• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KLR650 Thread

Kojack, are you in the Georgetown area? I'm on the far west side of town, by the lake. I've seen somebody on a red KLR that lives in the Woods neighborhood but he never stops to talk.
I ride a black 2011 myself.

No. I'm in Temple and ride a DR650 or my KLX250 on the road. We were down looking at jackets and I saw the all black KLR. It was sharp.

No. I'm in Temple and ride a DR650 or my KLX250 on the road. We were down looking at jackets and I saw the all black KLR. It was sharp.

Cool, used to live up there on Industrial Ave. myself.... We'll have to hook up for a ride!

I just bought a 09 KLR with about 4k on it. I think the first owner was mostly a street rider since it has top and side cases and a lowered seat, but no crash bars or skid plate. For my short legs, the seat is great. My last dirt riding was forty years ago and it wasn't a lot, so this is a learning experience for me.

I bought it so I could go on rides like Roll The Bones. I'm looking for advice on whatever it takes to make it ready for gravel roads and sand...mods and farkles. I'm leaning towards SW motech crashbars and skid plate. I'll need to get hand guards. Do I need a fork brace? I seems to backfire when I'm backing of on the throttle. I assume the carb is stock. A Centerstand would be handy for repairs and flats. Tire tools? Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge,
Robert

Last edited:
the farkles you have listed is a good start. fork brace is an opinion kinda thing. i think for street riding they work good. the best thing you can do is practice. i'm kinda in the same boat as you. i grew up riding dirt and MX, but the last 20 years has just been street riding. now i'm trying to get my dirt legs back.

I live in a maze of unpaved, gravel county roads. I'll get used to the squirrley handling on loose gravel and avoiding hardened mud ruts by putting in the miles. Let's keep our KLR's upright.

Robert

i'm not sure how big a guy you are, but suspension upgrades are a must have if you are over 150 lbs. stock is to mushy. some good tires will also go a long way for dirt riding. from what i understand, backfiring is pretty normal for the KLR. is your bike all stock? bikes come from the factory tuned lean. might want to look into some carb mods. are you on some of the KLR forums? those guys know all the tricks. i'm still learning about the bike myself.

Zephyr. PM me your digits. We'll get you set up for RTB. It won't take much. Skid plate, fork oil, front springs, fork brace, some more Eagle Mike mods. I have an 06 that is capable of riding any dirt road in Texas.

BTW Zephyr. Two previous Rally Raids at RTB went very near or through Zephyr. Good riding country.

Bryan here, I'm in Cedar Park (just north of Austin). I don't have a bike YET, but I'm in the process of getting one and it will be a KLR. I've done some research and the KLR just seems to be the best bang for the buck. They can take one **** of a beating and still get you home. And it doesn't seem like it costs that much to fix. So, I don't know exactly when I'll get it, but I do know that's my next bike.

Bryan here, I'm in Cedar Park (just north of Austin). I don't have a bike YET, but I'm in the process of getting one and it will be a KLR. I've done some research and the KLR just seems to be the best bang for the buck. They can take one **** of a beating and still get you home. And it doesn't seem like it costs that much to fix. So, I don't know exactly when I'll get it, but I do know that's my next bike.

nice!:thumb:

I recently purchased Tricepilot's 2009 KLR. Looking for places around San Antonio to get into the dirt. Considering going up to Junction this weekend. Any suggested roads?

I recently purchased Tricepilot's 2009 KLR. Looking for places around San Antonio to get into the dirt. Considering going up to Junction this weekend. Any suggested roads?

I can defiantly suggest Coopers BBQ for lunch. It's }¥|%.€\+]=\¥.€,>=#+%~ GOOD!

James

Larry. Contact Trail Boss on this site and get his Hill Country guide. Google sanderjavant and get his routes off the net. He publishes them on some "routes" website. Or contact him here. Contact multi-surface rider here and ask him to share. That should keep you busy. Happy riding . ;)

And if you do go to Coopers go to the one in Llano and get the porkchop.

congrats on a very nice bike! according to Tricepilot, you will have to take her down to Mexico. :rider: "all bikes want their owners to take them there":mrgreen:

Venezuelan Fire Dept!! :deal:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 304
Back