• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KLR650 Thread

Trouble in paradise.

So I had an interesting experience today riding to work. I am slightly ashamed to admit it but I threw my chain off my rear sprocket on my way to work. I have been planning to change my chain and sprockets a little to long and now it has to happen. I was able to get it adjusted out so I should be able to make it home but I need to get this figured out.

So my question is, what is a good sprocket set for commuters on a KLR. I currently run 60-70 mph every day for 15 miles or so and I would like to reduce the engine RPMs at speed. I currently run about 4800rpm at 70 and I would really like to get it down to 4k. I'm running stock sprockets with 15-43 and I am reading that I can go to 16-43 without issue. Any thoughts or experience with that?

Thanks in advance

Painted the KLR, someone had painted green with texture in it, I stripped it down to the plastic, and pained Sand and Kaki.

Attachments

• IMG_20190525_090404.jpg
    IMG_20190525_090404.jpg
    574.9 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_20190525_090411.jpg
    IMG_20190525_090411.jpg
    534.9 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_20190530_200251.jpg
    IMG_20190530_200251.jpg
    509.4 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_20190530_200256.jpg
    IMG_20190530_200256.jpg
    591.5 KB · Views: 469
Trouble in paradise.

So I had an interesting experience today riding to work. I am slightly ashamed to admit it but I threw my chain off my rear sprocket on my way to work. I have been planning to change my chain and sprockets a little to long and now it has to happen. I was able to get it adjusted out so I should be able to make it home but I need to get this figured out.

So my question is, what is a good sprocket set for commuters on a KLR. I currently run 60-70 mph every day for 15 miles or so and I would like to reduce the engine RPMs at speed. I currently run about 4800rpm at 70 and I would really like to get it down to 4k. I'm running stock sprockets with 15-43 and I am reading that I can go to 16-43 without issue. Any thoughts or experience with that?

Thanks in advance
Putting a 16 on the front lowers rpm by about 400 at those speeds. I got worse fuel mileage with the 16 than 15 especially when windy.

Started changing the sprockets and chain last night. I can say it was a little overdue.
I decided to go to a 16 in the front and stay with the 43 in the rear. I'll give it a try and if I don't like it, I can switch to a 15 again and get the prevailing torque nut at that time. Couple questions have come up, should I replace the wheel bearings while I have it off? (22k miles) Also, how do I know when the cush drive is worn out?

Started changing the sprockets and chain last night. I can say it was a little overdue.
I decided to go to a 16 in the front and stay with the 43 in the rear. I'll give it a try and if I don't like it, I can switch to a 15 again and get the prevailing torque nut at that time. Couple questions have come up, should I replace the wheel bearings while I have it off? (22k miles) Also, how do I know when the cush drive is worn out? View attachment 236775
View attachment 236776View attachment 236777

I keep a 14, 15 and 16 tooth front sprocket. I like running a 16 if I'm going to be doing a lot of highway, lets me cruise 75mph.
On the rear coupling damper, the shop manual says "Inspect the rubber dampers. Replace if damaged or deteriorated". Unless there
was damage or a bunch of slack, I wouldn't.

My thinking on bearings is that if they still feel smooth with your finger they will run indefinitely. When they feel rough or hitchy then you know they are in the process of failing. By all means, bearings are cheap and if you have them on hand after 22k miles, swap em. The wheel is off and on so often on my bike that I know it's not a great operation to get to and replace them.

I'll inspect the bearings a little more but will probably replace them I ordered a set with my chain and sprockets from KLR650.com.

For the cush drive, I think I'll leave it for now but probably order it and put it on the shelf for next time. There are a few parts dry rotted but not bad. I'll Chang in a couple thousand miles.

Flash Floods....

So I took the KLR to work yesterday, and of course got out during the middle of the downpour, I still had to make it to my second job so I had no choice but to go. On the way home I encountered about a foot of rushing water (I live in San Antonio). The bike ran fine and got me home, and this morning it fired up fine and came to temperature but as soon as you breathe on the throttle it stalls. Im guessing either a problem with a clogged vent, or maybe electrical, possibly a safety switch. I did check and the air filter was dry, oil was clean, so its not in the motor. Was wondering if anyone else had experienced these issues or has any advice.

As always any help is appreciated!!

Flash Floods....

So I took the KLR to work yesterday, and of course got out during the middle of the downpour, I still had to make it to my second job so I had no choice but to go. On the way home I encountered about a foot of rushing water (I live in San Antonio). The bike ran fine and got me home, and this morning it fired up fine and came to temperature but as soon as you breathe on the throttle it stalls. Im guessing either a problem with a clogged vent, or maybe electrical, possibly a safety switch. I did check and the air filter was dry, oil was clean, so its not in the motor. Was wondering if anyone else had experienced these issues or has any advice.

As always any help is appreciated!!
Now I'm not saying this will work, it very well may be what your describing, but I would give it a good stiff dose of carb cleaner in the tank and see if it helps.. easiest thing to do. Also, turn the jets all the way in while keeping track of how many revolutions, then back out to original position to see if it breaks up any trash.. is your air box wet and need to be opened up and dried out?

Now I'm not saying this will work, it very well may be what your describing, but I would give it a good stiff dose of carb cleaner in the tank and see if it helps.. easiest thing to do. Also, turn the jets all the way in while keeping track of how many revolutions, then back out to original position to see if it breaks up any trash.. is your air box wet and need to be opened up and dried out?

No, the air box was thankfully completely dry, trust me that was my first thought haha. I'll check the carb and the jets, but the bike ran fine before then and normally only sits for a day or two max, I commute on the bikes. Hopefully its just some gunk and the rain was just a weird coincidence.

A foot of water should not have caused any engine issues unless you fell over. Heck, I did water crossings on my KLR that were over the top of the front tire without any problems.

The only time I experienced what you are describing was after the bike had been sitting for a while and I had forgotten to drain the carb. The pilot jet would get clogged. The bike would start and idle, but if I even thought about trying to give it any gas, it would die. Sometimes, I could blip the throttle and get it past that part throttle position to full throttle position before it stalled and it would run at the higher RPMs. You CAN clean those pilot jets, but I was never able to do it successfully. I just bought a handful and kept them around in case I needed one. Then I would just toss in a new one and it would be good to go.

A foot of water should not have caused any engine issues unless you fell over. Heck, I did water crossings on my KLR that were over the top of the front tire without any problems.

The only time I experienced what you are describing was after the bike had been sitting for a while and I had forgotten to drain the carb. The pilot jet would get clogged. The bike would start and idle, but if I even thought about trying to give it any gas, it would die. Sometimes, I could blip the throttle and get it past that part throttle position to full throttle position before it stalled and it would run at the higher RPMs. You CAN clean those pilot jets, but I was never able to do it successfully. I just bought a handful and kept them around in case I needed one. Then I would just toss in a new one and it would be good to go.

Yea I know its weird, I've been through deeper crossings too, I guess I'll have to check out the pilot. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate any help.

It was the pilot, the water was just a really weird coincidence, back up and running, thank you for the advice!

Do you have a pict of your klr I also ride mine and live in Sa so next time I can wave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was the pilot, the water was just a really weird coincidence, back up and running, thank you for the advice!

Spares are cheap. I'd keep a couple in a drawer or even on the bike somewhere. You can always clean the one you remove later on.

Let me start the rumor mill.
I have no idea as to the legitimacy of this but looks super cool. One can hope.
I don't see a KLR without and stock back rack though.

View attachment 234167
Lol! Let's go back to THIS! Dying to know what Kawasaki might be up to for the KLR replacement! KLX 500/550, Versys X-? Gotta be something right? I like this a little...

Painted the KLR, someone had painted green with texture in it, I stripped it down to the plastic, and pained Sand and Kaki.
Thats one sweet looking KLR. I'm looking for a few riders interested in riding the Chispa road from Candalaria to Valentine and Esperanza this Dec 2019 or Feb 2020. I ride a DRZ400S and used to live in Tx but out of state now. If interested text me, Jack @702-333-8721. Thanks
Probably someone been playing with photoshop all night again
Looks nice

Attachments

• 20190506_153849.jpg
    20190506_153849.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 372
Anybody have ideas about, or opinions of....a supertrapp for the KLR? I have handbuilt an old fashioned exhaust with a glasspack and a 12” tailpipe ( see my avatar pic ) but it is too loud. I need a spark suppressor anyway so.....I was thinking that a supertrapp on the end might kill those two birds. Thanks y’all......

I have a 2012 with about 9k on it. Lots of extras.

$3500 in Houston

IMG_0865.JPEG

I have a 2012 with about 9k on it. Lots of extras.

$3500 in Houston

View attachment 251199
If you have not already, I would post that in the for sale area of the forum. That is a beautiful bike by the way.

Anyone's thoughts on a tall windscreen on a gen 1? How much of a difference does it make from stock? Would like to get my helmet out of the air if possible in the winter months. I really want a full fairing bike but the taller windscreen is a little bit cheaper.

Back