• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KLR650 Thread

Yes I'll be there, can't hang-out on this thread one KTM, one YAMAHA & a bunch of HONDA'S. maybe some day I'll have a KLR. :rider:

KLR Brethren y Sistren :clap:,

Have pity on this, lost, wayward Moss-Ridden Soul for he not knoweth what he be a missin on ye KLR's! Let him pass in peace on his odd-horse(s) for he cannot hurt us :trust: :giveup:

KLR-Plunk :shock:,

Just attempted to go-out fer a ride, but No-Go... I know it's baaatttrey time. I would value ya'lls opinions of The-Best-Battery-Value available? Thx :clap:

Old farmer told me years ago..."Batteries and women can look really good but not be worth a hoot. When you find a good one, hang onto it."

V, the Earth battery in the 530 has been great. The Shorie it replaced hung in there for years and is now opening and closing our front gates. If weight isn't a concern then I'd just head for Wally and find an AGM with a decent warranty. FWIW...

i don't believe I ever posted to this thread. 2000 KLR, probably most know it. I don't ride it much on the highway anymore, but just re-upped the plate. I mostly use it to haul corn and such here on my place and I live down a rough 2 mile long private dirt road off a dirt county road. Lots of dirt around here. :D It's the perfect motorcycle for me. Sold my SV650 when I moved here. I've been thinkin' about a new 250 Honda dual sport, but I don't know. When I do reach the highway, it's 70 mph. :D

Shorai 2.7 lb lithium has done me good. MotoMummy had an internet sale. I ride everday and havent used a charger on it for 7 months and it starts right up even down to 27 degrees so far this winter.

Shorai 2.7 lb lithium has done me good. MotoMummy had an internet sale. I ride everday and havent used a charger on it for 7 months and it starts right up even down to 27 degrees so far this winter.

+2 on the Shorai lithium. Only been in a month now, but great cranking amps and no need for a tender!

I just rolled 2500 miles on my KLR how soon should I start to worry about the doohickey?

What year? The Gen I's need the Doo and spring replaced.
The Gen II have a upgraded Doo but the spring is the same.

I did mine at 500 miles with Eagle Mikes Doo and Torsion spring. His Doo is beefier and his torsion spring is a better design too.

It's all about peace of mind, cheap to do if you ask me.

Just google Eagle Mike and Doohickey and you'll get a ton of info.

If you need help just ask, we can give you a hand. I'm packing for the Kermit sand dunes then Uncles at big bend but will be back in Austin on Monday if you have any questions.

I used to hear KLR riders mention the doohickey, doowhackie, or thingamabob fix on these bikes, what are they referring to ? Sounds like a common problem with all of them, but I can't remember the details. If there is any of you dirt dobbers who know about the most common problem with these scooters or the meaning of that term, please let me know.

The doohickey is part of the counterbalancer system. It tensions the chain that drives the balancers. When it breaks, not only can your bike ingest various pieces of metal, but when you adjust your counterbalancer tension (which you should do at every oil change), it can go completely loose.

Thank ye kindly for that bit of information, I feel better now... Would you have an idea of the life expectancy on a new stock counterbalance tension doohickey ?

There was mention of some special tools required to perform the redo on the doo, would you what those tools consist of ? When I hear that "special tool" stuff I start thinking in terms of fabricate it yourself. Thanks for your input, keep the shiny side up, stay light on the bars...

There was mention of some special tools required to perform the redo on the doo, would you what those tools consist of ? When I hear that "special tool" stuff I start thinking in terms of fabricate it yourself. Thanks for your input, keep the shiny side up, stay light on the bars...

If it were me, I would get the special tools required. Borrow them if you like, but it would make it much easier. Basically it is an offset wrench to hold the flywheel, and a threaded flywheel removal bolt. Sure you could go buy a big enough wrench, heat and bend it to hopefully the right position. Then I'm sure if you went to a place like Metric and Multistandard they might be able to order up the correct bolt. But in all honesty, it would probably end up costing about the same but be much more time consuming.

And trust me, as someone that has homemade flywheel holders, welded vice grips, homemade workbench motor mount blocks, and a host of other home built things; it is worth either buying or borrowing these two tools.

Back