• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Know your limitations

Reaction score
First Name
David
A couple of videos that tell an amazing story. First video is the ride and fail and the 2nd is the recovery.
Please know your limitations and don't ever be afraid to turn around or just say No!
Pretty Amazing stuff.

:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

I've been up that road and past Schofield Pass in my old Cherokee, but always chickened and turned around long before that section. Just seeing the name, "the Devil's Punchbowl" on the forest map was enough to put me off and turn me back.

Among other things in this video, I'm impressed by the toughness of the camera.

Amazing video. Thanks for posting.

wow that's totally amazing. My friend lost a 4 hour old Penton 125 many years ago in Moab area when it fell off a 800 foot cliff after he jumped off. He never did recover the bike. Took him overnight to walk back to camp 18 miles away. He was on a steep sandstone side slope, and when he lost balance he jumped up and the bike went down... Poor guy was 19 at the time and had saved every penny he made for 2 years to buy the new bike. Now retired and 63, he still rides 250 days a year at least, mostly DS and offroad all over CO, UT and southern NV in the winter months. And yes he still rides alone much of the time, and has great breakdown stories to tell.

Some years ago up in Rocky Mountain NP, I bumped into a ranger while stopped for pictures on the Fall River Road. I asked if any vehicles were ever lost into the river gorge. Occasionally, he told me. I commented that it must be murder winching them back up. He winked at me and said "Nah, we just paint 'em green and call it good."

My bet is it was pretty ugly on the bike. For sale: lightly used KTM with all new fluids, brand new plastics. A few scratches here and there from rock riding. Runs great!

I don't know what happened, but Rick, the lucky survivor, is with a group of friends that go riding a lot. CMRA expert racers and at least Mark is a former AMA pro dirt tracker. They do a Colorado or Moab type ride at least once a year. That particular road is a class 7 ride.

I don't know what happened, but Rick, the lucky survivor, is with a group of friends that go riding a lot. CMRA expert racers and at least Mark is a former AMA pro dirt tracker. They do a Colorado or Moab type ride at least once a year. That particular road is a class 7 ride.
I bet he caught a rock lip and it sent him off the edge. I think I would want to be a TW200 on that road.

That section where he lost it is solid rock but cambers toward the falls and is slick. There are crevasses and ledges in those rocks that also angle over the edge. The line is right up against the wall. We rode this coming from Crested. It's a technical piece of trail for sure but not as bad as the camera makes it look. Dude just caught a bad break.

in my opinion.

he was nervous at the top... he got scared going down... then questioned the other rider at the bottom about that "section", then paused (thinking about it) before heading back up.

he psyched himself out.... and had already set himself up to fail.

i dont know if there is another way out... but if there is, he should have taken it.

That's the same video that was posted last week here on the "Know Your Limitations" post. I've been up just beyond Schofield Pass in my Cherokee, but chickened long before that section, the Devil's Potholes. If you catch me up there, I'll be on foot. :duck:

Back