• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KLR650 Thread

Very nice! Thanks for posting this one. Really like the gradual transition from desert scenery toward the mountains. Thought you handled those two-track up hill runs very well for a guy straddling a loaded KLR. The whole ride looks like some ideal stuff for that motorcycle.

I had a chance to ride the CDR this past summer from northern Idaho down to Steamboat Springs. It has it's spots but honestly - so much of it was seriously wide open spaces. Miles of wide dirt roads that were so well maintained aircraft could easily use them as runways. Biggest challenge was dodging all the deer, pronghorn and such. Wyoming has some really remote areas. At a couple of stops it was so doggone quiet I think I could hear the sun burning. :sun:

Thank you, we r going to head back to the GCDR this July and have some more fun. I enjoy the big open expanses the most, whether in the desert or up high, i enjoy the wide view.

Im on a biz trip ATM, but i was hoping the KLR group would hsve a meet n greet sometime in mid February, id love to see what people have done to their bikes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice trip, enjoyed the video. We did the NMBDR this year on a couple of KLR's, along a
lot of the same roads.
It would be neat to get a KLR meet-up together. Maybe somewhere central, like maybe Georgetown. I'm like you, I like seeing all the year models and what accessories they
have installed.

Yep, tire kicking a bunch of KLR's is always a hoot. Somebody said the bike is sorta like a can of cream of mushroom soup. OK on it's own but when we start adding all kinds of stuff to it... things can go in any direction - and in some really cool ways. I've had my 07 in a dirt configuration for years. It'll take a mediocre Hill Country trail and make it a fun trip. As GreenEggs&Ham Sam once said: "It's amazing how much fun you can have on $10 worth of gasoline." :rider:

There was a guy at Castroville last weekend that had a 95 KLR
It was the green and purple wild color design and it looked amazing.
Looked new. Had 9500 miles on it. Same miles as my 20 year
newer 2015.

01e508f8d4bb47b0cf6c0cf00b29e003.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01e508f8d4bb47b0cf6c0cf00b29e003.jpg

Any klr riders in San Antonio want to meet up some time we could do a run to the cove downtown during the weak or rides out buy Nixon smily area I have some routes that way going to Gonzalez

Any klr riders in San Antonio want to meet up some time we could do a run to the cove downtown during the weak or rides out buy Nixon smily area I have some routes that way going to Gonzalez

I’m down. I live in New Braunfels so all that Nixon Gonzales stuff is easy peasy. I also like Fredericksburg/ llano area a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just picked up my first klr, an 07. I live in the San Antonio area, I ride mostly in the hill country or Medina County. If anyone around wants to ride or knows of any maps of the county roads that are dirt I would appreciate the help.
Also if anyone has any bags for sale or knows of any i need some, thanks.

Last edited:
I’m located in Tyler, TX. So far have ridden my Klr to Austin and Houston. Had a small coolant leak on my trip to Austin, but fixed it and had no issues on my trip to Houston.

I’m down. I live in New Braunfels so all that Nixon Gonzales stuff is easy peasy. I also like Fredericksburg/ llano area a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I road with jmz that weekend we ended up in Gonzalas I thought I new some good rds but he blew me away with some new ones.

Not this weekend my son is showing in the stock show in Sa but Maby the next one we can get together and ride.

I just picked up my first klr, an 07. I live in the San Antonio area, I ride mostly in the hill country or Medina County. If anyone around wants to ride or knows of any maps of the county roads that are dirt I would appreciate the help.
Also if anyone has any bags for sale or knows of any i need some, thanks.

I bought some Nelson rig bags on Amazon and love them not real pricy but ben holding up good. Found some plastic bins that fit inside with lids to keep them open and not all sagging.
d47602c858504e29bab13ac5a8c03d4b.jpg

I bought some Nelson rig bags on Amazon and love them not real pricy but ben holding up good. Found some plastic bins that fit inside with lids to keep them open and not all sagging.
d47602c858504e29bab13ac5a8c03d4b.jpg

Yea they look pretty good i will check them out for sure, thanks.

Are any of you guys going to do that breakfast adventure 2 day ride in a couple weeks?

I mite but not both days probably meet and ride for a little bit then find a cool way back before dark

Has anyone seen a klr I think with neon green crash bars around I ran into him buy my house he lives close to me on the north east side told him about twt but never saw him again

I mite but not both days probably meet and ride for a little bit then find a cool way back before dark

Sounds good im probably going to try and knock out both days, camp out overnight, little cold never hurt anybody.

Sounds good im probably going to try and knock out both days, camp out overnight, little cold never hurt anybody.

Most of the time you can do both days in one depends on how fast the group is I try and stay in little groups usually there only 200-300 mile rides over the two days. Kids keep me from camping

Back