid battery iys been good. The jumping was the main culprit for the acid bathe hitting metal.
I'm sure both Shorai and the Odessey companies have smoothed out their issues.
Moto mummy had an Internet sale and they are local to Round Rock so with no shipping it was a good deal.

So, KLR people.

I know it's been covered 1000 times, but want y'all opinion as well.

I'm looking at getting a KLR, torn between Gen 1 and Gen 2.

Is the gen 2 really THAT much better on road?

I'll spend most of my time on road, probably 80% road 20% dirt roads/trails.

Around here, they don't seem to really be that far apart in price. Just wondering what y'all's opinions are.

Thanks

So, KLR people.

Around here, they don't seem to really be that far apart in price. Just wondering what y'all's opinions are.

Thanks

My opinion, yes.
Much better road manners in the 2. Upgraded brakes, swingarm, fairing, bars and weights, etc.
For the same price definitely go with a 2.
As far as oil burning, the 08s and 09s were the oil burners, but if you stay above 5000 rpms for hundreds of miles, I have heard and seen ALL burn oil. Even the 1s.
I have done 600 mile days at 70 mph, and never really been sore. The 2 is a very comfortable ride especially with a few mods.

I have ridden both.
I have an 08, from new- 60K+miles and counting - 4X Mexico to 2X Canada and all in between coast to coast- another 4 K gets put on next week. IBA SS 1000 completed, and many 800 mile + days.

When the 08+ came out most of the comments were on looks and sentimental preferences.

The 08's+ have
1. larger brakes.
2. thicker and stiffer front forks
3. thicker spokes for stiffer wheels
4. stiffer rear swing arm.
5. much better lights
6. 17amp alternator instead of 14amp.
7. better wind protection.
8. better 'doo' , but spring still too long.
9. a significantly more efficient radiator.
10. Initial issues with the piston ring lands breaking in 07-, then the issues with 08's having the wrong ring pressure and oil usage, 09+ that was corrected.
11. '15+ have stiffer suspension

Performance is a wash. Both can be modified to suit you and what you want to do.

You would do well with either, at the right price. The rest are opinions.

So, KLR people.

Thanks

I've been leaning towards the gen 2, and seems to still go that way.

My commute to work is only 3 miles so extended high RPM won't be often, just long trips AFTER work and weekends lol.

Having owned four KLR 650's over the last ten years, I personally liked the Gen 1 over the Gen 2. Bikes owned by order of owning, 1995 Barbie, 2008 Kawasaki Green, 2004 Dark Red, and last a 2003 Olive Green. I preferred the Gen 1 because of the plastic on the bike, the Gen 2 bikes are more of a road bike as far as I'm considered, just a personal thing. I agree with what CamLeeR says about KLR's, she has had several as I have had. One thing I would consider if you want a KLR 650 is ride it with very few add-ons, trying to make this bike something it's not will just be dollars spent unwisely. I usually just added, hand guards, skid plate, GPS mount, and electrical accessory plugs for heated gear. As much as I like the KLR I'm not sure if I will ever buy another one, main reason is if the bike don't have fuel injection I don't want it. At 70 I'm tired of pulling carburetors and cleaning them because of todays fuels. Buy a KLR used and at a good price, ride it and you will probably get all your money back, you can't do that with many bikes out there.

John

What they said plus the Gen II is heavier which makes for a slightly more stable road ride.
The 2014 1/2 up besides the stiffer suspension mentioned also have a improved seat.
Major difference I felt when riding both is the Gen I has the skinnier front forks and aluminum triples and of course a much smaller front fairing and you can really tell the difference of the lighter front end off road.

But for your type of riding mentioned, the Gen II is by far the better choice.

The 09's had the deep hole issue.

But any Gen II 08,09 can easily be fixed of the oil burning issue and the deep hole issue for approx $300 bucks.
Many reasons why it's still the best selling Dual Sport.

Having owned four KLR 650's over the last ten years, I personally liked the Gen 1 over the Gen 2. Bikes owned by order of owning, 1995 Barbie, 2008 Kawasaki Green, 2004 Dark Red, and last a 2003 Olive Green. I preferred the Gen 1 because of the plastic on the bike, the Gen 2 bikes are more of a road bike as far as I'm considered, just a personal thing. I agree with what CamLeeR says about KLR's, she has had several as I have had. One thing I would consider if you want a KLR 650 is ride it with very few add-ons, trying to make this bike something it's not will just be dollars spent unwisely. I usually just added, hand guards, skid plate, GPS mount, and electrical accessory plugs for heated gear. As much as I like the KLR I'm not sure if I will ever buy another one, main reason is if the bike don't have fuel injection I don't want it. At 70 I'm tired of pulling carburetors and cleaning them because of todays fuels. Buy a KLR used and at a good price, ride it and you will probably get all your money back, you can't do that with many bikes out there.

John

Completely understandable.
I, too, wish they were fuel injected, and I don't even own one.

I would be more towards the gen 1 if I planned on doing more off-road, but if I were to want something more trail worthy, I would get another DRZ.

I can feel ya Trainman. I spent the morning pulling the carb at the Kermit sand dunes. Not the best place to be field stripping the carb.
Wasn't dirty from sand, but from the previous hole I had in my airbox that I fixed two days prior.

But I'd rather have to clean out a dirty carb in the middle of nowhere than have an injector go bad out there.
It was a simply untimely fix for sure. And it was the first carb malfunction in almost two years so I like the 26,000 trouble free miles at those stats.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 169
Back