• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM 690 Enduro R

@Dao is your secondary tank running to the over flow for the rear tank? If so, how’s that working? I ran mine to the pump as instructions suggested. My issue was not finding a proper place for the shut off, so it’s always gravity flow. Not a big issue so far and it kinda keeps the weight balanced evenly.

@Dao is your secondary tank running to the over flow for the rear tank? If so, how’s that working? I ran mine to the pump as instructions suggested. My issue was not finding a proper place for the shut off, so it’s always gravity flow. Not a big issue so far and it kinda keeps the weight balanced evenly.

yes, mine's routed through the gas cap vent hose. i'm on tank refill #2, so i don't have alot of data, but it's siphoning fine....

.as long as bike's not dropped.

If dropped a couple times, air gets into the siphoned hose, & disconnects fuel flow. Easy fix: after picking up bike, take vent tube from front tank, blow through it to manually prime, pushing any trapped air out of the fuel hose, and that will get the fuel from front tank flowing again to the rear.

speaking of gas cap....i won't go into all that's wrong w/ ktm one...but the $100+ aftermarket gas cap is a must.

so is the immediate removal & replacement of this KTM nuclear furnace melting gizmo
MVIMG-20200219-092507.jpg

again, won't go thru all the bad w/this stocker, it's all out there,
just set aside $400-$600, dump that sucker.

It's NUTS how hot that stock pipe gets. Is there a catalytic converter in it? Anyhoo, mine was gone before the first service was done.

Last edited:
on any bike w/ gas tank up front, that hot muffler isn't a concern whatsoever. but b/c the 690 has it running full length across the plastic fuel tank/subframe, it's raising the fuel temps. w/ fuel pump submerged in saturated heated fuel, fuel pump+intank filter don't live a long & normal life. That's the biggest reason to ditch it....plus, it's an easy 12 lbs savings, plus the killer midrange gain- 3rd & 4th gear wheelies w/ a quick whack of the throttle.

Does it need a remap?

if bike keeps flaming out right off the throttle,
if, when accelerating, there's a flat spot somewhere along the throttle where bike's not pulling linearly
if, when decellerating, it's popping out the pipe and/or out the air filter

these are some symptoms that would prompt me to look into / do a remap.

So far, I don't have any of those conditions on mine, before or after the new pipe & foam filter pod mods. I ran 93 oct 10% ethanol Costco gas on the last two tanks, and it ran fine. i'm now running 90 oct pure gas, and i don't find any different feel between the 2. Reason why i'm switching to pure gas is, i dont' see myself riding this 690 on distances long enough to deplete both tanks down but once every 4-6 months, just like that of my vstrom. so im playing it safe w/ no ethanol gas sitting in the two tanks for that long of a period.

Since this is my 1st summer w/ this 690, where my temp gauge sits, thermostat fully open, is 2 bars blelow max'ed out.

[IMG]
I
is this where y'alls temp sits at? it's OK where it's at? or should i try/do something to drop the temp bars down a couple notches?

Since this is my 1st summer w/ this 690, where my temp gauge sits, thermostat fully open, is 2 bars blelow max'ed out.

[IMG]
I
is this where y'alls temp sits at? it's OK where it's at? or should i try/do something to drop the temp bars down a couple notches?
Yes, that’s where mine always is. Doesn’t even kick the fan on until about that. Stays steady there.

Reactions: Dao
ok...getting it prepped for 7 days camping & riding in the rockies,

shake down ride was pretty sketchy w/ it currently loaded down at 420 lbs, 4.5 gals fueled up. I can feel the rear weight hanging off the back just overpowering the front end. the front end starts to sway sideways at 55 mph so i need to do something w/ this stock suspension.

Last edited:
I ordered under seat storage. I wanted to do the extra gas but the warden has put me on a budget. We picked up 4.5 acres that has diverted my cash flow. So hopefully when it cools off a bit I’ll get out some.

I sure wish I lived somewhere that I could utilize one of these as intended.

Good point, I consider this just a little more comfortable than a dirt bike for me. So around here, too much asphalt to get to good roads and such. Live in Arkansas or Co, yippee.

Good point, I consider this just a little more comfortable than a dirt bike for me. So around here, too much asphalt to get to good roads and such. Live in Arkansas or Co, yippee.
It's ok if you don't want one. Move on. This is not the 'what do you think about the 690' thread.

Why post negative thoughts, just move on.

Sorry to be so blunt about it. Ask questions if you're curious. But, what good does it do to blurt out negative opinions in a positive thread?

But I'll add that it isn't just a comfortable dirt bike. If you're having to do a long stretch on pavement between your awesome off road adventures the 690 adds stability and the ability to cruise at 80mph a day. It also carries gear much better than a dirt bike. And it does this while getting 3x the miles between service intervals.

Just sip the 690 kool-aid once and you'll be guzzling it like a beer bong by the end of the trip.

Last edited:
Back