• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

EAST TX: KTM 1190R Adventure Sales Question

j650gs

Reaction score
Stumbled across a 2015 1190 Adventure at a dealership. Waited a month or so to inquire, as no price or mileage was listed. Bike has 37,000 miles on it. Obviously, that’s a lot of miles (I think), asking $6,000 + T’s. Having never owned a KTM and not knowing anything about the history of the bike, was wondering if others think that is a decent price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems decent with a couple caveats.
Any apparent mods to air cleaner such as an aftermarket Rottweiler or a less obvious Powercell? Subpar stock airbox has caused a few premature top end failures. Personally I would want to inspect airbox and butterflies to see if there were signs of dirt entry. Any mods or farkles added? With no maintenance history its a bit of a roll of the dice but well cared for it’s got many miles left.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good things to keep in mind. Haven’t had the guts to stop and check it out yet for fear of the old “gotta have it” bug. Drive by it twice a day. It sat at their sister dealership about 20 miles away for a while, then they moved it. Was told they “recently took it in on trade”. Was pretty surprised at the price, but they have been sitting on it a while.

As an owner of a big KTM adventure bike and with 22,000 issue-free miles, I will echo WTs concerns.
The airbox sealing problem seemed to get fixed by 2016.
Prior to that, the two halves didn't fit well, especially with non-OEM air filters.
I looked at mine at 15K miles and the air box was clean.

But, at 37K I would think that normal wear items and long-term maintenance items are needed.
Tune up, valves, clutch, chain/sprockets ... stuff that any bike would need.
History at this point is very important.

My input is based upon ownership and not reading forums on the interweb.
There's a lot of hate out there for the Orange blur.

Last edited:
Hey snowflake ... your bike is ready.

horsepower-jpeg.jpg

Confirmed, Rottweiler Performance kit. Also, ABS delete and radiator fan delete. I get the ABS, but why the fan?

Confirmed, Rottweiler Performance kit. Also, ABS delete and radiator fan delete. I get the ABS, but why the fan?

Something is not right. These bikes have to have a radiator fan without exception. Also, the 1190 has a high end ABS system along with traction control--with on and off road settings. The first generation ABS on the old 990s was really bad, and deleting it was an upgrade, but the 1190 KTM has high end electronics that would be silly to delete.
I am a person that is not scared to take chances on used bikes that need some TLC, and 37K miles in not an issue. I have been around these bikes since they have been out and I have never seen one without a radiator fan.

I would find another bike. Something is not right, and 6K for that bike at a dealership = red flags too. Too cheap.

I know the ABS delete is more than likely a dongle plugged into the diagnostics port.
I have a similar dongle plugged into mine to remember and not reset the nannies that I have enabled/disabled.

The fan ... that's a head scratcher. If I were to guess, its a solution (a poor one, but) to reduce heat that flows from under the tank and seat.
There are much better solutions. If you are interested, I'll be happy to share.

Again ... I found nothing about a "fan delete" mod on ADVRider. Lot's a folks world-wide visit the the specific section segregated for KTM Big V-Twins.

Really appreciate the info. I did get back with the dealership on the fan and this is the response, “The guy that traded it in wasn’t big on electronics”. Hmmmm....

The fan mod is to add a second one , one isn’t enough for off road riding . I’m a stickler for clean air in a motor and aftermarket filters that tout more air do so by not filtering the air so they have no place on any of my motors . My old 950 has 70k with no internal engine wear and clean oil samples . But that bike probly has issues , I would pass on it .

“The guy that traded it in wasn’t big on electronics”. Hmmmm....

That right there would skunk the deal for me. Can't see where that makes any sense.

I have an 15 1190 R with about every option upgraded to help filtration and heat management. Rottweiler, carbon side frame inserts, 1290 insulated rear header, dongle to make run less lean and hot, etc. It's now very acceptable in both areas.

I will say that while the Rottweiler intake is an excellently engineered product and I'm sure very effective the intake noise annoys me. Many say they love it but I'm not one of those. I've gotten used to it but if I were to do that part again I'd certainly investigate other options that may be a bit quieter before doing the same thing.

Since you are passing on it, maybe you can tell us where it is ?

East Texas Powersports
Lufkin, TX
936-639-1990

Did you get the VIN and have a service history run by a KTM dealer?
Obviously, it's not going to show what the owner did himself, but if there were issues the factory or dealer needed to address, it will show that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have not done that, haven’t even stopped to look at it yet. Really looking for something else with lower miles or a bike I know a little more about. Here is what is on the website: if anyone is interested (vin).
fe08f20425a8f38f50c2c1251f43c339.jpg

Just get a Beemer and you won’t have to worry about the 35 recalls that the KTM has. Plus it will start every morning.

Reactions: JMZ
I leaned that way last time and I’m leaning that way again. Keeping the 650, looking to go up in size.

Test ride the BMW and KTM on the same weekend. You'll then know where your personal preferences lie.

Good point. It’s the age old problem of, I like riding dirt but I spend a lot of time on the road getting to the dirt (because of where I live). I’ve spent 5 years getting the 650 more dirt capable but really spend little time in the dirt. I’ve whittled my “museum” as my wife it, down from 5 bikes to 2 but I see #3 on the horizon. I’ve never ridden an 1150, 1200 etc. or KTM’s equivalent and that could be a significant factor.

Good point. It’s the age old problem of, I like riding dirt but I spend a lot of time on the road getting to the dirt (because of where I live). I’ve spent 5 years getting the 650 more dirt capable but really spend little time in the dirt. I’ve whittled my “museum” as my wife it, down from 5 bikes to 2 but I see #3 on the horizon. I’ve never ridden an 1150, 1200 etc. or KTM’s equivalent and that could be a significant factor.

That's the reason when you take a trip you will see 300 GS'S to every KTM. We all live in Texas and to do gravel and dirt roads you don't have to be riding a KTM but you do have to get there on the pavement.

Back