• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ktm 1090 1190 1290 thread

Reaction score
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Shannon
Looking for advise before I take my 2018 ktm 1090 back to the shop under warranty. It’s brand new, 0 miles on purchase, now at 500. It runs fine but putt putting through towns where I go from 1st, 2nd, and then a stop sign it randomly stalls when I pull the clutch.

just asking if anyone has had this problem and what I need to know to tell the shop. Please no koolaid jokes or I shoulda bought “x” bike.

It’s just a bike and I have owned every variety. they all have their issues.

thanks, Kirk

Is it a dragging clutch while you are stopped?

no, it’s an rpm issue. The bike feels fine but randomly after several slow speed up and down it just dies as I pull up to a stop sign. I’m thinking fuel pump or filter, but I’m no mechanic

I experienced that on my 390 Duke, but it went away. My 790 would also be hard to start at first, but after 500 miles or so, it cleared up.

I've also read about gas cap and fuel venting issues on the KTM"s. Where a vent hose gets kinked and causes stalls and spewing gas from the gas cap.

I wonder if that might be it?

I experienced that on my 390 Duke, but it went away. My 790 would also be hard to start at first, but after 500 miles or so, it cleared up.

I've also read about gas cap and fuel venting issues on the KTM"s. Where a vent hose gets kinked and causes stalls and spewing gas from the gas cap.

I wonder if that might be it?

thanks Jarrett , I’ll check the lines. I would rather not take it to the shop 100 miles away if it’s a simple fix

I wonder how long the gas was in it. Brand new bike that has sat for atleast 2 years. I’d let them clean the gas tank and change your fuel pump filters. Fuel pump filter is a nuisance on KTMs for a lot of people. Also, check the petcock valves. Someone could have messed with them while it was on the showroom floor.

Does it start right back up?

yes, fires right back up as I’m rolling. I just hit the starter. I haven’t tried popping the clutch as I’m usually coming to a stop sign.

My EXC-F would "flame out" when new.
Kind of sounds like what yours is doing
Cleaned the fuel filter and run up the idle problem solved.

Unless ... you've desmogged the bike, removing the canister and SAS.
That requires an off-road dongle offered by Rottweiler.

I think looking at Jarrett’s post I might give it a few hundred more miles to see if it clears up on it’s own. Did it just start doing this or has it been going on from the beginning? My 1190 starts right up every time, but I’ve noticed my son’s 1090 usually quits a few seconds after the first start in the morning, but fires right back up and then runs fine.

Gracias for all the info so far. Yes Mitch it’s a brand new bike and I haven’t done any mods. It’s just under 500 miles so I’ll keep riding it for awhile since we can’t socialize anyway. Maybe it will break in and start behaving so I don’t have to take it back.

And @EETTU i am wondering the same thing. I picked it up with a 1/3 tank full. Was that from ‘18 or ‘20?

is it ok to run a fuel cleaner through a brand new engine?

I say it shouldn't need cleaner. If something is wrong with it get it documented and fixed. If you have bad gas I would think it would run bad .

Low idle?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

And @EETTU i am wondering the same thing. I picked it up with a 1/3 tank full. Was that from ‘18 or ‘20?

is it ok to run a fuel cleaner through a brand new engine?
Few issues with old gas. Ethanol absorbs water, light molecules evaporate leaving heavy hydrocarbons. Lower octane, higher viscosity, reduced combustion etc. The fuel pump filters on KTMs are sensitive. I had to replace my KTM 1290 filters in February. Fixed the problem immediately. It was an easy job that took less than an hour. My preference would be to have the dealer or yourself replace the filter. Even if the cleaner seems to fix the issue, you may get reduced performance and not know it until you replace the filter.
It was like $150 for the filter so you may want the dealer to take on that cost. Maybe they’ll just ship it to you so you don’t have to take it in.

You may also consider changing the brake fluid since it’s been two years or more.

I would take it back while it is doing it. This is not the first one and they should be able to tell you problem on phone. Don't get discouraged every bike I have owned has quirks from factory. Tell them you want the old filter to examine yourself. Put a secret scratch mark on it and take photo. The new one could do the same.

KTM does tend to set the idle mixture lean from the factory. To meet air quality controls. The shop should be able to richen it up a little bit. Might be an easy fix.

Bajaj has roughly a 48% stake in KTM. Where’s the 790 engine manufactured? China
It’s a pretty basic expectation of any vehicle to not die. It’s inexcusable that you’ll find this issue throughout their model range. Whatever you want to call it, flame-out, stalls, etc. It’s a well documented issue that goes back over a decade that I’m aware of, and still exists today. People love them, and continue to buy them...

Back